How can I better my chances with the heat?

" When it gets hot it doesn't hurt to go commando or free balling. Not only is it a cool and liberating feeling but also a great conversations starter. Try it you can't go wrong."

That would be a heck of a trick if Asinine was a girl.

Is A9 is loading all out try backing it down and make it a marathon rather than a sprint.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Im back to work for a few weeks now and yesterday was the worst by far. We got hit with a huge storm that took out power and knocked over trees. It took me an hour and 10 minutes to make it to my route and an hour and a half to make it back to teh building. My route is about 15 minutes from the building. Once the strom passed the humidity just came in. Now add a late start to delivering and playing catch up all day plus sitting in bumper to bumper traffis and the heat got the best of me yesterday. So much so I had to call in today because I was puking and cramping all night. Some of it is on me for sure. I should have drank plenty of water, gatorade on Sunday but I slipped up and didnt.

Drink plenty of fluids and prep yourself in advance, dont wait until your thirsty. Be safe!

Integrity

Binge Poster
So long story short, I went home early today after loading for maybe 3 hours. The one contribution factor being the insanely hot weather we've had down here today (heat index being at 115). People were literally dropping like flies. I was wondering, what could I be doing differently to better cope? I literally have a pretty strict healthy diet and the 6 meals a day. I usually only drink water and if not, it's juice. Also, I come in with light basketball shorts and short sleeves like suggested, but it seemed even then it didn't help. I really hated to leave, but I was having a migraine from hell and could feel that if I had been loading any longer in the longbed I was in, I would have passed out. I was just wondering if anyone had anymore "tips" I could use to help me deal a little bit better with the heat. Although I am good at what I do, I feel that if I have too many of these days, not only are my co workers going to think less of me, but may get me in a sticky situation with management.
Asinine,

During a heat advisory you should take frequent breaks as needed.

Do not work as strenuosly as you would on days when there is not a heat advisory.

Sincerely,
I

Converge

Frozen bandana is probably the genesis for the cooling bandana's QVC/HSN sells. They really do work. Please remember that no package is worth heat stroke. We had a kid pass out, wake up and puke. The center manager patted him on the back and sent him back in the feeder on a 100 degree day with 100% humidity. He should have gone to the hospital. Please be careful. Very careful. Gatorade. Good luck!

Thats ridiculous...

Integrity

Binge Poster
That's funny! My management team seems to think I should continue to perform at my "demonstrated sporh" no matter what the weather is like.
idrivethetruck,

What your management team thinks has very little to do with properly conducting yourself during a heat advisory.

You are responsible for taking care of yourself regardless of their improper thinking.

Sincerely,
I

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
Know the signs of dehydration.
YOU do not want to progress to HEAT EXHAUSTION.

Heat exhaustion can progress to heat stroke when the body's temperature regulation fails.
The affected individual becomes confused, lethargic and may have a seizure, the skin stops sweating and the body temperature may exceed 106 friend (41 C ).

Your management team is receiving daily emails reminding them to remind you to know the signs of dehydration.

You will stay HYDRATED.
This is a life-threatening condition and emergency medical attention is needed immediately.

over9five

Staff member
Know the signs of dehydration.
YOU do not want to progress to HEAT EXHAUSTION.

Heat exhaustion can progress to heat stroke when the body's temperature regulation fails.
The affected individual becomes confused, lethargic and may have a seizure, the skin stops sweating and the body temperature may exceed 106 friend (41 C ).

Your management team is receiving daily emails reminding them to remind you to know the signs of dehydration.

You will stay HYDRATED.
This is a life-threatening condition and emergency medical attention is needed immediately.

+1

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
The biggest mistake people make is not hydrateing enough before you star work. I've been driven for yrs. and did block work, MASONRY, started that at 15 yrs. old and did it until 27yrs. old. worked in direct sun with NO shade whatso ever during dawg days of summer.

Nothing worse then direct sun on a hot day with a hard labor job like concrete. Even beets my UPS driven nlees I'm suck in package compartment sorting my load looking for the piece that ain't There, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

You must get plenty of fluids at least an hour before you start and then maintan your fluids throughout your workday. Also try increasing your salt intake cause it helps slow down the loss of fluids, and only drink 1 cup of coffee if needed.

The reason people struggle is cause they take in little fluids before work and don't realize they are partially dehydrated before they even start. The work gets to them then they pound down water and it's only to try to keep up with what they are looseing and to much water after the fact causes you to loose electrolites which assists in the fatigue and makes you worse off and nauseous.

Drink plenty of water early before work. empty your bladder so you ain't working like a child, lol. fluid some more and if it's a real hot day take in plenty of salty snakcs before work. Then you maintn fluid during work and you should be good.

signs of dehydration: 1 of the first signs is dry or chapped lips.
2 fatigue, nausea.
3 you stop sweeten, this ones pretty serious.

Chapped lips is usually the first sign.

Get a cooler and fill it 3 quarters and put in freezer overnight. I do it right after I get home from work so I wont forget. fill it up before u go in to work and you'll b devistating those packages like a pro.

I find it funny how my C.M. tells me how to hydrate while I'm holding my 1 gallon froozing water cooler. LoL. Hydrate BEFORE WORK.

Converge

Yeah, right. So are people posting under 15 different monikers.

Was talking about the situation with the person being sent back into the trailer. I probably should of edited the quote to just the section of the management/person being sent back in part. Sorry

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Yes hydration is very important BUT, the cooling of the blood is also. A ice soaked rag rung out on your head, then held at the curve of your elbow, knee, and neck, and you are brand new. Yes you will look like a sweaty wreck but who cares, you will be alive.

it may look a little unproffesional being all wet, but much more professional than being in a coffin.

Converge

Did the sup send him back in the load with a tote and tell him 'don't get any on the pkgs'?

Happened during my unload days once.

Ugh, that just sounds miserable. I almost crashed at work tonight because I ate way to light before work because of how hot it was and was more focused on the fluids and just lost all my energy about a half hour before the sort was down. never wanna feel that way again.