How can I better my chances with the heat?

ibleedbrown

So long story short, I went home early today after loading for maybe 3 hours. The one contribution factor being the insanely hot weather we've had down here today (heat index being at 115). People were literally dropping like flies. I was wondering, what could I be doing differently to better cope? I literally have a pretty strict healthy diet and the 6 meals a day. I usually only drink water and if not, it's juice. Also, I come in with light basketball shorts and short sleeves like suggested, but it seemed even then it didn't help. I really hated to leave, but I was having a migraine from hell and could feel that if I had been loading any longer in the longbed I was in, I would have passed out. I was just wondering if anyone had anymore "tips" I could use to help me deal a little bit better with the heat. Although I am good at what I do, I feel that if I have too many of these days, not only are my co workers going to think less of me, but may get me in a sticky situation with management.

have u had any luck staying cooler?

Asinine

Thanks everyone for the advice. I am definitely trying to stay more hydrated throughout the day- before shift and during. Usually I really don't do too bad even when the temperature is in the low 90s but like I said, all in all it was basically up to 115 degrees. Yesterday was suppose to get nearly just as bad but we had a big storm and everything cooled down quiet a bit. Today is only suppose to be around 89, so I should do just fine besides the usual sweating like a dog and having to put up with our oh so genius sup!

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
The most important thing is to hydrate the day before. Avoid food and drinks that dehydrate the day before and during work. The body works off the fluids from the day before, once you feel thirsty its too late.

air_dr

When it gets hot it doesn't hurt to go commando or free balling. Not only is it a cool and liberating feeling but also a great conversations starter. Try it you can't go wrong.
This thread brings back memories of working in the hub...

Sometimes I'm just not up to speed on words I realize I should probably know...and I guess it's better to ask than assume, cuz, well you know...

Anyway...what's going "commando" or "free balling?"

UnconTROLLed

perfection
So long story short, I went home early today after loading for maybe 3 hours. The one contribution factor being the insanely hot weather we've had down here today (heat index being at 115). People were literally dropping like flies. I was wondering, what could I be doing differently to better cope? I literally have a pretty strict healthy diet and the 6 meals a day. I usually only drink water and if not, it's juice. Also, I come in with light basketball shorts and short sleeves like suggested, but it seemed even then it didn't help. I really hated to leave, but I was having a migraine from hell and could feel that if I had been loading any longer in the longbed I was in, I would have passed out. I was just wondering if anyone had anymore "tips" I could use to help me deal a little bit better with the heat. Although I am good at what I do, I feel that if I have too many of these days, not only are my co workers going to think less of me, but may get me in a sticky situation with management.
Slow down. Marathon, not sprint.

air_dr

I remember a high school track meet once where the coach of one of the opposing teams put one of his quarter milers into the two mile race, probably to give him a new experience. This guy sure got off to a quick start and the coach kept yelling to him "Slow down!" I thought "Listen to your coach," but for selfish reasons.

Before we reached the first mile I had caught up to him and passed him and I ended up finishing way ahead of him...he was really hurting by the end.

Last edited:

whiskers

This thread brings back memories of working in the hub...

Sometimes I'm just not up to speed on words I realize I should probably know...and I guess it's better to ask than assume, cuz, well you know...

Anyway...what's going "commando" or "free balling?"

It's when you don't wear any underwear.

Dizzee

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
Practice, practice, practice. Work on your free throws and your inside game. A good defensive game is invaluable also. Out of curiosity, why would you want to be on the same team as that ass, Lebron? :wink2:

moreluck

golden ticket member
Practice, practice, practice. Work on your free throws and your inside game. A good defensive game is invaluable also. Out of curiosity, why would you want to be on the same team as that ass, Lebron? :wink2:

OK, I totally clicked to the next thread, then delayed reaction......laughed like crazy !!!Good one Dizz!! :happy-very:

air_dr

When it gets hot it doesn't hurt to go commando or free balling. Not only is it a cool and liberating feeling but also a great conversations starter. Try it you can't go wrong.
It's when you don't wear any underwear.
So going "commando" is the same thing as "free balling"... i can see the "cool and liberating feeling" part, but it sounds a bit risky...especially in light weight basketball shorts. Sounds more like what you want to sleep in. If I could have gotten away with it, I would have worn no shirt before I would have not worn boxers. I want that bit of protection...As far as the conversations starter...I can't quite picture that...I think it might have given some guys wrong ideas...

air_dr

Another thing I thought of listing which no one has said here yet that I think helps keep a person cooler: a short buzz hair cut. I keep my hair really short year round, but feel the need for a hair cut more often when its hot, and afterwards feel much more comfortable.

I know some people, even guys, like long hair, and to each his own. I don't especially think it looks bad, but I don't know how they can stand it, especially working in a place like a UPS hub.

Conan04

When I sort on my preload shift, I bring a two or three quart bottle of frozen water or gatorade with me with a some liquid on the top of the bottle. On some hot mornings, it completely melts.

bigbrownhen

I keep a spritz bottle of water in the truck. I spray my legs, arms, neck and sometimes my hair. Concentrate on the elbows, back of knees, and ankles like Tooner said. It helps alot.
Hubby heard good things about those Frog Tog chiller towels. They are rather pricey, and I didn't care for the texture of it. I gave it to him. A regular towel soaked in ice water does the same. I have used a torn strip of the "ice towel" hung around the back of my neck when it gets really cookin with good results. Also, drink alot of water. If you feel shakey or weak, gatorade is a good boost.

These hints are more for the drivers. There isn't much of a breeze on preload or sort, so the spray bottle wont be much help. All I can suggest is hydrate like the others have posted.