How can you tell me that with a straight face?

brown metal coffin

I went out the other day with a helper and had him for 3 hours. The following day by center manager says that I was 135 paid over. They sent me out with the same amount of stops and pieces that I would normally have for a regular heavy day by myself. I used the helper for less time than I was allotted and more than doubled the team stops per hour. I also explained to him that having a helper does not increase time allowance but it decreases it because they expect you will be done sooner. The truck in most cases can only be in one place at a time and its tough to get a helper acclimated to the route when you have had a third different one in 3 days. I mean sheesh after 24 years I would think that they would not try to insult my intelligence in the most basic of ways but (wait for it…) I was wrong again…. The other funny thing about the bean counters in the four wall no window cubicles in Atlanta. They seem to give the same time allowance for everything. a 69 pound snow plow part = the same as a 1 pound amazon box. Not complaining just find it funny. Pay me Pay me Pay me. Im fine with it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Did you use him for 3.00 hours or 2.99? The .01 difference can be huge-----if you use him for 3.00 you may as well use him for 3.99.

I had two cribs to deliver the other day. Each weighed 130 lbs. I had to helper load them on to the pkg car-----there was no one there to help me unload them. Positioned the PC so that the passenger door was as close to their front door as possible, walked the cribs out of the car and to the delivery point. A stop that would normally take 30 seconds took 5 minutes. The sad part is when I went to the UPS Store for their pickup one of the cribs was sitting there waiting for me. They had ordered the wrong color and were issued an RS tag to return it. It was even heavier the second time I handled it.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Did you use him for 3.00 hours or 2.99? The .01 difference can be huge-----if you use him for 3.00 you may as well use him for 3.99.

I had two cribs to deliver the other day. Each weighed 130 lbs. I had to helper load them on to the pkg car-----there was no one there to help me unload them. Positioned the PC so that the passenger door was as close to their front door as possible, walked the cribs out of the car and to the delivery point. A stop that would normally take 30 seconds took 5 minutes. The sad part is when I went to the UPS Store for their pickup one of the cribs was sitting there waiting for me. They had ordered the wrong color and were issued an RS tag to return it. It was even heavier the second time I handled it.

Dave, don't you find this odd?
UPS, with their super-computers, can't reconcile helpers time by the minute in relation to our allowances?
Why would this be the case?
It's just stupid and the reason I always keep the helper 5 minutes past the whole hour when possible.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Dave, don't you find this odd?
UPS, with their super-computers, can't reconcile helpers time by the minute in relation to our allowances?
Why would this be the case?
It's just stupid and the reason I always keep the helper 5 minutes past the whole hour when possible.

It's entirely stupid.

I tell my helper on the first day about this and that I will report his hours under the whole hour and on the last day I will bump his time by an hour or two to make up the lost time.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
It's entirely stupid.

I tell my helper on the first day about this and that I will report his hours under the whole hour and on the last day I will bump his time by an hour or two to make up the lost time.

Thank you for your candor, but I think you know I am going to tell you that is clearly dishonest.
Are you doing it this way in order to earn bonus?
Why not just accurately record the time and put the problem back in their lap?
If we all did it, the problem might be corrected.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I pick and choose my battles and this is one that I do not wish to fight. It is usually a matter of ten minutes here and ten minutes there. I take my helper out to lunch on our last day-----this is where the time is made up.

I used to record any time spent wrapping up my pkg car as sort and load. Our new center manager told us no more sort and load time in the DIAD. Again it's not a battle worth fighting.

over9five

Staff member

I used to record any time spent wrapping up my pkg car as sort and load. Our new center manager told us no more sort and load time in the DIAD. Again it's not a battle worth fighting.

I wouldn't either. We get paid the same no matter how it's coded off.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I pick and choose my battles and this is one that I do not wish to fight. It is usually a matter of ten minutes here and ten minutes there. I take my helper out to lunch on our last day-----this is where the time is made up.

In reality aren't you fighting this battle after all, albeit covertly, by falsifying time cards?
Why not comply or just accurately report your helpers time?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Helpers do not punch in and out on a daily basis----we report their times. Mgt has no idea how long they are on the car other than what we tell them. This year Peak is 17 days. For 16 of them I will use the .99 system and on day 17 I will make up the difference. To me it is not worth the battle of getting bitched at for 16 days for something as trivial as a helper working 10 minutes past the magical .99 threshold. Now, if we are closer to 4.99 than 3.99, I will round up. It all works out in the end.

Ouch

Who cares what your overallowed is. Thats their bs way to tell you to work harder. As long as you are working a safe steady pace dont worry about it. Next time the center manager talks to you tell him he is overallowed on his time with you.

C

chuchu

I went out the other day with a helper and had him for 3 hours. The following day by center manager says that I was 135 paid over. They sent me out with the same amount of stops and pieces that I would normally have for a regular heavy day by myself. I used the helper for less time than I was allotted and more than doubled the team stops per hour. I also explained to him that having a helper does not increase time allowance but it decreases it because they expect you will be done sooner. The truck in most cases can only be in one place at a time and its tough to get a helper acclimated to the route when you have had a third different one in 3 days. I mean sheesh after 24 years I would think that they would not try to insult my intelligence in the most basic of ways but (wait for it…) I was wrong again…. The other funny thing about the bean counters in the four wall no window cubicles in Atlanta. They seem to give the same time allowance for everything. a 69 pound snow plow part = the same as a 1 pound amazon box. Not complaining just find it funny. Pay me Pay me Pay me. Im fine with it.
Non-trained helper=overallowed. Tell the center manager you had a safe day in spite of the handicap they gave you.
I asked management if they were going to pretrain helpers on the diad this year. He said "oh, yes...HR's coming in to train them". They sure did. With the wrong diad boards. Can't fix stupid.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Who cares what your overallowed is. Thats their bs way to tell you to work harder. As long as you are working a safe steady pace dont worry about it. Next time the center manager talks to you tell him he is overallowed on his time with you.
Ditto dude. I could give 2 hoots about their make believe numbers lol.

gingerkat

Helpers do not punch in and out on a daily basis----we report their times. Mgt has no idea how long they are on the car other than what we tell them. This year Peak is 17 days. For 16 of them I will use the .99 system and on day 17 I will make up the difference. To me it is not worth the battle of getting bitched at for 16 days for something as trivial as a helper working 10 minutes past the magical .99 threshold. Now, if we are closer to 4.99 than 3.99, I will round up. It all works out in the end.
Do you explain in detail to your helpers why this is? Obviously they agree, right? I always wonder how it works with the driver, but my time starts/stops when I step on and off that truck. If it came down to it and the helper was keeping accurate records of their own, this could be a big problem.

C

chuchu

Do you explain in detail to your helpers why this is? Obviously they agree, right? I always wonder how it works with the driver, but my time starts/stops when I step on and off that truck. If it came down to it and the helper was keeping accurate records of their own, this could be a big problem.
Falsification is dishonesty listed under Art 17. It all works out until it doesn't.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

No, I don't explain the reasoning behind the .99 because to be honest I don't really understand it. My helper this year is a preloader----he will not be shorted any time (in the long run).

C

chuchu

No, I don't explain the reasoning behind the .99 because to be honest I don't really understand it. My helper this year is a preloader----he will not be shorted any time (in the long run).
And preloaders can be air drivers governed by DOT hours. You can be terminated for changing or falsifying their DOT record. That whole scheme is playing with fire. UPS fired a sup in our center for changing hours of service and they'll get rid of you quicker.