How dare UPS layoff workers after profitting $5.8 BILLION in 2010?

M

MenInBrown

Regardless of what they say about profit..this is a billion dollar company and always will be..look at the volume...volume is up so there for profits will be up.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
By BOB SECHLER

United Parcel Service Inc. has stopped lobbying Congress to approve a labor provision opposed by rival FedEx Corp., acknowledging that the battle appears to be over at least for the next two years.
"The current Congress does not appear disposed to addressing this inequity in labor law," UPS spokesman Norman Black said during an interview.
Mr. Black said UPS still thinks it is in the right and likely will take up the issue again if political winds shift. For now, however, "we're no longer engaged in any lobbying activities around it," he said.
UPS, as well as the International Brotherhood of Teamsters, backed the labor provision that would have made it easier for some FedEx truck drivers and other employees to unionize by putting them under the same law governing UPS employees.

804brown

Can we change the title for "How dare not to hire new workers..."?:)

No, first you stop any lay offs. These are brothers and sisters with over 20 years. When you fix that problem, then we talk about hiring new workers. Especially when you have management breaking up loads every day and sending drivers out with crazy loads as well as complicit drivers who concede to going home . The volume is there. It is greedy corporate management which only wants to squeeze the members into doing "more with less"- increasing stops per car, increasing pieces per hour for inside people. For what?? What are we getting out of this?? Besides tired and injured bodies, NOTHING. They get higher profits, higher stock prices and the next contract they wil cry "There is no $$ for you. Competition blah blah blah".
We have to start saying NO MORE. Solidarity and resistance is the only way!

menotyou

bella amicizia
No, first you stop any lay offs. These are brothers and sisters with over 20 years. When you fix that problem, then we talk about hiring new workers. Especially when you have management breaking up loads every day and sending drivers out with crazy loads as well as complicit drivers who concede to going home . The volume is there. It is greedy corporate management which only wants to squeeze the members into doing "more with less"- increasing stops per car, increasing pieces per hour for inside people. For what?? What are we getting out of this?? Besides tired and injured bodies, NOTHING. They get higher profits, higher stock prices and the next contract they wil cry "There is no $$ for you. Competition blah blah blah".
We have to start saying NO MORE. Solidarity and resistance is the only way!

Why is it certain centers are laying off and others are hiring? Makes no sense to me. Transfer the affected employees if they want. Screw the local territory lines. I would move if it meant keeping my job.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Why is it certain centers are laying off and others are hiring? Makes no sense to me. Transfer the affected employees if they want. Screw the local territory lines. I would move if it meant keeping my job.
Depends on the area. Northern Virginia has been booming for years, the growth never seems to stop. Even at the lowest point of the downturn we only had a few junior drivers (less than a year FT) laid off, and they weren't gone long. It's a good place to be working during a recession. The downside is watching huge swaths of beautiful countryside and farmland getting bulldozed into more cookie cutter housing developments and shopping centers year after year. And the traffic sucks.

FEGuy

Depends on the area. Northern Virginia has been booming for years, the growth never seems to stop.

Um, you do understand how the package business at UPS works, right? A booming, commercial & residential area is nothing but a huge money drain on UPS. Have you never heard that UPS makes nothing delivering packages? UPS makes money picking up packages. You can deliver all day to a shopping center and residential area and all you've done is put a drain on the bottom line in that center. That might be why there are lay offs in one place and not enough (seemingly) drivers in another. Just a thought.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Um, you do understand how the package business at UPS works, right? A booming, commercial & residential area is nothing but a huge money drain on UPS. Have you never heard that UPS makes nothing delivering packages? UPS makes money picking up packages. You can deliver all day to a shopping center and residential area and all you've done is put a drain on the bottom line in that center. That might be why there are lay offs in one place and not enough (seemingly) drivers in another. Just a thought.
That's all very well, but the reason we don't have layoffs in my area is because we have lots of packages to deliver, which is all I was saying.

What a load of crap. I've heard junk like this for as long as I can remember from management.

"UPS doesn't make any money delivering ground packages."
"UPS doesn't make any money in the summer."
"UPS makes all their profit in December."
"If you guys weren't unionized, UPS would pay you more than you make now."

I really hope nobody actually believes this stuff. Everyone that works for this company knows how greedy they are, if they aren't making money off something -- they AREN'T doing it.

upsgrunt

What the heck? Why don't we do away with the delivery side and just make pickups? We'd have loads of cash! I'll tell you why- because fulfilling the shippers contract requires that we actually deliver their picked up merchandise. They are funny that way.

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
Hoaxter your right we had a good chance of fixing that, but answer me this. Why did UPS not turn any of their republican senators in favor of this? UPS did not use any of their pull to help the Teamsters and other unions. Does UPS really want this? Or do they want to keep crying that FedEx is non union and our costs are too high because of us using union labor?

If you ask me, UPS wants it the way it is and they do not want FedEx to unionize or even play on the same field.

When was the last time you saw a Republican senator do ANYTHING that favors a union? Mitch McConnell is the senior senator from Kentucky, AND the Republican Minority Leader in the senate. You DO KNOW which company is the largest private employer in the state of Kentucky, right? (Hint: think Worldport, and browntail....) Anyway, when FedEx started that 'brown bailout' nonsense, I wrote Sen. McConnell a letter pleading with him to protect Kentucky jobs....guess what his reply was? Actually, you can't guess, because I could NOT, even after repeated readings, figure out what the mealy mouthed SOB thought about the issue. His letter was a masterpiece of B.S.

Besides, everyone knows that the reason the democrats were drubbed in the 2010 elections is because everyone believes in the pure, virtuous business man as hero of the hour. If it wasn't for the Dagny Taggarts, Hank Reardons, and John Galts of the world, we would all be cannibals feeding on each other. Ask Rand Paul. I swore that Kentucky couldn't have a worse senator than Jim Bunning...boy was I wrong.

FEGuy

What the heck? Why don't we do away with the delivery side and just make pickups? We'd have loads of cash! I'll tell you why- because fulfilling the shippers contract requires that we actually deliver their picked up merchandise. They are funny that way.

I'm sorry that you don't understand my post. I'll check again, but I never said, nor implied that we should do away with the delivery side. I simply pointed out a fact. If your center is delivering more than you are picking up, it's not making money the way that it should. Pretty sure that is why we are all here, to make some money, whether it is the "Company" the "managers" the "stockholders" or just "us" the grunts down at the bottom.

Jumbo mech

Wow! What a surprise. Corporate America is greedy and doesn`t give a crap about it`s workers. The few Americans it has left! Get used to it. The American worker keeps voting in Tea********, antiworker, antiunion, republicans who love outsourcing and destroying the unions that made this country great! Their trying to destroy collective bargaining in Wisconsin right now, with 12 other states dying to make themselves right to work states, with their new *********** governors leading the charge! When american workers get a clue, maybe they will wakeup and start fighting back instead of going along with FAUX news and the likes of the crazy one BECK! Until then, get used to whatever corporate America wants to give you, and if you don`t like it, the chinese will!

Last edited by a moderator:

FAVREFAN

In regards to the original questions about layoffs..........the company has to lay off a certain amount of drivers to make up for one very special driver that gets paid over $20 million a year to fail everyday he works...........David Ragan. So when you are at home 2 or 3 days a week, just remember, it's all for a good cause.

Billy Boxtosser

I empathize with how many of you feel but UPS is not your company. UPS is owned by the shareholders and so as PT Stewie suggests, buy UPS stock.
If you own a house, do you think the carpenters, roofers, plumbers, etc. that built your house have any right to it? Sorry, just a reality check seems in order.

How the **** can I buy stock when I'm living check-to-check as a 14 year part-timer?

Last edited by a moderator:

menotyou

bella amicizia
UPS makes over a dollar per pkg on first attempt delivery. Residential or business. Just more pkgs to drop at one time at a business.