How did "Brown Cafe" come to be what it is today?

BoogaBooga

I believe I used to work with Ewave. He screwed over management, union, hurt, and off work employees. If it is indeed the same guy, when I saw the trial of BTK in Witchita, I saw the same eerie personality traits. When he retired, the only fanfare he received was the little dance I did at home-What a relief he is gone!

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Here's a link to what the Browncafe looked like back in November '99. It hasn't changed a bit, Cheryl.

Browncafe - old skool!
That archive.org version is a little goofed up since there appear to be 2 different archived page versions side by side in one window, but it's still fun to see. There was probably a problem archiving the pages because of my poorly written html :blush:

Thanks diadlover.:thumbup1:

tieguy

Banned
I was trying to go through the archives to see where I stepped in. Archives go back to 2002? I don't think I was there in late 1999. Didn't realize I had such a combative history:blush:
I appreciate the support and sympathy:thumbup1:

I love the site. I haven't spent much time on other sites because most are crawling with trolls types and you don't have the sense of community that you have here.

This one has more of a neighborhood feel to it complete with the local chef who is always whipping up something good to eat. :thumbup1:

I think my first experience on the boad was getting in a heated debate with Dammor and Danny where I basically got my but handed to me. Haven't learned my lesson yet:tongue_sm

But over the years at UPS I've met many fine upsers who would take the time to pull me to the side and enlighten me on the other perspectives. Many fine shop stewards who sometimes coached and counseled me like I was one of their own. I see the same traits here in DS, Danny,Over9, upsdude, and many others that have been here over the years. Tooner was my doorgunner when we debated the elections and morality gone awry.

I am intrigued by the new wave of posters here with their perspectives. Mittam and satellite bring fresh perspectives on labor issues that we never had before.

As a troll magnet I have to give Ewave credit. He was the King of them all. While I didn't deal with him much personally I stumbled across some of the other sites where he was well entrenched.

But its a great site where I can think and where I can argue my own beliefs and see whether they stand up to scrutiny. All without any furniture getting broken and hopefully without any hard feelings. :thumbup1:

upsdude

Shoot, Brown Café is part of my “Pre-Trip” (before work) and “Return To Building” (after work) routine.:thumbup1:

For me Brown Café is probably like most any UPS facility. People from a wide range of backgrounds, most just trying to do their job the best they can. I’ve learned a lot from the folks here. It’s also nice to sit back and realize I’m not the only one having a particular problem.

I don’t want to leave anyone out, so I’ll just say this. I wish some of the folks on here worked in my center, both hourly and management.

wkmac

Ewave! What a Hoot! Yeah he was an obnoxious so-n-so but at the same time I have to admit it was funny watching him play the alley cat on the fence to the backyard of dogs. E would stroll in and just sit on that fence and the dogs would howl and howl. There were times when if you could sit back and watch, it was absolutely so funny. Susiedrivr for sure and ******** to a lesser extent remind me so much of Ewave as they just had a way of making the dogs howl!
:lol: Sad that they couldn't see it for the fun it was/is/can be but instead took it personal and then to places it never ever should go via their actions.

There were some absolutely super people over at the original Motley Fool UPS forum and I still think of them often. Whenever I see a big motorhome or motorcoach I always think of DaBusDrivr.

Cheryl, you might also remember that something else that really spurred you on was when we'd start discussing the happenings within the company, even the most meaningless, in our opinions, the Motley police would step in and delete the postings and a lot of folks really got frustrated with that. I remember the big discussion about that and you talking about what it would take to create a website where we could discuss all issues and next thing I knew the Browncafe popped up on the scene. When Motley went to a pay format, I think that was it for a lot of folks even though a lot paid and stayed.

Thanks for taking the bull by the horns and Browncafe is the end result. IMO they should let you come to Glenlake and ring the bell!

:wink:

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Cheryl, you might also remember that something else that really spurred you on was when we'd start discussing the happenings within the company, even the most meaningless, in our opinions, the Motley police would step in and delete the postings and a lot of folks really got frustrated with that. I remember the big discussion about that and you talking about what it would take to create a website where we could discuss all issues and next thing I knew the Browncafe popped up on the scene. When Motley went to a pay format, I think that was it for a lot of folks even though a lot paid and stayed.
Ohhh yeah, I forgot about the delete happy moderators on MF. That was really frustrating, they deleted posts all the time. Whenever I would contact the moderators for an explanation their reasoning often didn't seem to apply to the post that was deleted...

wkmac, I do remember that I sent you many many invitations to come over to the dark side and participate on this forum. You have such a unique perspective on things it really adds a lot to a forum to have someone that thinks outside of the box. I always enjoy your unique ideas and political outlook, even though I don't always agree with you.
:wink:
WOW! I had no idea the name of Slot**op was even outlawed!
Yep, after the unethical things that slot**opl did to dannyboy and canon I want that troll's monikers to completely disappear from this forum. Trolls crave public exposure so this forum is not going to feed the trolls. BTW, susie and slot**op were the same person, there is undeniable proof in the admin side of the site.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
I was trying to go through the archives to see where I stepped in. Archives go back to 2002? I don't think I was there in late 1999. Didn't realize I had such a combative history:blush:
There are actually archives back to 1999 in there but the older directories are mixed into random directories going that far back. The first couple of years I didn't know what to do to archive the forum with a good searchable structure so the earliest years are a little scrambled.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
So lets make a UPS dream team, spurred on by upsdudes post.

Lets have Cheryl as the dm, tieguy the center manager. Satellite, over9five, local 804 will be our stewards. Sammie and channahan will be our sups. Wily will be our arbitrator. He will show up once a month.

DS and I will be the problem children:w00t: Moreluck will be our activities director. Oh I gotta think, there is a place for everyone, give me a minute and some help, thoughts?

browniehound

Cheryl,
Thanks for the site:thumbup1: . Its the first website I look at when I fire up the computer or get home from work (how sick is that?) Its because the topics are what interest me the most and the members here are great also. As for Tieguy, I never worked for him and don't know him personally (maybe I have because I don't know who Tieguy the person is :lol: )but from his posts I gather if every manager was like him the company would be a much better place to work for:thumbup1:

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member

Lets have Cheryl as the dm, tieguy the center manager. Satellite, over9five, local 804 will be our stewards. Sammie and channahan will be our sups. Wily will be our arbitrator. He will show up once a month.

DS and I will be the problem children:w00t: Moreluck will be our activities director. Oh I gotta think, there is a place for everyone, give me a minute and some help, thoughts?

You would have to have Aspenleaf and Westsideworma on Preload. The Plant Engineer would have to be wkmac. Diadlover would do the PCMs, Pip and Browniehound would be Lead Drivers...

I like the Brown Cafe because this is a place where I can go and wind down after a hard day at work with people that deal with the same stuff as I do. Everyone from "Package Handler" to "Corporate Suit" are on an equal playing field and allowed to exchange ideas with each other. I have learned so much from this site. I used to visit a couple of others, but I seldom go back to them now. I appreciate the different views from such a diverse bunch of folks. I often learn about why things happen from management's perspective from people like Tieguy and Channahon. Cheryl has done a fantastic job with her creation, most of you have no idea with what happens behind the scenes. I have no clue why she asked me to try to help her, but I am truly flattered. Thanks to all of you.

Last edited:

tieguy

Banned

Too much responsibility. I'd have to give myself a warning letter. :thumbup1:

over9five

Staff member
Christ, I hate to be a part of this gooey, lovey dovey, Waltons stuff, but...

I am so addicted to BrownCafe. I hit this site every night after work, and many times on the weekend. I have more friends here than in the real world!

I have learned a lot here too. What goes on in different parts of the country, and the world. I learned how to blind-side back a tractor trailer into a really small box (Thanks, Tie).

So, yes, Cheryl, thanks for creating this. It is quite awesome.

And Tooner, you are not a problem child. You are our conscience, our good side, our morals.

Goodnight Johnboy, goodnight MaryEllen, goodnight Jimbob...

browniehound

I am so addicted to BrownCafe. I hit this site every night after work, and many times on the weekend. I have more friends here than in the real world!

I have learned a lot here too. What goes on in different parts of the country, and the world. I learned how to blind-side back a tractor trailer into a really small box (Thanks, Tie).

And Tooner, you are not a problem child. You are our conscience, our good side, our morals.

Over9,
I think you missed your calling, you should have been a comedian. I've found myself LMFAO at some of your replies:thumbup1:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member

Wow, thanx. :) Now I have to copy this b4 it dissappears. Ive never had those 3 word behind my name before.

And Helen of california, will be one of the moms of the group. The one everyone goes to for comfort. Thats what I am and its a great position to hold. Its a woman thing, you have to be one to understand. Ms spoken will organize the family events, as she seems to be the ONLY one who knows how to get tickets to the hospitality tent at Nascar.

we will do things together again, and everyone will know everyone elses family. Not to leave anyone out, I know there is more......
We are building one unbeatable center here.
And Tie, you cant opt out, work as directed.

DS

Fenderbender
hey over9 wanna meet for lunch at wendys monday?
it should be light.its gonna be heavy tuesday,maybe you can help me with some stops...oh oh I should pvt msg these thoughts eh...ties listening:)

tieguy

Banned
hey over9 wanna meet for lunch at wendys monday?
it should be light.its gonna be heavy tuesday,maybe you can help me with some stops...oh oh I should pvt msg these thoughts eh...ties listening:)

I thought that was what lunch was for....to exchange all the misroutes..:laugh:

helenofcalifornia

Yeah, the site is pretty addictive. And Cheryl, I am glad you are making some money with it. If you ever need to make some fast cash, just ask us and I am sure we will all be hitting all those advertisers for you. Non-sequitor (sp??), but my kids are UPS brats. They have heard all their lives about "the guys" at UPS, and wonder how come I have to take so many brownies and cookies to work and not leave them that many. Well, 'cuz there is 50 "guys" there and only four at home. Duh! They pretty much understand the job and it's lifestyle. Now that they are grown, not one of them would work for UPS seeing the physical wreck that their mom is. But I can't impress on them the community that UPS is and how rare it is for a person to work at one job for more than several years. And how I wouldn't trade it for anything. Now if someone said this at work, I would call them a "kiss ass."