How did Christmas eve go?

bigbrownhen

Before I reached my first stop, the Interstate was closed because of freezing rain, so I had to take back roads to the first stop. By noon, it had changed to snow, with winds of 40 mph. Around 2 pm they issued blizzard warnings and most of the residential driveways were no longer visible. Literally, I saw hundreds of cars in the ditch or stuck. On a particular two mile stretch of Interstate I counted 16 cars off in the ditch or median. I punched out at 6 pm, brought back 5 EC's. It then took me three hours to make my commute home. In 31 Christmas' at UPS, I had never seen such road conditions. I felt lucky to make it home.

I wondered how it was for you guys out there. We had one like that in 03 I think it was. Snow came down an inch an hour, center manager sent out message at 3pm to stop deliveries and head in, it took me 4hrs to drive in, usually only an hour drive, scared me to death.

Glad you made it home ok, Hope you had a Merry Christmas.

NHDRVR

Great day... We got to keep our helpers and I went out with a lower than normal stop count. Punched out about 6 or so and there was no traffic... Very smooth

bigbrownhen

I was down about 40 stops, but had a rural rte split that ticked me off. Oh well, got it done anyway, helper and I made better time than I thought we would. In and off the clock by 1630. All in all, it was a good peak. Weather was good for us here, the nasty stuff hit our area late that night. Made it to the in-laws by 6pm to see the family for Christmas Eve dinner.

old levi's

blank space
Didn't start route until 10:45. Normal peak day with the additional concern of doing whatever it takes to make service because of Christmas Eve. (Old School) Was offered help during mid afternoon by a driver and helper who had finished early, but sent them to help another driver with young children at home. Got home at 2000 hours.

ESpren

187 stops, including late air and quite a few not in EDD. 9:30a to 5:40p.

Day before, ~280 stops: 11:00a to 9:40p (I'm the helper).

browniehound

It's an old school thing, I guess. Shows a shared respect, I think. It's Christmas Eve, the finale of Peak. We should all be working till the job's done. AND it makes the management team share the pain of anyone they over-dispatched. Gives them added incentive to get everyone in early (or at leats around the same time).

I agree with Over and I have to give some credit to my "center team". First, they wanted everyone off the clock by 1700 and everyone was allowed to "code 5". All routes were in and everyone was dispatched "in the yellow".

I was done around 230 and called to see if I could come in. I was so excited that I believed I was heading back at 230 that when my sup. told me to take 15 from another driver that it felt like he was handing out a prison term, lol.

That was my initial reaction, but I didn't want to leave this driver hanging on Xmas eve when I was done so early.

The irony of the situation is he only gave me 11 stops because thats just how the section broke off and it would have probably taken him and his helper about 13 minutes to get them delivered. About 4 minutes more than the 9 it took us to transfer the work! LOL.

Its all good though, but back to my center team real quick. We needed to unload all of our pick-ups at the air recovery door when we got back. When I got back at around 1545 the belt was off and packages were just stacked everywhere. I couldn't unload. I had about 100 pick-up pieces. I was to wait for the belt to get started whenever that was to be.

However, a sup. from my "center team" told me to just park the truck and give him the keys and he'd take care of it. Him doing that made my day, I tell ya. So at least my "center team" gets "it". Props to them.

klein

Für Meno :)
Just had to post this, so people get an idea of a white xmas in the city I live in :

[video=youtube;05EkP72cQtI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05EkP72cQtI[/video]

AKCoverMan

Our center also saw reduced volume on the 24th but management kept all the peak routes in and had the dense city routes stiill use helpers as long as they wanted to and code 5 and get done early.

My peak season route was a split car made up of portions of two ajoining rural drivers north of Palmer, AK. While those two drivers start remotly out in the Mat-Su Valley, I start and end at the Anchorage Center about an hour away.

Christmas Eve Day's dispatch showed 62 stops vs. 95-105 the days before, but still have all the miles. I finished my stops at about 1800 then was directed to go help another driver in another part of the Mat-Su about 15 miles away.

On the way I broke both tire chains and had to pull them off. Finally met up with the other driver and we split up the remaining stops. The territory was not "in my wheelhouse" so to speak, it was all mapbook navigation. Of course some of the roads out there exist in the mapbook but nowhere else. So while it was only six more stops, it was slow going.

The last stop I looked for at least 30 minutes, in an area where the "streets" are two tire tracks thru the snow and street signs and house numbers, well, dont make me laugh. Pitch black and now my spot light is running out of juice. I never did find it; I called the driver whose route this territorry usually is covered by and even he wasn't sure where this address was. He has been doing the area for like 17 years! I called the center and said this one wasn't going to make it, and they agreed and had me return to the center. At least I don't think it was a Christmas pacakge, looked like a membership kit for the NRA.

Drove back into Wasilla and back to Anchorage, punched out at 3 minutes shy of 13 hours. But the only send again was the one I could not find. I had a few comments late in the day from customers i.e. "I didn't think we would get this today!" which is kinda cool.

Our center manager and one on-car supe were stil at the center when I got in at 2215.

iruhnman630

I laughed when they asked me in the morning if I wanted to sign the pay-actual sheet, knowing I would be working well past the 8 hours.

Punched out at 6:20, about 15 min too late to attend my church service, the one thing I really wanted to do on Christmas Eve.

Still better than running a 25 mile misload till 8 like last year.

1080Driver

I had a decent day, about 50 stops less than I'd been getting for the last month; I had the helper from 945-on, we were supposed to have an air meet point, but it never happened...(that maybe made up for the 2 meet points we had Xmas eve '08). I was off the clock at 4pm.