How did you guys prepare for a shift change

I'm still up.
Aim for 4.5 hours before, 4.5 hours after if you ain't feeling sleepy by 6PM

I've been doing this the last 2 years with a cat nap at lunch, and am in the best physical and mental condition of my life.

Some people aren't geared for a solid block. I think a lot of sleep studies are full of it, or don't have large enough sample sizes. Besides, whatever works for you works for you, not everyone fits into neat little categories.

So long as you're at least rested and aware enough to safely drive, you'll wake up right quick in the AM once your blood starts flowing.

The more you fight it and think how terrible it is and screw this job/shift/whatever, the worse it will be. Accept sleep in whichever form when available.

UPS says it takes 90 days to fall into a positive life habit. Tbh, it ain't gonna take 90 days. With the 6000 calorie workout you're getting, you'll likely naturally sleep during the day, or at some point anyway.

john chesney

I got hired for a preload position that starts at 3am. Ive been on a normal sleeping schedule for a while now.

How did you guys get enough rest to not be a zombie for that first shift?
For me it was fear that if I didn’t keep my job I would have nowhere to live or eat. It’s a great motivator

barnyard

KTM rider
Sleep experts say that you should maintain whatever your regular schedule is... If you get up right before work, continue doing that, eat breakfast, go to work, eat lunch, eat supper and go to bed earlier.

When I work feeders, I take a Tylenol PM with my before bed meal, take a shower and by the time I am done, can hardly stay awake. I usually get very close to 8 hours of sleep when I work feeders and I feel like I sleep better when I am working feeders than when I am working package.

Also, since you will be going to bed when it is still light out, get black out shades for your room, wear ear plugs and eye covers. If I have to get up to go to the bathroom, I keep my eyes closed. The light can snap you awake and going back to sleep will be difficult.

Poop Head

Judge me.
've been doing this the last 2 years with a cat nap at lunch, and am in the best physical and mental condition of my life.
houseHag.jpg

rickyb

I got hired for a preload position that starts at 3am. Ive been on a normal sleeping schedule for a while now.

How did you guys get enough rest to not be a zombie for that first shift?
you don't.

but get room darkening blinds so u can try and sleep in the day.

starting work at 3am is better than starting at 1130pm. no rush hour when ur off assuming 8 hours

something to think of is why they have u start at 3am. I worked at a railway and the only reason they had guys scheduled to start at 12am im assuming was $$. bc they could've had 2 shifts start at 9pm and 2 at 5am, or something similar and got rid of the 12am.

Last edited: