How did you take your retirement payout?

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Do you know at what age you’re going to take SS… I would like to take it at 62 at the reduced rate since I will have the pension and other money coming in but my financial guy is insisting I wait til 70 so when I croak my wife will get the larger payout…any thought on this??
Took mine at 62. Put most of it in CD's now as I really don't need it to live on.
My spouse gets a bigger SS check than I do.

Red Headed Stranger

I'm leaning on taking it early
Go to social security. Gov
You can get your social security estimates from age 62 through 70
There is a big difference in the number

At 62 I'm around 2300 at 70 it's 4000
Mine was not as high as yours; however, with the COLA increases (if inflation continues), it might not be as different as you think. If you consider 5% inflation, at 62 you'll get 2300 per month, then at 63 you'll get 2415 per month, and if you continue forward at 5% inflation, you'll be at right about 3400 a month by age 70. If you collect at 62, with a 5% COLA, by the time you turn 70, you will have collected $263,520. If you wait until 70, and die at 70 years, 1 month, you'll have collected $4,000. Oh, and don't forget that if you don't need the money, you can always invest it and have additional monies besides what you have collected from SS.

Johney

It also gives your 401k time to grow
IMG_5156.gif

Mine was not as high as yours; however, with the COLA increases (if inflation continues), it might not be as different as you think. If you consider 5% inflation, at 62 you'll get 2300 per month, then at 63 you'll get 2415 per month, and if you continue forward at 5% inflation, you'll be at right about 3400 a month by age 70. If you collect at 62, with a 5% COLA, by the time you turn 70, you will have collected $263,520. If you wait until 70, and die at 70 years, 1 month, you'll have collected $4,000. Oh, and don't forget that if you don't need the money, you can always invest it and have additional monies besides what you have collected from SS.
It goes by your best 35 years of earnings.

I guess that overtime paid off a little bit over the years

Trucker Clock

I'm leaning on taking it early
Go to social security. Gov
You can get your social security estimates from age 62 through 70
There is a big difference in the number

At 62 I'm around 2300 at 70 it's 4000

You will also collect almost $221,000 in those 8 years if you take it early. That’s a good chunk of change to pass up.