How do I file for time off for short term disability?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Concretion, Jan 1, 2016.

  1. Concretion

    Concretion Member

    I will be off work for a minimum of four weeks and need surgery within two weeks. I was just able to make arrangements on Wednesday and will need to be off asap. Any suggestions?
  2. RonBurgandy??????????

    RonBurgandy?????????? God is Great, beer is good , People are crazy.

    Call the union hall asap.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  3. UpstateNYUPSer

    UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

    I assume by the title that the surgery is not work related. You need to either call the local union hall or go to their website, if they have one, to see who handles their short term disability and begin the process post haste. Make sure to request a withdrawal card so that you are not paying dues for the month that you won't be at work and call them back when you are cleared to return to work.

    I am having surgery on the 13th for a non-work related injury. I called Ulico, did a short interview over the phone and received paperwork from them on Wednesday which I am to complete and return with discharge paperwork post surgery. There is a 7 day waiting period for benefits which means that I will only be paid for 3 of the 4 weeks that I am taking off. Thankfully I also have Combined, which should make up the difference.
  4. Indecisi0n

    Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

    Post on ever forum on the Internet and hope your sup sees one before you go out.
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  5. barnyard

    barnyard KTM rider Staff Member

    Get a note from your doctor that excuses you from work. Have the doctor include a predicted return to work date. Make 3 copies. Keep one, give 1 to your boss or HR and another to the union.
  6. UpstateNYUPSer

    UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

    I wish it were that simple.
  7. upschuck

    upschuck Well-Known Member

    Here, you get a one page form to fill out from your union hall. Doctor, center manager, and you have to sign paper, then turn in to the union hall. That is what I had to do many years ago.
  8. BigUnionGuy

    BigUnionGuy Got the T-Shirt

    Once you meet the requirement (usually 7 or 8 days) doesn't your plan, pay you

    back to the first day you were off ? You obviously know your insurance better than me.

  9. UpstateNYUPSer

    UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

    That is my understanding.
  10. BigUnionGuy

    BigUnionGuy Got the T-Shirt

    I would double check that one.
  11. UpstateNYUPSer

    UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

    I will. Thank you.
  12. greengrenades

    greengrenades To be the man, you gotta beat the man.

    I've never done what any of the above had said. I just call tell my boss I'll be out. Call my insurance tell them what the doctor said and they send me a check and I come back when I'm good to go. Why should I be telling the Union hall about it?
  13. Jackburton

    Jackburton Gone Fish'n

    Interesting subject as I might be taking some time off. As I have never filed for short term or workmans comp in my 16 years working here, what would be the pay rate for your time off? Is the rate based on past wages and does it vary by supplement? I'm not in any hurry to get some surgery done so I haven't looked into it extensively as of yet.
  14. By The Book

    By The Book Well-Known Member

    State disability, based on your earnings I believe. Your check may come later but will cover your entire time off. Talk to your local about a withdrawal card and forms for the doctor.
  15. Jackburton

    Jackburton Gone Fish'n

    Interesting, how far back are your wages calculated, this could come into play to maximize pay during off time.
  16. By The Book

    By The Book Well-Known Member

    Your earnings will probably garner you the maximum amount. There is a cap I believe.
  17. PASinterference

    PASinterference Yes, I know I'm working late.

    I don't think it's based on wages, but it varies from state to state. About $250 per week here.
  18. Jackburton

    Jackburton Gone Fish'n

    Looking at Georgia it seems it's 60% of wages up to 1000.00 a week, am I reading that right?
  19. UpstateNYUPSer

    UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

    Withdrawal card?
  20. UpstateNYUPSer

    UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

    In some states it is based on a % of wages.