How do I get part timers more involved in the union?

Brokene46

Hey everyone, so as of recently my local appointed me as a shop steward because there was nobody else that had any significant interest in it.

Something I’ve been running into an issue with is that the members aren’t active nobody shows up to General membership meetings or participates in the safety committee etc…

Does anybody have any advice on how to build relationships with the members and get everyone more active?

For reference I’m a PT inside steward

Nah
Hey everyone, so as of recently my local appointed me as a shop steward because there was nobody else that had any significant interest in it.

Something I’ve been running into an issue with is that the members aren’t active nobody shows up to General membership meetings or participates in the safety committee etc…

Does anybody have any advice on how to build relationships with the members and get everyone more active?

You don't. I was never a steward, but I tried to get people involved myself. The most common excuse I ever ran into was "I don't want to make waves. I just want to do my job and go home/my other job."

I doubt you'll have much more luck, but I do hope you succeed. I'm just not an optimist in this area.

PT Crazy

Make yourself available before and after the shift. Let the part timers ask questions about the union. Start basic. Might help!

542thruNthru

How many people on your shift? How many shop stewards?

PT 4 Life

Most-Hated Member
You don't. I was never a steward, but I tried to get people involved myself. The most common excuse I ever ran into was "I don't want to make waves. I just want to do my job and go home/my other job."

I doubt you'll have much more luck, but I do hope you succeed. I'm just not an optimist in this area.

In the same boat. half the part timers I’m with don’t even know we have a union. It’s pretty much what management wants.

542thruNthru

There’s three of us with one alternate
Start a group txt with the other stewards including the alternate. You can also get some or all of them to stand outside before work and pass out information about what's going on in the local. What articles to be aware of. Space this out and have something to pass out. Lots will ignore you but just keep at it. Be friendly and don't tell someone what you think is the answer. Tell them you'll get back to them and then get them the correct answer. It's also a good way to talk to the new guys as they get hired. Exchanging numbers at the same time so that when they have problems or questions they can reach out to you.

nWo

Attend the meetings then share the important information to your coworkers.

A lot of part timers don't file many grievances because there's not much for them to file on. They show up on time, get their 3.5 and go home. Then others will want to file because someone with less seniority then them was pushing a recycle cart.

2Down2Many2Go

Attend the meetings then share the important information to your coworkers.

A lot of part timers don't file many grievances because there's not much for them to file on. They show up on time, get their 3.5 and go home. Then others will want to file because someone with less seniority then them was pushing a recycle cart.
Most part timers don't file many grievances because they're new to the union and don't even what they can file a grievance about.

Brokene46

In the same boat. half the part timers I’m with don’t even know we have a union. It’s pretty much what management wants.
Yeah it’s frustrating everyone on my twilight shift only cares about weed and video games.

Wishing I was 21 so I can be a driver steward lol

Brokene46

Start a group txt with the other stewards including the alternate. You can also get some or all of them to stand outside before work and pass out information about what's going on in the local. What articles to be aware of. Space this out and have something to pass out. Lots will ignore you but just keep at it. Be friendly and don't tell someone what you think is the answer. Tell them you'll get back to them and then get them the correct answer. It's also a good way to talk to the new guys as they get hired. Exchanging numbers at the same time so that when they have problems or questions they can reach out to you.
Gonna talk to the other stewards on my shift and create the group text 👍🏻

542thruNthru

Also get some teamster shirts/hats
Yeah… there’s that and the response I always get is “ I’m not really a grievance guy “ or “ I’m not trying to rock the boat “
Don't push them. They all come around after a while. Article 17 seems to be the one that gets them filing their first grievance. Mess with someone's money enough and they grow a set.

Brokene46

Don't push them. They all come around after a while. Article 17 seems to be the one that gets them filing their first grievance. Mess with someone's money enough and they grow a set.
I actually like the idea of getting shirts / hats the E board of my local hasn’t really passed out any for awhile now

Brokene46

I see your also in the west is member engagement and activism not very common In your hub as well?

542thruNthru

I actually like the idea of getting shirts / hats the E board of my local hasn’t really passed out any for awhile now
It's a good idea but it cost money. Depending on your local they may not want to just pass them out. Also depends on how many you're talking about.

Start slow. These things do not happen fast. Maybe start with food as guy walk in.