How do I get part timers more involved in the union?

542thruNthru

You never mentioned how many members you have on your twilight shift. You could also buy a bunch of business cards with a QR code for a Teamster Twilight Facebook page or Instagram.

Business cards are cheap and younger members are into that thing.

Brokene46

You never mentioned how many members you have on your twilight shift. You could also buy a bunch of business cards with a QR code for a Teamster Twilight Facebook page or Instagram.

Business cards are cheap and younger members are into that thing.
It’s a larger hub probably around 500 members on the sort I’ll have to look into the Buisness card idea I don’t think they’re that expensive to make

I’d love to do the double sided ones with the Weingarten rights summary on the back

542thruNthru

It’s a larger hub probably around 500 members on the sort I’ll have to look into the Buisness card idea I don’t think they’re that expensive to make

I’d love to do the double sided ones with the Weingarten rights summary on the back
That's a good idea. If you don't mind me asking what local are you. Feel free to PM me anytime. I'm not a steward but I enjoy being a very involved member in my local.

Thanks for becoming a steward and thanks for what you're doing.

Safety committees are a waste of time.

What do you want them to do? File more grievances?
I don't want to come across against unions but every part timer felt like the stewards/union in general was completely useless. Different story for the drivers it might be that drivers pay a lot more into the union dues. Not to mention the union forces you to join which means the union can continue doing nothing being completely useless and rake in all that cash. For the op, if you're going to drink the union kool-aid you'll be the only loader there :butt:

From a Land Brown Under

It would be nice if our hub had an election anytime soon. We have had one steward since January and no elections for twilight since then. I asked about when we would have one from my BA in February and nothing has been done about it since.

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

If the union wanted people to be interested and to participate they would find a way. They’re happy collecting dues and making back room deals with corporate and the government. All three parties get paid and the peasants stay quiet and subservient. Nobody throws a wrench into anything and everyone stays happy. In all my years here I’ve never had a steward fight for me in the office. First and only thing they want to do is settle for a warning letter. My 9.5 grievances go unanswered and unpaid for months and nobody can tell me what’s going on with them. They didn’t do anything when I was kicked off my bid route and made a full time cover driver again. Zero outreach. I’m still bitter about the contract vote a few years ago. What’s the point in participating if they just disregard your vote and ram the contract through anyway? No vote on the master and a no vote on our supplemental and both were passed anyways. Why would anyone be interested?

Brokene46

I don't want to come across against unions but every part timer felt like the stewards/union in general was completely useless. Different story for the drivers it might be that drivers pay a lot more into the union dues. Not to mention the union forces you to join which means the union can continue doing nothing being completely useless and rake in all that cash. For the op, if you're going to drink the union kool-aid you'll be the only loader there :butt:
Yeah I guess having protection from termination and a defined benefit pension plan is completely worthless.

Brokene46

It would be nice if our hub had an election anytime soon. We have had one steward since January and no elections for twilight since then. I asked about when we would have one from my BA in February and nothing has been done about it since.
You can petition the local with other bargaining unit members I’d maybe check your locals bylaws

Brokene46

If the union wanted people to be interested and to participate they would find a way. They’re happy collecting dues and making back room deals with corporate and the government. All three parties get paid and the peasants stay quiet and subservient. Nobody throws a wrench into anything and everyone stays happy. In all my years here I’ve never had a steward fight for me in the office. First and only thing they want to do is settle for a warning letter. My 9.5 grievances go unanswered and unpaid for months and nobody can tell me what’s going on with them. They didn’t do anything when I was kicked off my bid route and made a full time cover driver again. Zero outreach. I’m still bitter about the contract vote a few years ago. What’s the point in participating if they just disregard your vote and ram the contract through anyway? No vote on the master and a no vote on our supplemental and both were passed anyways. Why would anyone be interested?
I see your point at least there’s a new administration that actually takes interest in listening to what the rank and file wants we’ll have to see what happens in 2023.

nWo

TBF the new administration happily lied to new hires and seasonal employees and drained their entire paychecks.

But we will see.

542thruNthru

Go to a general membership meeting and bring it up in front of everyone. Bet you have one pretty quick after that.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I actually like the idea of getting shirts / hats the E board of my local hasn’t really passed out any for awhile now
Who's dues pay for that?

All membership meetings should be streamed but leadership is just discovering that www thing. Maybe in 10 years or so...

PT 4 Life

Most-Hated Member

Sounds like you have a weak local

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
Hey everyone, so as of recently my local appointed me as a shop steward because there was nobody else that had any significant interest in it.

Something I’ve been running into an issue with is that the members aren’t active nobody shows up to General membership meetings or participates in the safety committee etc…

Does anybody have any advice on how to build relationships with the members and get everyone more active?

For reference I’m a PT inside steward
I applaud you jumping in to help out. As a guy around 30 years and steward for most of those, it is very hard to get part timers involved. They aren't as invested for many reasons as full timers. Lower hours, average age, turnover, career development, etc. Having said that, I have seen some involvement when the steward is proactive in helping people. Try to get around the shift and introduce yourself. Make yourself available before and after the shift near the punchout area and parking lot. It will take a little while, but it will work. Set your sights on trying to help wherever you can. Make friends with the full timer stewards for advice and help. We're all in it together.