How do I get part timers more involved in the union?

quad decade guy

What we are fighting:

At my BIG Hub....

(Everyone) walks past an irreg sorting belt entering the building. I noticed a blue shirt guy(PT Sup) working there..Monday.

Tue., Wed., all the way till Fri.

So, I asked the one other person working there if that was a PT Sup. "Yes". She then said: "Why are you asking me?" Very irritated....she was by looks a middle-aged black lady.

Most of the pt sups at my building wear these type shirts. Can be seen working everywhere beside hourlies. 3(pt sup) to 1 hourly.

BTW, the pt sup disappeared after seeing me talking to the hourly.

quad decade guy

If the union wanted people to be interested and to participate they would find a way. They’re happy collecting dues and making back room deals with corporate and the government. All three parties get paid and the peasants stay quiet and subservient. Nobody throws a wrench into anything and everyone stays happy. In all my years here I’ve never had a steward fight for me in the office. First and only thing they want to do is settle for a warning letter. My 9.5 grievances go unanswered and unpaid for months and nobody can tell me what’s going on with them. They didn’t do anything when I was kicked off my bid route and made a full time cover driver again. Zero outreach. I’m still bitter about the contract vote a few years ago. What’s the point in participating if they just disregard your vote and ram the contract through anyway? No vote on the master and a no vote on our supplemental and both were passed anyways. Why would anyone be interested?
Truth spoken here.

Bravo!

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Maybe 2? Way to far from where I reside. Post those suckers online. Really no reason membership couldn't remotely participate during open floor time as well.

How do you vet who is actually "online" watching these meetings?

Teamster Oath.png

We tried it a couple of times during covid and found that to be the biggest challenge....and attendance was even worse.

~Bbbl~™

Last edited:

Whereistheunion

Hey everyone, so as of recently my local appointed me as a shop steward because there was nobody else that had any significant interest in it.

Something I’ve been running into an issue with is that the members aren’t active nobody shows up to General membership meetings or participates in the safety committee etc…

Does anybody have any advice on how to build relationships with the members and get everyone more active?

For reference I’m a PT inside steward
Well, 1st enjoy NO more union Dues. 2. Historically part-timers don't care about union affairs. They need to understand what it means to be represented by the Teamsters. Most, just show up do there time clock out. Start by telling them they qualify for a part time pension, let them know about our contractual raises. We have our last (Raise)coming Aug 1st.

Staydryitsraining

Explain to them that this isn't like any other place they will work at. Explain that there are things happening, they can do or not do that they probably have no idea about. Explain that it's a us vs. Them mentality hourlies vs. Management. Express on continual basis that they more they know the better off they will be long term and on a daily basis. Try to convey that although the job might suck, long term there is nothing better as far as pay, insurance, retirement, job security and vacation goes.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Hey everyone, so as of recently my local appointed me as a shop steward because there was nobody else that had any significant interest in it.

Something I’ve been running into an issue with is that the members aren’t active nobody shows up to General membership meetings or participates in the safety committee etc…

Does anybody have any advice on how to build relationships with the members and get everyone more active?

For reference I’m a PT inside steward

One at a time I'm afraid,

....with the hopes of exponential growth by word of mouth.

Unionism may be the original pyramid scheme?

Brokene46

Well, 1st enjoy NO more union Dues. 2. Historically part-timers don't care about union affairs. They need to understand what it means to be represented by the Teamsters. Most, just show up do there time clock out. Start by telling them they qualify for a part time pension, let them know about our contractual raises. We have our last (Raise)coming Aug 1st.
Hoping things might get better when part timers actually have a contract to be proud of to a lot of us it just seems like another minimum wage job. Definitely going to take the advice given to see if I can create a more active membership

If the union wanted people to be interested and to participate they would find a way. They’re happy collecting dues and making back room deals with corporate and the government. All three parties get paid and the peasants stay quiet and subservient. Nobody throws a wrench into anything and everyone stays happy. In all my years here I’ve never had a steward fight for me in the office. First and only thing they want to do is settle for a warning letter. My 9.5 grievances go unanswered and unpaid for months and nobody can tell me what’s going on with them. They didn’t do anything when I was kicked off my bid route and made a full time cover driver again. Zero outreach. I’m still bitter about the contract vote a few years ago. What’s the point in participating if they just disregard your vote and ram the contract through anyway? No vote on the master and a no vote on our supplemental and both were passed anyways. Why would anyone be interested?

This hit me. Hard. The question is does it even matter? Your union reps are all getting paid and have a pension that is funded with or without your approval. It doesn't matter to them if you get fired or not maybe they do but that would only be because they're not getting your money anymore. Now they have to get it from some other loser.

This post was exactly what I saw and felt in my warehouse. The attitude was what you described perfectly. Then I come on these forums and you got guys who say stewarts are capable people. They can actually do stuff. So many union cheerleaders and I'll never understand why

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

Member engagement is low everywhere. Especially in the part time ranks. It's a up hill battle.
Part timers should have their own contract. That’s a big problem I have with things around here. Part timers make jack :censored2:, most quit and will never be around long enough to take advantage of the pension or benefits. Come contract time the union or company dangles a big pay bump for the part timers at the expense of the full timers and because part timers outnumber full timers 4-1 they can cram any crappy contract they want on us. Why wouldn’t a kid who doesn’t care give a yes vote for 5$ an hour more when he doesn’t care about pension contributions for a full timer or the amount of 22.4 positions you can have.

Last edited:

PT 4 Life

Most-Hated Member
Part timers should have their own contract. That’s a big problem I have with things around here. Part timers make jack :censored2:, most quit and will never be around long enough to take advantage of the pension or benefits. Come contract time the union or company dangles a big pay bump for the part timers at the expense of the full timers and because part timers outnumber full timers 4-1 they can cram any crappy contract they want on us. Why wouldn’t a kid who doesn’t care give a yes vote for 5$ an hour more when he doesn’t care about pension contributions for a full timer or the amount of 22.4 positions you can have.

No we shouldn’t

PT Car Washer

Since when did minimum wage become a big pay bump? Of course 10 years from now Feeder drivers will be saying the same thing about 22.4 delivery drivers who by then will be 1/2 of all delivery drivers. Or more.

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

Since when did minimum wage become a big pay bump? Of course 10 years from now Feeder drivers will be saying the same thing about 22.4 delivery drivers who by then will be 1/2 of all delivery drivers. Or more.
Our inside part time guys are making more money than a first year cover driver to do 70% less work and suck at it. Inside rate hasn’t been minimum wage where I’m at at least since I’ve been here. I don’t think taking a box from a trailer and putting it on a belt for four hours is worth 20$ an hour and full medical benefits.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
Our inside part time guys are making more money than a first year cover driver to do 70% less work and suck at it. Inside rate hasn’t been minimum wage where I’m at at least since I’ve been here. I don’t think taking a box from a trailer and putting it on a belt for four hours is worth 20$ an hour and full medical benefits.

The work sucks…if they are paying $20/hr for it it’s because people voted with their feet and refused to do it for less.

PT Car Washer

The Federal contractor minimum wage is $15/hr. UPS is a Federal contractor.

nWo

When has the company ever gave the part timers a big pay bump? The starting wage stayed the same for 30 years.