How do you guys pick stewards?

Shadow999

Our stewards are nominated. The ones that are nominated become the stewards. It is a very unrewarding job. Our mgt does everything they can not to have our chief steward present. It is because he stands up for the employees. Because of the recession this is a very tough time. There will be lay offs and job changes. This does not mean that mgt. can do as they feel. Changes must still be done by seniority, and the language in the contract must still be followed.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Our stewards are nominated. The ones that are nominated become the stewards. It is a very unrewarding job. Our mgt does everything they can not to have our chief steward present. It is because he stands up for the employees. Because of the recession this is a very tough time. There will be lay offs and job changes. This does not mean that mgt. can do as they feel. Changes must still be done by seniority, and the language in the contract must still be followed.
AMEN!

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Well the building I work in now is not really involved in the union, which IMO starts with the union representation. 80% of the employees do not even know what a steward is. Is it their fault? Yes, and no. Point being - it is hard to get a majority of anything on somethign they know nothing about, which also defeats the purpose of appointing a new steward, now doesn't it?

And the company just loves that -they do all our work and get away with it, change our start times daily without the week notice of start times (recently they have been posting 3 different start time "sheets" with different times on every one!) etc etc because the union is lying in bed with them.

Union involvement as well as understanding among junior employees is at an all time low in the US, not just in your bldg. You can only affect the changes you would like to see with education of fellow members and involvement from a majority. Sounds like your mgmt team, steward and most members are comfy and see it differently than you do unfortunately. I applaud your passion for a fairer workplace, but by itself it will not make any difference. Why don't you start a petition among your co workers to elect a new shop steward and tell them that you want the opportunity and will enforce the contract better than your current steward?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Union involvement as well as understanding among junior employees is at an all time low in the US, not just in your bldg. You can only affect the changes you would like to see with education of fellow members and involvement from a majority. Sounds like your mgmt team, steward and most members are comfy and see it differently than you do unfortunately. I applaud your passion for a fairer workplace, but by itself it will not make any difference. Why don't you start a petition among your co workers to elect a new shop steward and tell them that you want the opportunity and will enforce the contract better than your current steward?

Our building has at least 7 or 8 stewards working on the inside that I know of. A few are very passionate, which can go both ways. A few in the middle (which is fine, they are fair), and a few that are useless.

UPS is much nicer towards employees in the hub, than the smaller centers I have worked. This is ensured because the union allows the company to walk all over the contract consistently with sups working and other types of offenses. In the smaller centers, there are far fewer votes come slate election time, so they are castaways and UPS is God-awful towards employees. And the union and employees grieve everything and are battling quite a bit more frequently.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

In the smaller centers, there are far fewer votes come slate election time, so they are castaways and UPS is God-awful towards employees. And the union and employees grieve everything and are battling quite a bit more frequently.

Sleeve, please avoid generalizations. I work in a small center and, while we do not form a circle and sing Kumbaya, mgt and hourlies get along and work together to get the job done. There are issues but most of them are minor and are settled without using the grievance process.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Sleeve, please avoid generalizations. I work in a small center and, while we do not form a circle and sing Kumbaya, mgt and hourlies get along and work together to get the job done. There are issues but most of them are minor and are settled without using the grievance process.

*The 2 smaller buildings that I have worked in are very different than the extremely large "dealmakers" hub. that is what I said if you re-read my post.

P

pickup

In my bldg we votem no secret ballot, just pickem and if they say yes then orale. We may also vote a feeder driver from our bldg too.

In my building, the same four guys run for steward everytime: Eienny, Meanny, Miney, Moe. So Far, Moe has won every election.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Our building has at least 7 or 8 stewards working on the inside that I know of. A few are very passionate, which can go both ways. A few in the middle (which is fine, they are fair), and a few that are useless.

UPS is much nicer towards employees in the hub, than the smaller centers I have worked. This is ensured because the union allows the company to walk all over the contract consistently with sups working and other types of offenses. In the smaller centers, there are far fewer votes come slate election time, so they are castaways and UPS is God-awful towards employees. And the union and employees grieve everything and are battling quite a bit more frequently.

D

Dis-organized Labor

*********.. i looked up this "Steward , AK" and no such place.. but i did find "Seward AK. just south of Anchorage Ak. i think i can see Russia

This is a perfect example of a Steward in the Airline.

Nice Avatar!!

over here we have all the union employees take IQ tests

we take the 5 lowest scores and put there names in a hat....we have a monkey pull a name out of the hat and bada bing bada boom congratulations you are now a union steward

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Here at Overnite we have all the potential employees take IQ tests.

We then take the 5 lowest scores and put their names in a hat....we have a monkey pull a name out of the hat and bada bing bada boom congratulations you are now an Overnite employee.

Here at Overnite we have all the potential employees take IQ tests.

We then take the 5 lowest scores and put their names in a hat....we have a monkey pull a name out of the hat and bada bing bada boom congratulations you are now an Overnite employee.

whats overnite? are they taking applications i need a new job, i dont like working for ups freight

oh i found this overnite u are talking about, brb applying for a job

overnite_express_frtlnr_century_i894_wi_04-08.jpg

705red

Browncafe Steward
People read your by laws! If your stewards are appointed and you want to change it to make them elected all it takes is you to write the new language and make this proposal at your by law proposal meeting. Which is generally in January here, this change than gets voted on in March at least here.

We elect our Stewards here, its a simple ballot with the names of candidates and how many you can vote for. We used to have appointed stewards and it was changed because someone got the ball rolling. Pack the meeting with your people and vote to change it.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Dave, there was a time that I would have been more inclined to agree with Sleeve on this. That time has gone, for now. I really hope it stays this way. We are slowly becoming more like what you have. It used to be that we had to fight tooth and nail to get decent treatment from mgt. With the sup we have now things have calmed down. It's like night and day.

My Fri schedule is a prime example. My sup had a less senior driver scheduled to start before me. I reminded him fri morning that he couldn't do that and the schedule was changed without any arguments. With previuos mgt it would not have been changed and a greivance would have been filed.