How does FedEx stay in business?

It will be fine

You don't run anything independent of Fedex, never, ever, ever forget that.
I was at the terminal for about an hour and a half today. I didn't even speak to any employee of FedEx beyond a good morning. I came home, made breakfast and am now sitting on my couch doing paperwork and watching Netflix. What part of my day are they controlling?

Bounty

I was at the terminal for about an hour and a half today. I didn't even speak to any employee of FedEx beyond a good morning. I came home, made breakfast and am now sitting on my couch doing paperwork and watching Netflix. What part of my day are they controlling?
Every single aspect. Again, auditing your payroll, telling you the requirements for drivers, and negotiations of your contract that you are not allowed to bring representation. Only the main parts of "your business".

It will be fine

Every single aspect. Again, auditing your payroll, telling you the requirements for drivers, and negotiations of your contract that you are not allowed to bring representation. Only the main parts of "your business".
You're wrong and the courts agree with me. My work comp company audits my payroll, doesn't mean they control it. FedEx has never actually audited my books, and if they want to why would I care beyond the minor inconvenience of getting it to them? When pizza delivery counts as experience in commercial driving, their requirements are in no way difficult to meet. My lawyers are way too expensive to involve in negotiations, besides I get good enough rates on my own.

Bounty

You're wrong and the courts agree with me. My work comp company audits my payroll, doesn't mean they control it. FedEx has never actually audited my books, and if they want to why would I care beyond the minor inconvenience of getting it to them? When pizza delivery counts as experience in commercial driving, their requirements are in no way difficult to meet. My lawyers are way too expensive to involve in negotiations, besides I get good enough rates on my own.
It does not mean because it's "minor inconvenience" or "their requirements". It's not control.

rod

Retired 22 years
I've had nothing but good experiences with FedEx Ground. The driver is friendly and their service has always been timely. The driver may be a little "shaggy" but I don't care as long as my stuff is not damaged and gets here on time. FedEx Ground delivers the most of my orders - followed closely by the post office. Very seldom does the UPS truck come to my house.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Rod you're one of the lucky ones that has a ground driver who gives a damn... call that 800# just so his contactor or that local ground hub knows that they have a good driver in the misfit pool

Turdferguson

Just a turd
I've had nothing but good experiences with FedEx Ground. The driver is friendly and their service has always been timely. The driver may be a little "shaggy" but I don't care as long as my stuff is not damaged and gets here on time. FedEx Ground delivers the most of my orders - followed closely by the post office. Very seldom does the UPS truck come to my house.

Because you are on the "list"

bacha29

Not if but when they ORDER you to turn over the payroll records of your private corporation ask them to identify the specific rule of law that supercedes the laws that guarantees the privacy and confidentiality of you records. They won't because they can't because no such laws exist but that doesn't matter to them. Instead of court decisions the focus needs to be on the language of the operating contract because MR. IWBF could just as easily walked into the terminal this morning and found terminination notices on every one of his trucks. The worst thing any multi route contractor can do for himself is to allow himself to be lulled into a false sense of security and or self importance or to believe even for a moment that the person who is behind the wheel of that truck doing the company and the contractor's dirty work has foremost in his mind the interests of anyone but himself. And given the terms of the operating agreement and the way it is continously amended and reinterpreted over it's term a guy with 40 routes has no more rights, priviledges, or security or importance than the guy with 4 routes because when it comes to their right to due process of law neither has any. X has seen to it that they don't thereby placing the fate of that contractor entirely in the hands of the Fedex Corporation.

It will be fine

Read the Johnson settlement
The only Johnson case I can find has their case dismissed and findings in favor of independent contractor status.
Bacha, they don't need a law to request payroll docs. It's in the agreement I signed with them. I've agreed to provide the docs.

instiches

Yup, X is control of everything in your life, including forcing you to be a contractor on their terms, and completely preventing you from being in any other business or starting your own trucking/delivery company.

What is the reason for all of this salty bitching by you idiots? You want to bring us down to your level by calling us employees? If that makes you feel better about yourself, then go ahead. It doesn't change the fact that my life and financial security are miles ahead of whatever position you are or will ever be in.

bacha29

That's my entire point IWBF. The law quarantees the privacy and confidentiality of your private corporations payroll records.
However to "do business with Fedex Gound "you had to forfeit those rights or it was"hasta lavista baby". It in turn opens the door to their accessing whatever protected information regarding your company they want to see. Because there is nothing there now to stop them.If you were to reciprocate and demand to audit the payroll of X they would no doubt invoke the very same quarantees they forced you to forfeit in exchange for not being financially decimated by not giving you another contract. It is what it is my friend. CORPORATE BLACKMAIL There is simply no denying it. The belief that in you are in a secure setting with a prosperous future is in your mind only.

!Retired!

When I lived in an apartment building in a not so good part of town, a company that was shipping warranty replacement parts to me did so via FedEx. The package was simply dropped off in the middle of the apartment hallway for anyone to walk away with....and it did walk away. The company tried via FedEx twice more, and twice more the package walked away. They finally shipped it UPS and I received it.

Experiences like this have taught me to never trust a shoddy company like FedEx for anything. They could offer totally free shipping no matter what and I'd still refuse to use them at this point.
1. After it 'walked away' the first time, why not have it shipped to your job or a nearby hold location?
2. Where did UPS leave/deliver it?
3. FedEx does not offer free shipping. The company you're purchasing from may not charge you for the shipping. But, they still pay FedEx.

Bounty

That's my entire point IWBF. The law quarantees the privacy and confidentiality of your private corporations payroll records.
However to "do business with Fedex Gound "you had to forfeit those rights or it was"hasta lavista baby". It in turn opens the door to their accessing whatever protected information regarding your company they want to see. Because there is nothing there now to stop them.If you were to reciprocate and demand to audit the payroll of X they would no doubt invoke the very same quarantees they forced you to forfeit in exchange for not being financially decimated by not giving you another contract. It is what it is my friend. CORPORATE BLACKMAIL There is simply no denying it. The belief that in you are in a secure setting with a prosperous future is in your mind only.
You the man bacha

outtatime

Why does every thread get derailed by the same 3-4 people talking about how crappy so and so is, or how Ground workers/owners are the scum of the earth of Fedex sucks in general? Seriously, you guys go back and forth bickering like old ladies when you don't even know each other personally. Especially Mr.FedEx, I get it that you're really bitter toward the company in general but move on and give it a rest already. I'm not saying that a good argument shouldn't happen here, but it's the same argument by the same people.

bacha29

THe people on this site and talking about their experiences both good and bad, large scale contractors, small scale contractors, guys who have been contracted for decades going back to the days of RPS, while others have not been at for very long. Some guys operated in prosperous metro areas while others operated in the nation's most depressed areas and they all have stories they want to impart in the hope that it might help someone else to to identify the opportunities as well as how to avoid the trappings of being an X contractor while operating on a contractural playing field that is anything but level.