How does FedEx stay in business?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Why does every thread get derailed by the same 3-4 people talking about how crappy so and so is, or how Ground workers/owners are the scum of the earth of Fedex sucks in general? Seriously, you guys go back and forth bickering like old ladies when you don't even know each other personally. Especially Mr.FedEx, I get it that you're really bitter toward the company in general but move on and give it a rest already. I'm not saying that a good argument shouldn't happen here, but it's the same argument by the same people.

Do you even work for X? If you don't, you have no idea what you're talking about.

!Retired!

When you work for a day rate and get no OT and benefits you only focus on getting done and going home or to job #2. Unfortunately until drivers are given a living wage for the work they perform you will get drivers that do not care. That's getting what you pay for.
How much a person gets paid should not dictate how the person does their job. If a person can't follow the rules set by the company/contractor, then he/she should be let go.

Why does every thread get derailed by the same 3-4 people talking about how crappy so and so is, or how Ground workers/owners are the scum of the earth of Fedex sucks in general? Seriously, you guys go back and forth bickering like old ladies when you don't even know each other personally. Especially Mr.FedEx, I get it that you're really bitter toward the company in general but move on and give it a rest already. I'm not saying that a good argument shouldn't happen here, but it's the same argument by the same people.
You might as well be talking to a wall. It will never change.

Do you even work for X? If you don't, you have no idea what you're talking about.
Doesn't matter if outtatime works for FedEx or not, he/she is right. His/her comment has to do with the postings, not the job itself. You and a couple of others are incapable of just answering the OP's question/statement and moving on. You derail every thread with the same rambling every time....FedEx sucks, I hate my job, etc etc etc.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
How much a person gets paid should not dictate how the person does their job. If a person can't follow the rules set by the company/contractor, then he/she should be let go.

You might as well be talking to a wall. It will never change.

Doesn't matter if outtatime works for FedEx or not, he/she is right. His/her comment has to do with the postings, not the job itself. You and a couple of others are incapable of just answering the OP's question/statement and moving on. You derail every thread with the same rambling every time....FedEx sucks, I hate my job, etc etc etc.
Dano?

dezguy

You're right. It should not dictate how the person does their job but in all reality, it does. A person working for minimum wage, or close to with no benefits, ect isn't going to care as much as someone who is making more than minimum wage with benefits simply because they really don't have as much to lose.

A person making minimum wage with no benefits, who happens to lose said job just moves on to another job making minimum wage with no benefits whereas the other person may not have the option to make a lateral move.

!Retired!

Dano has his own account.

You're right. It should not dictate how the person does their job but in all reality, it does. A person working for minimum wage, or close to with no benefits, ect isn't going to care as much as someone who is making more than minimum wage with benefits simply because they really don't have as much to lose.

A person making minimum wage with no benefits, who happens to lose said job just moves on to another job making minimum wage with no benefits whereas the other person may not have the option to make a lateral move.
You're assuming that because someone makes 6 figures, they care more about their job than someone making minimum wage. That's pretty naive. I've worked with window washers, janitorial persons, etc that, even though they make minimum wage, took more pride in what they did than most managers I have known. They can easily not care because they can simply 'just move on to another job making minimum wage with no benefits', but they don't.

Simply put....You either take pride in what you do or you don't and how much you make isn't a way to gauge it.

bacha29

Spot on Dezguy. If you're working for a guy for mimimum wage and the only reason he has to give you even that much is because the law requires him to do so , the dedication to that job isn'r going to be there. Minimum wage begets minimum effort.If another guy is doing the same job for 5 times what you're getting no normal thinking person is going to try to match what the other guy is doing. Remember RPS was created by Dan Sullivan on the belief that he could match the performance of UPS with people working for a small fraction of what that UPS and USPS guy was getting paid. Sometimes you can get away with it and sometimes you don'.

!Retired!

Minimum wage begets minimum effort.
Wrong. It's the person's work ethics that dictate how much effort he/she will give, not how much they make.
Remember RPS was created by Dan Sullivan on the belief that he could match the performance of UPS with people working for a small fraction of what that UPS and USPS guy was getting paid.
You forgot to add that he accomplished his job. Do you think FedEx would have bought RPS if it were a losing proposition? The problem with RPS/Ground now is that upper management is trying to 'fix' something that wasn't broken.

bacha29

Remember TJ Smith had to buy RPS with stock. Didn't have the cash. Sullivan knew that there was an avalanche of law suits coming and that the jig was up atleast with regard to his highly captive and controlling business model I described earlier. X isn't trying to fix the model they are simply trying to hold it together. As for the wage issue. Are you trying to tell me that person is going to go out there are kill themselves for minimum wage.? Work ethic or no work ethic a person is only going to give to their employer value that is consistant with the value they are receiving in return especially when the value they are being paid exists only because the law requires it not necessarily what the employer wants to pay.