How does My Computer Stack Up

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
I know this is`nt a UPS issue, but one thing that everybody does have in common that frequents this web site is Computers , I was curious to see what kind of home pc`s other brown Cafe members are using . And maybe to see if anyone would be intrested in getting some kind of computer related thread going, where members could ask questions or post coments on hardware or software related issues . I would imagine that I`m not the only computer geek in here and we all have computer issues every once in a while. Any way it would be intresting to see other peoples opinion about this Idea especialy some Administrators.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Sooo, how does your computer stack up, UK Guy? Post some specs.

I built mine a few years ago:
Abit Nforce2 motherboard (socketA)
Athlon XP 2700
1 gig DDR 3200
Geforce 7800 (AGP)

It's getting near time to upgrade the whole thing, I've taken the motherboard about as far as it can go and I really need to start looking at PCI express for a video solution. AGP is just about dead.

Megansman

I know this is`nt a UPS issue, but one thing that everybody does have in common that frequents this web site is Computers , I was curious to see what kind of home pc`s other brown Cafe members are using . And maybe to see if anyone would be intrested in getting some kind of computer related thread going, where members could ask questions or post coments on hardware or software related issues . I would imagine that I`m not the only computer geek in here and we all have computer issues every once in a while. Any way it would be intresting to see other peoples opinion about this Idea especialy some Administrators.

I don't have hardware or software issues -- I own an Apple.

trickpony1

Jones-
Is it difficult to build your own system?
I have thought about it on several occasions but the immensity of the issue seems to quell any further thought.
It's my understanding that one doesn't just run out and buy a bunch of components. All the components have to be compatable with each other.
I'm sure there are books on this subject. I believe there is a store in my city that sells components for the express purpose and market of people building their own systems.
Any suggestions? I'm just a dumb truck driver.

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
I built Mine Last Year
Evga 6801 sli 775 Mainboard
Intel core Duo 6600 at 2.40ghz
EVGA NVIDiA 8800GTX
3 10000rpm 80gb Rapters in a Raid0 config
4 gb(4X1gb)240 pin ddr2 sdram 800(pc26400)pro
Creative soundblaster (extreme Music) edition
750watt power supply
Sata dvd/rw Drive
I had 2 8800 Gtx in an sli setup , but I had major sound problems it drove me nuts and the graphics were`nt That much better I so I returned one of them.

Pip

Recon my commodore 64 isn't up to date anymore.:lol: Still have that thing. At that time, I thought I had something. Amazing how things have come along since those days.

During the late 80's and early 90's seemed once you bought a new computer the thing would already be outdated within 6 months.

Can remember using RTTY on the ham bands to communuicate with bulletinboards before the internet came out. Now that is for the most part even obsolete.

I know my post isn't what you were looking for with the thread, but figured I'd add my 2 cents of how much computers and communicating have come along .

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
I built Mine Last Year
Evga 6801 sli 775 Mainboard
Intel core Duo 6600 at 2.40ghz
EVGA NVIDiA 8800GTX
3 10000rpm 80gb Rapters in a Raid0 config
4 gb(4X1gb)240 pin ddr2 sdram 800(pc26400)pro
Creative soundblaster (extreme Music) edition
750watt power supply
Sata dvd/rw Drive
I had 2 8800 Gtx in an sli setup , but I had major sound problems it drove me nuts and the graphics were`nt That much better I so I returned one of them.

Impressive, gamer?

W

westsideworma

APPLE ROCKS - Power Book G4. I've had it for 2 years and no problems. I love microsoft but if you gotta spend hundreds to keep aways bugs screw them. LOL. :cool:

yup powerbook G4 here too, used for everything but gaming

PowerPC G4 @ 1.67 GHz
2 GB RAM
120GB HD
ATI Radeon 9700 w/128MB RAM (slooooow lol)
SuperDrive (just a fancy name for a DVD writer)
Mac OS X Tiger (10.4.9)

I have a windows computer that I built also (I used to use it for gaming now and then...less so now that I have an Xbox 360)

Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.13 GHz
2GB RAM
250GB HD
ATI Radeon 1950 GT w/256MB DDR3 RAM
Windows XP Professional SP2
Creative Soundblaster Audigy
DVD Writer and regular DVD drive
23" Apple Studio Display (shared with the powerbook sometimes)

Overpaid Union Thug

Mac freak here. I bought mine brand new in 2004 but ended up using my old Gateway 2000 until a few months ago. I had never went online with my Mac until a few months ago when my PC got sick. I finally got fed up and inpatient with all the security programs required to run a PC and I took one little short cut somewhere and that's where the virus's got me. While I was waiting on my dad to finish repairing the damage I fired up the Mac. I was nervous because I didn't have anti-virus programs or what not but when I went to Apple's website I found out Macs didn't need any of that. So, I had 3 years of software updates to download, which took only minutes, but after it was done I never looked back. Now the PC is colleting dust. I still have OS 10.3.9 (Panther) on the iMac beause right after I fired it up I saw that it would be better to wait for the new operating system (Leopard) to come out later this year rather than buying the current one which is Panther.

I run a DELL and had no problems. Duel boot with windows xp and Ubuntu(Linux). Having just gone over to Ubuntu, I dont think I will ever go back to windows or god forbid Vista. All my programs run and no problems with viruses. Good bye MS forever

JohnnyPension

MacBook here. Have worked on my wifes pc and than her Macs. Everytime you turn on the pc you are getting messages about updating security issues. Almost unheard of in Macs (so far). Have had macks since 1984 and NEVER even own virus protection (again so far).

John

DS

Fenderbender
UK guy you should take the time to visit the "life after brown" thread...theres websites of interest...free downloads...heck start your own thread there...life after brown starts when you get home from work...I have an old P3 with an old style monitor with a Toronto Maple Leafs mouse with a little tiny puck floating around in it... it has a dvd player,and I can open 3 windows at the same time.I want a mac.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Dell.
turns on, usually works,
No idea of anything else.
When it doesnt I get my friend to save all the good stuff and buy a new one.

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
I was told once to " get a life" he didnt know I`m an on line gamer and I have many lives ! I play BF2 most of the time . I just cant get used apple , I realise they make a better pc but I`m a microsoft fan. I also had a commodor 64 , that thing was the bees Knees when it came out . I used to have to use a tape recorder to load programs on it because I coildnt afford the floppy drive and I completed ghost and ghouls on the hard setting useing no cheats .... boy the good old days huh.