How does UPS not run out of new warehouse workers.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
It’s easy when Target,Walmart,and various other places fire them, UPS takes the leftovers.
Ups, a teamster shop, is competing with amazon, Walmart and target for the same pool of employees and each of those companies pays more starting than ups.... lol. I remember in the early 90’s ups only kept 2 or 3 people after peak and most pters stayed at least 2-4 years until their schooling was done and they could get a proper job... nobody stayed only for a few months.... now their turnover is absolutely atrocious....

Coldworld

60 months and counting
They bus them in at my building, really seems to be the lowest of the low. Really desperate people. Kind of sad.
Even some of the drivers they have been hiring look more like 40 year old soccer moms and dads than what I ever remembered when I started driving....

WTFm8

No garauntee here. The less I have to have a helper, the better

That’s the wrong thinking.

Helper = Less wear on your joints = longer career.

If they ‘slow you down’ it’s not your problem as they’re hired/assigned by the company. It’s also common to feel like they’re slowing you down but watch your stop count vs time... feels slow cause you’re not the one delivering everything.

Or you’re doing something wrong not using them efficiently. Did 27x stops the other day and I probably only walked 1/3 of them. Felt great at end of the day compared to the 22x I did by myself day before.

Rest of time I was sorting truck by HIN then street address while they were delivering. Using the 1 or 2k shelf to line up the next 3-5 stops occasionally. If 3-4 deliveries from 1 vehicle stop, scan/give em 2 then you take 3rd. I give them the ine we just passed then tell em the next house will be in the steps when they get back to truck. Works great in neighborhoods.

Still was doing 10-11hr days which is plenty for me. Was nice to get a break from the 12-13.5hr days when helpers don’t show.

Heavy Package

when I worked at UPS I saw 8+ new hires drop within the first month. How do they not run out of people to hire to fill those crucial roles

UPS strategically locates its hubs by densely populated slums. Constant stream of cheap labor. This apartment complex is located down the street from my center.

old-slum-of-rocinha-housing-rio-de-janeiro-brazil-D8GB59.jpg

ManInBrown

what would happen if a center ran out of loaders/unloaders
Same thing that happens everyday. Supervisors working. Can’t even grieve it. We have new building that opened in my district. Have had a lot of trouble staffing. Sups working everyday, all day. Talked to Stewart to see what the story was. They can’t staff the building. Nothing can be done.

PT Car Washer

Same thing that happens everyday. Supervisors working. Can’t even grieve it. We have new building that opened in my district. Have had a lot of trouble staffing. Sups working everyday, all day. Talked to Stewart to see what the story was. They can’t staff the building. Nothing can be done.
Of course something can be done. Pay a competitive wage. Never understood how UPS can hire enough PT sups but never enough Union members.