How does UPS not run out of new warehouse workers.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Look at your supplement? Central PA has a ‘Work as Directed’ article for feeder drivers. The last building manager tried to threaten with gross insubordination when I refused to do something, said working as directed is in the contract. He didn’t believe me when I said it is worded for feeder drivers, not package/inside work.

Heck, feeder drivers aren’t even aware of it and when I tell/show them they’re shocked... but they don’t have to worry about it being imposed because management is/plays dumb when it comes to the contract.

View attachment 228547

You got away with that one, only because you BS'ed the supe.

Unless your immediate safety is involved.... "working as instructed" is a

fundamental concept that has stood the test of arbitration cases in a

multitude of Union work environments.

The difference between "simple" insubordination and "gross" insubordination

is you have to be instructed 3 times and be warned of the consequences.

The purpose of the language for feeder drivers.... is so they aren't just standing

around or in the break room, waiting for their load to wrap.

Tread lightly on this one.

-Bug-

Indecisi0n

Is that in New Jersey?
Look at your supplement? Central PA has a ‘Work as Directed’ article for feeder drivers. The last building manager tried to threaten with gross insubordination when I refused to do something, said working as directed is in the contract. He didn’t believe me when I said it is worded for feeder drivers, not package/inside work.

Heck, feeder drivers aren’t even aware of it and when I tell/show them they’re shocked... but they don’t have to worry about it being imposed because management is/plays dumb when it comes to the contract.

View attachment 228547
It would take me 4 days to load a trailer.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

The purpose of the language for feeder drivers.... is so they aren't just standing

-Bug-

Feeder drivers just standing around

That would never happen

Superteeth2478

Specifically loading/unloader jobs, when I worked at UPS I saw 8+ new hires drop within the first month. How do they not run out of people to hire to fill those crucial roles, especially during the holidays because once you quit I'm told you don't get rehired. It's alot of work for little pay depending where you are.
Never thought of that, but it's an interesting question. Now I'm thinking about that myself. And ONLY 8+ in a month? Maybe you're in a small hub, but I'm in a medium-sized hub and I saw 8+ dropping every WEEK in the 3-4 months leading up to peak season...

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Even some of the drivers they have been hiring look more like 40 year old soccer moms and dads than what I ever remembered when I started driving....
Back then , they wanted mostly 24/25 yr old single or freshly married guys that would hustle, eventually buy a house then have a few kids , felt like they were stuck here because of the big money and then , they had you , ruled by intimidation !

Maplewood

Specifically loading/unloader jobs, when I worked at UPS I saw 8+ new hires drop within the first month. How do they not run out of people to hire to fill those crucial roles, especially during the holidays because once you quit I'm told you don't get rehired. It's alot of work for little pay depending where you are.
UPS hires junkies, immigrants, homeless.... We get what they pay for. They now accept and expect many misloads. They rarely discipline part-timers for tardiness and callouts. Even the part time supes are way down on the intelligence scale these days.

JJDark

Maybe if the Union would not charge a $500 fee to work a PT minimum wage job with no benefits, the new recruits would hang around long enough to collect benefits. No. The company will run them off before then.
They intentionally cycle through part time workers so they don't have to pay benefits. Your car was loaded poorly? Manager doesn't care past the point that they were on the sort...

watdaflock?

Because Catholics don't believe in contraception.

take your time

Maybe if the Union would not charge a $500 fee to work a PT minimum wage job with no benefits, the new recruits would hang around long enough to collect benefits. No. The company will run them off before then.

but then how will the retired teamster boomers make a living after retirement?

They need suckers to support their lifestyle after retirement.

take your time

I’ve been seeing more and more women working, and staying, here. Even in the trenches.

>more women

Agreed. This peak, 95% of the helpers were women, specifically black women.

They even hired a 6 month pregnant woman, and H.R forced her onto a driver who has one of the toughest routes in our hub. The driver didn't take her, he drove off the hub leaving her behind. She was crying, etc.

I guess this is the result of "muh feminism"....UPS has a grime future ahead of it.

WTFm8

-Bug-

I don’t have a problem staying for local sort after the day.

I have a problem with them ‘forcing’ to come in with threats of termination on days not driving, paying PT inside rates, and thinking they’re going to get low seniority drivers to stay around.

Management/supervisors quoting ‘work as directed’ applies to when you’re already there working, not for them to tell you to come in for a lower wage classification position and pay you under that lower rate.

H.E. Pennypacker

Mmm, Mombasa!

dudebro

>more women

Agreed. This peak, 95% of the helpers were women, specifically black women.

They even hired a 6 month pregnant woman, and H.R forced her onto a driver who has one of the toughest routes in our hub. The driver didn't take her, he drove off the hub leaving her behind. She was crying, etc.

I guess this is the result of "muh feminism"....UPS has a grime future ahead of it.

This is old news.

We had a presentation 20 years ago called Workforce 2000 that specifically told us our labor pool would increasingly be single moms, gang members, parolees, etc. and not the college kids we'd hired up to that point.

And when does "HR" make any operational decisions? The helper coordinator in the center did that, and wasn't smart for doing so. The driver might not have taken that helper, but presumably still needed one...now there's a problem to be solved 20 miles from the center instead of in it....smh.

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
The better question is, why do they make preloaders with face tatoos into part-time sups? And then get fired for stealing iPhones. Who could’ve seen that coming?

542thruNthru

The better question is, why do they make preloaders with face tatoos into part-time sups? And then get fired for stealing iPhones. Who could’ve seen that coming?

Haven't you heard from all the beard and tattoo guys that the next CEOs will have beards and sleeve tattoos! Geez it's the new world old man... :)