How each delivery company trucks are loaded

F

FedexNL

I don't know how it works in the US, but for Europe the vans do or lets say should get loaded at Fedex before the drivers come in.

I'm a courier at the Amsterdam station/ ramp and here we have a sort team starting at 7 am, who after the sort drive their own route. During the sort one person pre-loads up to 6 routes.

U

Upppsss

Hi all,

here in Germany (Bavaria) we load our own trucks. I´m pretty new driver for UPS, i worked before for DHL-Express and Hermes (HLG) and everywhere we loaded ourself, but only in UPS we dont have to scann all the packets before the tour. DHL and Hermes have a much better scanner system, you cann see all your packages in the scanner with service class, you can sort them by service class. At the beginning with UPS i had some problems remembering all the stops and services for the tour (80 stops ca. 150 packets).

david cassin

dublinbrown
i work in ireland and we have preloaders in at 3am loading the roadfreight/standard from europe and then our air cans come in at 5.30 am all loaded for our drivers and all pkgs are scanned as they come out of the cans and the same for the roadfreight.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
From what I seen FDX express may not be "bricked out" but FDX ground is.
Actually, I'm surprised that FDX air and ground has enough packages for them to support separate companys. I was sure either air was going to take deliveries from ground or ground from air, but I guess because they are smaller than we are they can support this type of operation.

doris

All I know is the UPS has horrible logistics for delivery...they don't hire enough drivers...ergo who wants to stay up to 8-9pm at night to await a package...horrible service.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
All I know is the UPS has horrible logistics for delivery...they don't hire enough drivers...ergo who wants to stay up to 8-9pm at night to await a package...horrible service.
Poor, poor thing having to stay up til 8-9 pm. Why not go to bed? How do you think your driver feels having to DELIVER at that time and not seeing his children?

upschuck

You know, you are absolutely right, we'll get right on that. Thank you for your helpful suggestion.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
You really just joined to say that on a decade old thread? Bravo.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Hasn't been a decade. Stop lying.

I dunno about that... the OP is in 2007... that's 11 years ago?

& Doris, u a troll? Or you don't understand some routes needs a certain amount of stops to break even in operation costs...
I'm a rural route driver that has up to 180 miles per day.

Of course, i don't want to be out that late, but it's a means to an end to pay for property taxes & such

Here's how my current package delivery van is loaded, BTW...

sketch-1519579164841.png

sketch-1519578875546.png

sketch-1519578983764.png

sketch-1519578671080.png

sketch-1519578739333.png

Last edited:

Zowert

What is so great about the UPS pas system is that as a driver I don't have to sort my truck anymore, our DIAD tells us what stop is next and how many packages we have for that stop and where it is located in the truck, no going back to stops, they're all delivered the first time.

I often have to make two trips to a stop if they have air and ground. I’m always slammed with well over 300 pieces and simply don’t have the time to dig out the ground during my air stops. After fighting traffic to my delivery area I only have around 50 minutes to make 12-16 NDA stops. Every second counts sometimes. Occasionally I’ll get a customer walk up to me at 10am and ask me for their package. That’s when I have to choose between late air or an unhappy customer.

I hate the mornings.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
F5A78B85-2265-4B4D-B992-843C43D3A5EF.gif
I have been hearing that UPS has seperate employees who load the trucks then those who make the deliveries. I dont know how DHL does it but I know Fed Ex the drivers load their own trucks. Both Ground and Express. One Fed Ex Ground driver I heard about is Tim. He folds the shelves up in the back of the truck. And it looks as that he stands outside the back of his truck and tosses everything in while he loads his truck. Which to me its easier to sort everything out and place it on the shelves. Since these drivers cannot clock out until they are done making all of their Deliveries. Some UPS drivers are glad they dont load their own trucks and some wish they did load their own trucks. From what I hear most UPS loaders usually do not sort everything before loading it into the trucks. So sometimes the drivers have to make 2 trips to one stop. Fed Ex drivers usually load their own. Most of them sort the packages for each stop they make then place them in the truck so they only have to make 1 stop per location. Unless a package slides down the shelf and the driver over looks it. Which is known to happen.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
I often have to make two trips to a stop if they have air and ground.
I don't want to be in your shoes... good thing purple ops are separate air and ground.

I'm HD, which is the easiest of our 3 opco... mostly resis and resis rts pickups/ call tags. No time commits as long as it's attempted the same day it was preload ed