How Flexible Is UPS With Hours?

Hexahedron

Depends on your facility. I see the responses on here saying you won't/can't leave early, but my place has been really flexible. During peak, they let people leave when they had other jobs or school even though they were peak hires.

clean hairy

The only exception to that if I recall is an employee who was a volunteer firefighter.
Not sure if it was phone or pager, but when it went off he was gone!

*Jersey*

It's not peak anymore and they usually send people home left and right but that's on their discretion not yours, can't imagine them valuing your service if you're liable to leave when you want

*Jersey*

I'm sure you've made up your mind already but I'll say don't do it anyway. Even if you're PT they want you there, even if they gotta send you home. All that other stuff is undesirable to the company.
You probably don't need another job then anyway, most industries will not tolerate that flightiness

Box Ox

P.S. Do the package handlers usually get the full 20 hours per week?

I got about 25/week in preload. No routinely leaving early at my center. If it's an emergency or one time thing, sure. But in general you don't punch until everything is loaded up. Sort doesn't keep extra bodies around just in case somebody has to leave.

CleverNameHere

PT? Don't excessively call off, work hard, dont be a d-bag, and flexibility can be expected.

FT article 22: same

FT package: bid a fond farewell to your family, hobbies, social life, sanity, energy, etc. Except for your vacation weeks which will fly by as you attempt to drink yourself numb to the thought of returning.

Rack em

Made the Podium
no no no.... he got his 1.99 hours out of the 6.99 I needed him for.
I don't let my helpers make their own schedule because I already have enough to deal with during peak! I would also rather not ever use a helper but they force us too :(

This year my helper was supposed to meet me at 11:30 at our meet point. He wasn't there or didn't call so I waited 5 minutes while I sorted my truck, then had to call him. He said he was at the mall and had to finish shopping with his brother and would meet up with me around 12:30. I told him he wasn't working today and to be ready to work ON TIME tomorrow. He was never late again the remainder of peak.

N

Nothing by 1030 anymore

I'm thinking about applying for a 4:30am-9:30am shift as a package handler. I now work for a local trade union and plan to continue. My question is just how the shifts work. Are you required to work until you're released? Can you just work 3.5 hours per day occasionally?

If I have a call from my union at 9am would it cause a problem if I left after 3.5 hours? Would it ever be possible to leave at 7:30am sometimes and only work 3 hours? For every 8am call I turn down I lose $210 minimum.

Secondly I have a job in May of every year that calls for 5 days of 7am-11pm work. How big of a problem would it be for me to take those days off each year? It's a $2700 paycheck and I can't miss it.

I appreciate any advice you guys can give me.
Lmao.. Let me give it to you straight...ups doesn't care about ur needs. Ever