How long have you been retired and how long did it take you "slow down"?

rod

Retired 22 years
I know what you mean. Have you found you have a harder time sleeping since you don't come home from work exhausted? Sometimes if I have a "lazy" day I won't be tired at bedtime (not that there really is a bedtime anymore).

I tend to just sleep when I'm tired. I've been know to wake up at 2:00 a.m. and because I'm wide awake I will either jump on the computer or head out to the workshop to tease the cat or work on something. My wife is retired also but she normally stays awake all night reading stupid books and then sleeps half the day.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I tend to just sleep when I'm tired. I've been know to wake up at 2:00 a.m. and because I'm wide awake I will either jump on the computer or head out to the workshop to tease the cat or work on something. My wife is retired also but she normally stays awake all night reading stupid books and then sleeps half the day.
I take it this is why you are on now. LMAO

rod

Retired 22 years
I take it this is why you are on now. LMAO

I'm on now because we had an early supper (3:00) and afterwards I went for a walk down to the river. I then proceded make the mistake of sitting in the lazyboy to watch a little NAPCAR racing and fell asleep. Woke up about
8:00 and now I'm wide awake. Look out cat---I'm coming to bug the hell out of you. To the rest of you---"good night Mrs. Calabash-where ever you are".

P

pickup

I'm on now because we had an early supper (3:00) and afterwards I went for a walk down to the river. I then proceded make the mistake of sitting in the lazyboy to watch a little NAPCAR racing and fell asleep. Woke up about
8:00 and now I'm wide awake. Look out cat---I'm coming to bug the hell out of you. To the rest of you---"good night Mrs. Calabash-where ever you are".

I had to google that line "goodnight Mrs. Calabash-wherever you are" to see it was a closing line that Jimmy Durante. Geez Rod, you ain't that old are ya?

moreluck

golden ticket member
I had to google that line "goodnight Mrs. Calabash-wherever you are" to see it was a closing line that Jimmy Durante. Geez Rod, you ain't that old are ya?
Did you also know that Jimmy stepped into circles of light on the floor of the darkened stage as he walked away saying Good Night?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

I can empathize with that. I bbq'd last night, fell asleep watching tv, woke up about 2am this morning. Watched a movie and the got up about 4:30 and started my pot of chili, washed dishes and am playing on the puter now. Gonna make some brownies in a bit.

You keep the cat out in the shop? Poor cat.
:kickedoutsmile:

rod

Retired 22 years

I watched Jimmy Durante on TV as a child because our 19 inch black and white TV only received 2 channels and that is what my parents watched. Early TV to me was Ed Sullivan and saturday morning cartoons. I also remember how he stepped from spotlight to spotlight to end his show.

Good Night Jimmy Durante 1955 - YouTube

P

pickup

Did you also know that Jimmy stepped into circles of light on the floor of the darkened stage as he walked away saying Good Night?

Obviously, No. The only time i became aware of Jimmy Durante was as a kid watching the cartoon, "Frosty the Snowman". He was the narrator.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I watched Jimmy Durante on TV as a child because our 19 inch black and white TV only received 2 channels and that is what my parents watched. Early TV to me was Ed Sullivan and saturday morning cartoons. I also remember how he stepped from spotlight to spotlight to end his show.

Good Night Jimmy Durante 1955 - YouTube
I miss Sat. morning cartoons. The old ones: Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd, Roadrunner and Wyle E Coyote, and the likes. I can't stand the crap that is on now.

downtime8763

Retired last March and I feel that I've went from fifth gear to forth.If you were to ask my wife of almost thirty five years I've just stepped on the clutch a couple of times.:)Miss the people not the pace!!!

P

pickup

I had to google that line "goodnight Mrs. Calabash-wherever you are" to see it was a closing line that Jimmy Durante.

Taken from Wikipedia:
One theory was that it referred to the owner of a restaurant in Calabash, North Carolina, where Durante and his troupe had stopped to eat. He was so taken by the food, the service, and the chitchat he told the owner that he would make her famous. Since he did not know her name, he referred to her as "Mrs. Calabash".[SUP][5]
[/SUP]
Another idea was that it was a personal salute to his deceased first wife, Jeanne (Olsen) Durante, who died in 1943. "Calabash" might be a mangle of Calabasas, the California city where they made their home during the last years of her life.

At a National Press Club meeting in 1966 (broadcast on NBC's Monitor program), Durante finally revealed that it was indeed a tribute to his wife. While driving across the country, they stopped in a small town called Calabash, which name she had loved. "Mrs. Calabash" became his pet name for her, and he signed off his radio program with "Good night, Mrs. Calabash." He added "wherever you are" after the first year.[SUP][6][/SUP]

leastbest

LeastBest
I've been retired for six months. Part time until I was 21 then full time package car until last year when I turned 55. 37 years total. Only recently have I become normal.