Delaying retirement? If so how long?

• Yes

• No

• 1-2 years

• 3-4 years

Results are only viewable after voting.

ManInBrown

Get out as soon as you can. Life is way too short
The day I am eligible for full pension I’m gone. Poof, not a word said to anyone. Top 45 here can walk out yesterday. They all stay. Hate their wife or have a dream to be dead a week after they walk away. Makes no sense.

Over70irregs

The day I am eligible for full pension I’m gone. Poof, not a word said to anyone. Top 45 here can walk out yesterday. They all stay. Hate their wife or have a dream to be dead a week after they walk away. Makes no sense.
They are not dumb. Decreasing $ value is adding minutes to the treadmill.

Considering there is no COLA for our pension, it's a gamble when to go. Men in my family don't die before 90, on either side. If I were to retire at 55 and live another 35 years without a raise, how would that look? If I work until 60 instead and add another $20k/yr to my pension, is that really a bad move?

badpal

I been eligible for full retirement for 10 years. But dangit i just love being part of the rat race and the pride of still taking that really unneeded paycheck to the bank. In my disturbed mind retirement kinda equates on giving up on life and with 7 weeks paid vacation, thats plenty of time off.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
I been eligible for full retirement for 10 years. But dangit i just love being part of the rat race and the pride of still taking that really unneeded paycheck to the bank. In my disturbed mind retirement kinda equates on giving up on life and with 7 weeks paid vacation, thats plenty of time off.
That so many people seem like they put living their off as something for retirement just boggles my mind.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Considering there is no COLA for our pension, it's a gamble when to go. Men in my family don't die before 90, on either side. If I were to retire at 55 and live another 35 years without a raise, how would that look? If I work until 60 instead and add another $20k/yr to my pension, is that really a bad move?
Almost two years after I left I was offered the chance to take my entire vested pension in a lump some. I took it because I knew in the nearly forty years before I'd be eligible for payout on it it would be worth piss. That's even if the company or the money was still around.

Over70irregs

How physically productive when older can you be? Every year passed up is free $. Ex 50k/yr, you stay in for 4 more years. That is passive 200k passed up?

Maybe the solution is to be as healthy as possible no matter the situation. Your clocking days no matter what.
It's hard to find the right balance between time and money.

Nobody knows how long you're going to live but the same time it would really suck to work all these years and be struggling later on in life because you cut out too early.

You also got to take your social security into account. It goes by the 35 best years of earnings. If you cut out too early that's going to hurt you later on in life.

But yes it gets to the point we just going to say eff it and go on with your life
Unfortunately I know too many people have passed away before their time on the other hand I seen some people that are really struggling later on in life because they just don't have the money

Up In Smoke

We just got home from two weeks in DR and I have 10 working days left before I retire and collect my first pension check on April 1st. My decision was made easier by having a wife that has out earned me for the majority of our marriage. I will be taking a minor role in the running of our business and working for my wife for as long as we can stand each other.

Over70irregs

It's hard to find the right balance between time and money.

Nobody knows how long you're going to live but the same time it would really suck to work all these years and be struggling later on in life because you cut out too early.

You also got to take your social security into account. It goes by the 35 best years of earnings. If you cut out too early that's going to hurt you later on in life.

But yes it gets to the point we just going to say eff it and go on with your life
Unfortunately I know too many people have passed away before their time on the other hand I seen some people that are really struggling later on in life because they just don't have the money
You are spot on. We have come to a place where we have so much info it overwhelms. We will be at 40 Trillion debt in 2 years. Our parents did not have this. Find something good daily on route or retired. Be blessed all

We just got home from two weeks in DR and I have 10 working days left before I retire and collect my first pension check on April 1st. My decision was made easier by having a wife that has out earned me for the majority of our marriage. I will be taking a minor role in the running of our business and working for my wife for as long as we can stand each other.
That makes a huge difference