How many "dead days"

Cincypackagehandler

Maybe it’s time to man up or find a different job ?

I’d love to find a different job but I’d assuredly take a massive pay cut anywhere else. Not willing to do that. Once I leave the building and am on route, I don’t mind the work but I have no problem going home and enjoying the day off either. Being single, with no kids and inheriting a house allows me to do this.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Short answer is maybe 5 a year. I only do it when they cut my route, I don't like the ones available, and there are enough people to cover the routes. I don't mind doing it from time to time because it helps the newer drivers keep their hours up. Every once in a blue moon I'll get laid off still, but I'll use option days, or might be "feeling too sick to work" those days anyway, to minimize unpaid days.

badpal

Zero. And I get my unused days paid back every year.
Same here tried to take an option day 20 or 25 years ago , got turned down, Not put in for one since. Never in over 40 years had one dem so called dead days. Out here those kinds perks usually just reserved for the young stewards.

WTFm8

Can you bump into inside work?

Yes but don’t, I refuse to work inside if ‘laid off’. Plenty of projects to do around the house or on vehicles at home on those days... and not going do drive 30 miles round trip for 4hrs of work, that comes out to $8/hr pocketed after taxes and fuel for 4hrs of ‘back breaking’ work.

I’m over 900hrs for the year even with being off 17 days, I get plenty of hours/pay, especially now going from $19.50 to $23/hr.

They have enough issues keeping PT inside, last thing I’m going to do is bump one so they can’t have an income.

Dispatch doesn’t ‘allow’ voluntary layoffs even with additional qualified drivers that are ‘laid off’ for the day. About to grieve that also. They try to burn option/vacation days if you suggest the day off.

They let me be off once a couple weeks ago as ‘layoff’ because it would have been an industrial route I never did and I knew driver below me qualified on it.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Yes but don’t, I refuse to work inside if ‘laid off’. Plenty of projects to do around the house or on vehicles at home on those days.

I’m over 900hrs for the year even with being off 17 days, I get plenty of hours/pay, especially now going from $19.50 to $23/hr.

They have enough issues keeping PT inside, last thing I’m going to do is bump one so they can’t have an income.

Dispatch doesn’t ‘allow’ voluntary layoffs even with additional qualified drivers that are ‘laid off’ for the day. About to grieve that also. They try to burn option/vacation days if you suggest the day off.

They let me be off once a couple weeks ago as ‘layoff’ because it would have been an industrial route I never did and I knew driver below me qualified on it.

I never liked the idea of bumping part timers for the same reasons. Only ever done inside work since going driving when they were short handed. Do you know if your supplement has language about available time off? Someone posted some language from, I think, the southern region regarding available time off being given in seniority order. Let me know how that grievance turns out.

spaghetti boy

I’d love to find a different job but I’d assuredly take a massive pay cut anywhere else. Not willing to do that. Once I leave the building and am on route, I don’t mind the work but I have no problem going home and enjoying the day off either. Being single, with no kids and inheriting a house allows me to do this.
I get you . I retract my previous statement !