How many of ya'll are just here for the benefits?

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I only stayed at UPS for the money.
I was an alcoholic and UPS paid me so well , I could afford the good stuff.
Go to work (pm) get drunk, sleep and repeat the next day.

Drink Craft Beer

Preload has been my only job for the last 17yrs or so. The pay is nice, but if there were no benefits, I'd definitely have to work a 2nd job. Free medication every month cannot be beat after looking at the EOB's and what it would cost out of pocket. A 30 day inhaler costs 300 bucks a month. A guy at work who takes A1C injections once a week, says a 3mo. supply is $2,100. I had back surgery in 2007 and didn't pay a dime.

Of course it helps having a spouse who works FT. By her being on my benefits, she doesn't have to pay for them at her employment. I have no problems with doing laundry and the grocery shopping.

qdg2

So they would do that work with benefits but no paycheck at the end of the week? Lol. They need that cash like everyone else. It’s almost patronizing when someone says that.
I never knew anyone that worked two jobs....that didn't need the money. To be clear: Benefits are the same as money.

In effect an RN moonlighting for money....a $100K RN. Same as a feeder driver hot shoting on the weekends....

Red Headed Stranger

Except you are working two jobs.....

No matter how you view it....this is the case.

Both require prep, travel etc. That in effect make you at least working many more hours.

Sort of like "retired" UPS'ers......that still work. Not retired at all......seems to me.

Let's not get into say feeder drivers that have say a tax prep business on the side or mow grass whatever......hours of service and all(realizing nurses don't have hours of service concerns).

To be clear: I respect those that work hard. I do too. But then, making $100k.....and having a part-time job? Opens eyes and make you wonder....
Until you've been self-employed and had to pay out of pocket for your healthcare, you wouldn't understand. I was self-employed for the last 15 years. Healthcare started off at about $450/per month. Last year, our cost for crappy healthcare coverage was $2,000 per month. Oh, and let's not forget the $6,900 deductible before they would even pay anything. The way I figure it, my little measly part-time job at UPS effectively pays me $4,500 per month (what I was paying for healthcare premiums/paying out of pocket for doctor, prescriptions, medical procedures/current $$ wages/pension contribution by UPS). This preload job effectively pays me $51.13/hour ($4,500/88 hours per month). Not too bad for a little part-time side job.

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
Preload has been my only job for the last 17yrs or so. The pay is nice, but if there were no benefits, I'd definitely have to work a 2nd job. Free medication every month cannot be beat after looking at the EOB's and what it would cost out of pocket. A 30 day inhaler costs 300 bucks a month. A guy at work who takes A1C injections once a week, says a 3mo. supply is $2,100. I had back surgery in 2007 and didn't pay a dime.

Of course it helps having a spouse who works FT. By her being on my benefits, she doesn't have to pay for them at her employment. I have no problems with doing laundry and the grocery shopping.
Not all of us are Chads

Box Ox

Until you've been self-employed and had to pay out of pocket for your healthcare, you wouldn't understand. I was self-employed for the last 15 years. Healthcare started off at about $450/per month. Last year, our cost for crappy healthcare coverage was $2,000 per month. Oh, and let's not forget the $6,900 deductible before they would even pay anything. The way I figure it, my little measly part-time job at UPS effectively pays me $4,500 per month (what I was paying for healthcare premiums/paying out of pocket for doctor, prescriptions, medical procedures/current $$ wages/pension contribution by UPS). This preload job effectively pays me $51.13/hour ($4,500/88 hours per month). Not too bad for a little part-time side job.

Hope you’re around in 10 minutes when someone will suggest that part timers would be better off working at McDonald’s for the higher hourly wage.

Commercial Inside Release

Was self employed and paying for health insurance out of my own pocket... $35 to $65/mo for coverage similar to Teamcare. This was about five years before and after Hillary Clinton became the healthcare czar. Once the medical insurance industry bought her off, they set up the massive special interest network that brings you the exorbitant costs we all enjoy now.