How many on area observations in one week is harrasment?

Omega man

If you had bothered to read the thread you would have read that I use CLO HOL for a business that is CLOSED FOR THE WHOLE DAY. I have identified these stops for the dispatch sup and he is usually really good about tagging them so that they will not get on the car nor be in EDD but, if they do, we are instructed to sheet them as CLO H.

Using CLO HOL as you described is dishonesty and should result in termination.

I did read your post. Using Closed Holiday as you are doing, even if it is directed by your management, would still get a driver fired in my district. The problem is that Holiday is being used when none exists. Just because one business happens to be closed on a particular day doesn't constitute a Holiday. You certainly work for a very different company than me.

UPSSOCKS

I'm told almost daily how bad of an employee I am and how what I do everyday isn't good enough in the eyes of the company. I "brag" about being a bad employee because I think it's completely ridiculous and absurd. I know what I've done for this company year in & year out. I'm too long in the tooth for your management style, you clearly drank the brown koolaid. You come off as someone who fears nobody except the voices on the other end of your morning conference call. If you think grievances are a nuisance and don't hold any water when it comes to conflict resolution I suggest you call up my center manager from about 5 years back who got canned for falsifying my timecard.

If he got caught falsifying your time card then he should of got fired. Greivances are just there so the union workforce can feel good about something. The company pushes the limits and knows grievances will come but no one really cares. When I was in HUB-OPS I continually would disregard seniority. I would cut out of seniority order, call the good employees at home and give them days off out of seniority order, I pretty much showed everyone that seniority was meaningless. Guess how many grievances got filed..... Hundreds over the years!!
I still kept doing it and promised at every sit down that I would follow seniority. The union steward stopped accepting the grievances over time and gave up.

UPSSOCKS

Discipline, Discipline, Discipline, it's the easiest way to solve all your problems at work. I can look at any employee and find enough things wrong with the way the work to terminate them...

Omega man

Discipline, Discipline, Discipline, it's the easiest way to solve all your problems at work. I can look at any employee and find enough things wrong with the way the work to terminate them...

I'm sure the employees could dig up an equal amount of dirt on you. Lets face it; your fate will always be in the hands of the hourly worker. If you treat us badly, we punish you. If you act properly, we will reward you. To us, it's no different than training a dog.

bigblu 2 you

you need to take a trip to the locker room and look in the mirror,then ask the guy looking at you if he would want to be done that way.

BROWN007

I too was using cloH for bus that was closed all day until I got a warning letter. BTY my sup told me to do that, funny how things change day to day!!!! cyoa!!!!

UPSSOCKS

I'm sure the employees could dig up an equal amount of dirt on you. Lets face it; your fate will always be in the hands of the hourly worker. If you treat us badly, we punish you. If you act properly, we will reward you. To us, it's no different than training a dog.

That's where your wrong. You can't punish anyone. If anyone is like a dog it's you because if I tell you to sit you have to. If I tell you to be at work on time, you have to. If I tell you to leave, you have to. If I tell you to work faster you have to. You have to do everything I tell you to. When you don't listen I have to discipline you. I am your master. Get it right....

UpsguyDGAF

EAT MY OVERALLOWED.. You nail it right on the head as far as im concerned. Everything in your posts relates with many drivers, there are some cowards among us who stick up for nothing and have no balls for anything in life and just scape by.YOU GUYS ARE SLAVES TO THE COMPANY AND PATHETIC, go apply to MGT and get off this site..

tieguy

Banned

the sad thing is there are actually employees that believe that.

tieguy

Banned
EAT MY OVERALLOWED.. You nail it right on the head as far as im concerned. Everything in your posts relates with many drivers, there are some cowards among us who stick up for nothing and have no balls for anything in life and just scape by.YOU GUYS ARE SLAVES TO THE COMPANY AND PATHETIC, go apply to MGT and get off this site..

I find your mindset interesting.

when I got hired the HR guy walked me around , showed me the operation and in every politically correct way told me that he would work the piss out of me. I looked him in the eye and said I can do that job, I want that job.

you had to have had the same conversation or you would not be working here.

You're now at a point where you and the poor peformance braggert use your extra energy to disrupt the operation rather then come in and use it doing the best job you can. Sounds like a violation of a verbal contract to me.

UPSSOCKS

That is the worst advice you could give to a fellow sister of the union. You willl get someone fired. Work hard one day and then slack off another. It's sabotage and very easy to discipline....

Mick32

But they arent improving safety or service.

The observations are typically done on drivers who are closer to the building and are easier to find.

The goal is not safety or service, it is to meet a quota and to allow the management person in question to generate enough reports, paperwork, and warning letters to justify their job and maintain the illusion that they are contributing something worthwhile to the company that cuts them a paycheck.

If this is the case in your center, that's a shame. I don't like doing observations any more than you like being observed, but it's a necessity. I don't know what you're doing unless I go out and take a look. Does that sometimes lead to discipline? Sure. But more often, at least from me, leads to an "attaboy" or a suggestion that the driver in question should think about changing how he does this or that.

It's pretty comical that every person in this thread representing UPS management acts like "area observations" don't turn around into discipline. It's also laughable that you act as if you don't specifically target certain people and let others go off the hook with safety violations. You aren't going out with the intentions of insuring people are working safely -- the sole intention is to invent an infraction and create a case to fire the person ASAP. I work in a bonus center and up until this year it was unheard of for someone who makes bonus to be disciplined for ANYTHING. Fast-forward to the new flavor of 2010 at UPS -- go out and harass drivers who are more than 1hr under and 1hr over. Not only have I seen this in person, I was told by a manager that this is what they are being instructed to do now. Anybody who falls outside of the extremes of -1hr/+1hr is targeted by management and harassed on a daily basis up to and including termination. Managers are giving out outrageous warning letters for bizarre nitpicking violations to justify their own existence. A few weeks ago a driver here got a warning letter for not pulling in his mirror while parked. Meanwhile the allowances are the worst I have ever seen, I don't even understand how people are even making bonus anymore. I'm maxed out and have been for years as far as stops go, I have no extra time in my day outside of my lunch and break. If you are a target of this production harassment, start documenting everything (dates, times, names, comments made by management, etc) and put it into a file at home. The way this company handles itself in regards to targeting and harassing people is a ticking lawsuit bomb.

This post is all the hell over the place.
Yes, I've given discipline for findings from an observation, but only after repeated "offenses" - i.e. a driver who didn't use his four-ways on two consecutive observations might get a warning letter. But usually, it's just a situation where you review the observation with the driver and instruct him what you would want him to do differently while praising what you saw that was positive.
Do you sometimes "target" individuals for observations? Absolutely, but it's people who have poor safety records or have been observed riding dirty in the past, not bonus drivers. But observations need to be done on all drivers. Our center manager took a driver out of service for not wearing his belt while being observed and this was, by his own words, "my best, safest, driver". If we have 75 drivers in the center, he'd be 75th most-likely to be driving without his seatbelt or to disciplined for anything, really, and there he was driving with no belt. I'd rather we find this out from "spying" than because he, say, falls out of a moving package car.
The attitude of some people here about management is so over-the-top sometimes that I almost think it's an act.

Omega man

That is the worst advice you could give to a fellow sister of the union. You willl get someone fired. Work hard one day and then slack off another. It's sabotage and very easy to discipline....

I never said to slack off. We all know that because of the way UPS has chosen to run their business, the only way it functions without being a total disaster each day is if hourly workers are willing to do more than their normal job responsibilities and put fires out for you in management. Many times the problems are not directly caused by immediate supervisors but by the silly, ridiculous policies of higher management. When we are treated badly we simply turn our backs and let those fires burn.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I was observed, yet again, yesterday. I just do the job, and if they watch me, they watch me. Exactly how it happened yesterday. I look up and the supe is sitting there in his truck observing me. I'm glad he has A/C. I'd hate for him to actually sweat or something.:wink2:

over9five

Staff member
I was observed, yet again, yesterday. I just do the job, and if they watch me, they watch me. Exactly how it happened yesterday. I look up and the supe is sitting there in his truck observing me. I'm glad he has A/C. I'd hate for him to actually sweat or something.:wink2:

It's also good that this gives him something to do...

UPSSOCKS

So what it's his job. Do yours and you have nothing to worry about.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
So what it's his job. Do yours and you have nothing to worry about.
If you noticed, I said nothing about worrying, fear, harassment, in my post. I merely said I was observed, which I understand is their job to do. I have no problem with being observed because it will supposedly make me a better driver. The problem I have with observations, is when the observer, rather than instruct and try to help you correct "bad habits", writes you up for those bad habits. Observations, as I understand them, are supposed to be a tool for corrections, not discipline.