How many routes have you had and how long have you been on your current one?

Grey

There's a vet in our center that's had two routes in just under 26 years driving. Those guys have it good.

Also for cover drivers... How long have you been driving without your own route?

Ms.PacMan

2 yrs on a training route (the old fashioned kind) ugh. 5 yrs bid utility driver. 3 yrs first bid route. 12 almost 13 on current route.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I was PT. A FT opening came for a PC driver in our center due to a termination. I bid on it and won it. Stayed on it for 9 years until I went into feeders.

scisector9

I am lucky. Coverage driver for 19 months, first "assigned" bid route for 3 months, currently on second bid route for 13 months. Both assigned route and this bid route training routes....PITA when I get cut but current route is gravy. Heavy, but gravy.

Cementups

Box Monkey
On my 5th route, been on my current route for about a year now.

If it were up to me I would have never left the third route.

poophappens

I put my name down on every route and won my first one after 11 years of utility driving. Been on it for 7 months and it's so much better than bouncing from one route to the next.

Grey

I put my name down on every route and won my first one after 11 years of utility driving. Been on it for 7 months and it's so much better than bouncing from one route to the next.

Well it sounds like you were top cover for a while then. We have guys that were swinging for 8+ years and they can pick whatever route is up for vacation or if that PC driver was in feeders and their route was open for the week. A lot of the feeder guys are gone for 6+ months so it's like some cover guys have their own route anyway.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Had 6 or 7 routes over 18 years, last one was the best but it wasn't enough to keep me from bidding feeder.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Part time for 5 years, covered for 5 (learned maybe 10 routes), bid a training route for 2, then bid the route I would retire from for my final 14, but even it became a joke after PAS and ORION.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I won an assigned route bid straight out of the Hub in 1984. I have never had to be a swing driver. I started out driving a straight truck on a warehouse route for six years, then I started bidding on residential routes. I'm on my fourth route now, I started driving a P-500 on it about 1996.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
One route for 21 years. Was a swing driver for seven years. Would never consider leaving my route. Too old to learn a new one.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don't think drivers can bid into those in my area.

As a general rule you are correct; however, this was one of the first ones created after the strike and as such we are allowed to bid.

The night sort manager told me that it was a sweet job and that I was not only eligible to bid on it but that I should take it.