"How much do you make"

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Not as delusional as you are thinking your sons education should cost $73k dollars

I never said that it should cost that. $55K of that was for a one year MBA program.

What I am saying is that the investment that he made, both financially and personally, will pay dividends down the line.

Why didn't you teach him about Earn and Learn so he could have saved some debt?

Earn and Learn is not offered in my center.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Whoa whoa whoa, I missed a chance to post how much I make?

Seriously though, I tell them every time they ask. Haven't seen a single one of them in the hub yet.

browntroll

i go through this every peak season with new hires. i tell them how much drivers can make but i make
sure i lay everything out. then i asked them can their bodies really handle this work(hub)? then still even more
damage/use once they go driver? i always answer when ppl ask how much i make it doesnt matter to me.
did have close relative to go and graduate recently only has a few grand in debt now, but first year
at job starting at 50k with bachelors degree and just bought/financed for a house. in my state(cali) that 50k salary
isnt :censored2: though do to everything costing so much.

vvv

I have a customer that gets 5-35 mostly heavy parcels a day. They don't help unload, & I think it's 'cause they know what we make. Have heard the "but you make the big bucks" outta the main receiving guy a couple times. Even though I am, I was like, "I've got a few years to go 'till that happens". Anyone can Google it. "Enoug"h or "we do all right" is probably the best answer. I don't mind certain people knowing, but not good if they're receivers. More often than not, they won't help if they know, & I know... paid by the hour, but I sure like help at certain bulk stops!
I never have even when the company tried to force me to do so, especially with over 70LBS. Said I can't trust them and they are not as stringent as our company and can be under the influence from previous night and I fear for my safety. Doing your own work and DOING IT RIGHT = LESS STOPS DAILY!!

twoweeled

Standing at a gas station today waiting to get a sig. some guy just randomly asks how much I make.. I was like what? Hes like "is it $30?" I said it depends you start out part time for several years around minimum wage.. he kept trying to ask and I just got the sig ignored him and walked out..

Why do people think its acceptable to just ask how much I make? This isn't the first time it happened but most of the time people just ask in small talk but guys first words were just asking me how much I make.
I think there seems to be a certain amount of ignorance attached to someone who just outta the blue, ask someone (he doesn't know) what their income is. I've also been asked, and respond very similar to "Brownslave". Not enough, just enough, I wish it were more, you don't wanna know, and I'm not sure!

twoweeled

Eh, I just dont think its appropriate to ask, or answer.. You and everyone here knows what it took to get this job, and the BS we have had to deal with along the way. How do you think some people would react when I say with overtime I'm pushing 100k.
People don't react very happy about that $100K figure. I think many of us experienced it after the strike in 97?

twoweeled

"Earned it?" Keep in mind that we are talking about a job which requires nothing more than a HS diploma and drivers license.
and a willingness to thrash your back, knees, ankles and shoulders. A tolerance for daily harassment, stress in abundance topped with occasional complaints from customers who don't understand why you can't do the things they'd like you to do. There's a reason why some people even after putting up with the crap in the hub, will choose to go back to the hub, after experiencing package driving. To imply that anyone with a HS diploma and a driver's license can do this job, is a gross understatement.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

and a willingness to thrash your back, knees, ankles and shoulders. A tolerance for daily harassment, stress in abundance topped with occasional complaints from customers who don't understand why you can't do the things they'd like you to do. There's a reason why some people even after putting up with the crap in the hub, will choose to go back to the hub, after experiencing package driving. To imply that anyone with a HS diploma and a driver's license can do this job, is a gross understatement.

To imply that you needs skills beyond those consistent with a HS diploma and drivers license is a gross exaggeration.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Keep beating that dead horse.
RL0xU1daTlMoE.gif

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
To imply that you needs skills beyond those consistent with a HS diploma and drivers license is a gross exaggeration.
You need organizational skills. You need a good sense of direction. You need to know how to read maps. You need to be able to work under pressure and time constraints.

All things that many many people in this world do not posses.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Upstate's argument is the same as someone saying "you just have to be over 35 and a US citizen to be President". I think 2016 has proven that to be wrong.

It takes a bit more than that to survive 40 years at UPS.

Last edited: