"How much do you make"

MendozaJ

I would not tell a stranger how much I earn. I've had my home burglarized twice. I'm talking professional thieves. They scope you out, observe your patterns, know when no one is home then rob you in broad daylight.

The public perception in my area is that it is a difficult job. I get more respect than any other job I've ever held. Everyone knows someone that has tried and failed at a UPS career for whatever reason.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I had a little smart assed kid (20-plus) busting my balls about being a driver and having to wear a crap brown uniform all day. I said for what they pay me I would wear a clown suit if they wanted me to. He says, "oh what, $15/hour?" I said, not quite. It just happened to be a payday and I pulled my paycheck out and handed it to him. He opened it and I pointed to my take home. He was sort of shocked but then goes, "no big deal, that's two weeks worth." I said, "no, I get paid weekly my friend." His jaw about dropped and he looked at some of his coworkers who happened to be nearby to see if they had any idea and they just laughed at him.

WorknLateHuh

I had a little smart assed kid (20-plus) busting my balls about being a driver and having to wear a crap brown uniform all day. I said for what they pay me I would wear a clown suit if they wanted me to. He says, "oh what, $15/hour?" I said, not quite. It just happened to be a payday and I pulled my paycheck out and handed it to him. He opened it and I pointed to my take home. He was sort of shocked but then goes, "no big deal, that's two weeks worth." I said, "no, I get paid weekly my friend." His jaw about dropped and he looked at some of his coworkers who happened to be nearby to see if they had any idea and they just laughed at him.

This brings up a good point. Would we as drivers actually wear clown suits for the rest of our career to keep our pay rate?

Seriously tho, i think i would lol

Box Ox

Customers don't tend to understand that before we became drivers, most of us attended the university of shiz getting shoved up our A's in the middle of the night. For the same amount of time it takes to get an actual degree. Or many degrees. I'd say that's an under appreciated factor people don't know or think about when they question our pay.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Customers don't tend to understand that before we became drivers, most of us attended the university of shiz getting shoved up our A's in the middle of the night. For the same amount of time it takes to get an actual degree. Or many degrees. I'd say that's an under appreciated factor people don't know or think about when they question our pay.

But there are guys like @UpstateNYUPSer who never had to do that either and don't appreciate it as much as other.

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
You "earned" a $100K job just by slinging boxes for a few years?

My son spent 5 years in college and racked up $73K in student loan debt to "earn" a job in which he will make more than I do within the next 5 years.

Yes, we did earn this job by slinging boxes for years. At Fedex you can become a driver almost instantly. You get paid less and have lesser benefits. At UPS everyone knows the name of the game is seniority. You pay your dues, your time is rewarded with the opportunity to move up. There are those rare cases like yours where someone is hired off the street. Just consider yourself extremely lucky and don't discredit the hard manual labor us other folks had to put in to get where we are today.

Orion inc.

I like turtles

My son spent 5 years in college and racked up $73K in student loan debt to "earn" a job in which he will make more than I do within the next 5 years.

He would have wasted his time by working here for 5 years.

You are clearly delusional if you think this job warrants $35/hr.

If you feel this job doesn't warrant the pay and benefits, then quit and take the moral high road with your conviction and go do something else. You won't?? Exactly but you'll sure stand on that soap box and tell others who they don't warrant what you make and should be grateful.

And your son has 73k in loans because you didn't do your job as a father and save for his education and opportunities.

Maybe if you had invested more in his future with some of your "overpaid" salary, he wouldn't be so deep in debt in the beginning of his adult life.

Priorities Dave. Why don't you sell some of that Apple stock you're always bragging about and help him eliminate his loans? If he had to take out 73k for an education, you didn't plan well as a father for his education.

Box Ox

Will your son have "earned" a $100K+ job when he makes more than you do within the next 5 years because he went to college?

I went to college too. The studying wasn't fun. Sometimes stressful. And the keg party hangovers could be pretty bad.

But those years of "slinging boxes" in the middle of the night were a hell of a lot more challenging than college ever was. And makes me more deserving of a $100K job than college ever did.

clean hairy

Answers I have given "If I tell you, can I ask you questions about YOUR personal life which are none of my Business?"
"That is a rather personal question, why would I answer that?"
"You make it a habit to pry into the lives of strangers?"
I also get hard of hearing "How much do you make?"
"Huh? Did you ask me a question?"
After 2 or 3 times, the people finally gets the idea!
"How much do you make?"
"After you tell me how much you make, how much you paid for your House, and your car, and what your Assets are, and total amount of all your debts, along with your bank balances, I will tell you"
They get all offended! "None of your business!"
"Exactly, you just answered your own question!"

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
Yes, we did earn this job by slinging boxes for years. At Fedex you can become a driver almost instantly. You get paid less and have lesser benefits. At UPS everyone knows the name of the game is seniority. You pay your dues, your time is rewarded with the opportunity to move up. There are those rare cases like yours where someone is hired off the street. Just consider yourself extremely lucky and don't discredit the hard manual labor us other folks had to put in to get where we are today.
Unless you're Dave the chair force veteran.

542thruNthru

If you feel this job doesn't warrant the pay and benefits, then quit and take the moral high road with your conviction and go do something else. You won't?? Exactly but you'll sure stand on that soap box and tell others who they don't warrant what you make and should be grateful.

And your son has 73k in loans because you didn't do your job as a father and save for his education and opportunities.

Maybe if you had invested more in his future with some of your "overpaid" salary, he wouldn't be so deep in debt in the beginning of his adult life.

Priorities Dave. Why don't you sell some of that Apple stock you're always bragging about and help him eliminate his loans? If he had to take out 73k for an education, you didn't plan well as a father for his education.

I feel bad for some kids. It's hard growing up without a proper role model.

It is funny how now racking up student loan debt is accomplishing something. My brother got his degree and worked the whole time. When he graduated his debt was 12k but hey he was lucky. He had a good role model.

MethodsMan

The manager at the Dairy Queen on my route once told me she was thinking about quitting and becoming a UPS driver, but she's not sure if she could handle all the sitting from driving around all day. I almost spit my Salted Carmel Truffle blizzard all over her face because I laughed so hard at her. I held my composure though and said "you totally should its not that bad".

She's about 30lbs overweight and goes out to smoke a cig in her minivan every 10 minutes.

MethodsMan

Why didn't you teach him about Earn and Learn so he could have saved some debt?