how much $ does UPS waste on paper

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
think about it, in every truck there is 2 or 3 new sheets of paper each day. every single log has 2-3 sheets of paper each day. each center probably posts at least 20 sheets of paper each day showing hours worked, telematics reports, safety things and so on and so forth. the building i work in probably runs 250 routes a day minimum, thats about 500 sheets just going into each truck showing the route number and how many pieces are loaded onto each shelf
And now you know what your management is really typing when they're clickity clicking their mouses in their offices and are too busy to help you...

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
They only go back 3 years on upsers.

We get an annual statement from our pension office which shows the total number of pension hours credited for that year. Compare that statement to that year's pay stubs and if the numbers match discard the pay stubs.

There is no tangible reason to hang on to 30 years worth of pay stubs.
A few guys here were lucky they saved theirs when retirement time came around. Mistakes happen, especially in the early years. Paper records can be worth more than gold.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

A few guys here were lucky they saved theirs when retirement time came around. Mistakes happen, especially in the early years. Paper records can be worth more than gold.

Comparing your end of year pay stub to your annual pension credit statement could catch those errors much more quickly, allowing them to be corrected in a much more timely manner.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Comparing your end of year pay stub to your annual pension credit statement could catch those errors much more quickly, allowing them to be corrected in a much more timely manner.
We have a website through our pension administrator. Shows our pension credits by week since starting date. Only gap for me is the 97 strike.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder

Except that here we used to not be 'all compensible' so only straight time hours counted & some months like February you could not earn full credit. It's a binder or a shoebox full of paystubs dude, seriously.

UPSGUY72

think about it, in every truck there is 2 or 3 new sheets of paper each day. every single log has 2-3 sheets of paper each day. each center probably posts at least 20 sheets of paper each day showing hours worked, telematics reports, safety things and so on and so forth. the building i work in probably runs 250 routes a day minimum, thats about 500 sheets just going into each truck showing the route number and how many pieces are loaded onto each shelf

Don't worry UPS makes billions a dollars a year after they pay all the bills that includes the paper bill. FYI it's called a business expense / tax write off.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
Is mine, the only center that bothers to print off every NDA and place them in the driver's box/cubbie on Mondays?

My board tells me what air pkgs I have. Are 80 sheets of paper, thrown into a trash bin necessary? Especially, since Tuesday-Friday are apparently irrelevant.

NonDeliverOtherMissed

At our building we have "recycle bins" ...one day our secretary put a soda can in the trash, I picked it out n put it in the blue recycle bin. She saw me do it and said " doesn't matter, the guys who come around for the trash dump both cans in the same bigger trash can" ....they have the blue bins just for show, in the end all of it gets thrown in the dumpster...so wasting paper n wasting money on the actual recycle bins...nice

Robert91

I'm really surprised no on has yet mentioned how much paper is used for the add-cuts done each day ten minutes before the drivers' start time. We must use 50-100 pieces of paper a day just on add-cuts in my center.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Is mine, the only center that bothers to print off every NDA and place them in the driver's box/cubbie on Mondays?

My board tells me what air pkgs I have. Are 80 sheets of paper, thrown into a trash bin necessary? Especially, since Tuesday-Friday are apparently irrelevant.

Monday's are "perfect service day" and you may have NDA that you don't normally have due to routes being cut.

edd_tv

Cardboard picker upper
Our building just uses the paper from cases that get wet or busted open or overgoods.

I'm surprised they haven't figured a away for the scanners that do the origin scans on local sort to be configured to do add cuts. It seems like it would make the whole process more streamlined and make sure that every pkg gets pulled.