How Strict Are They with The Package Delivery Driver Road Test And What To Expect?

deli12

Re: How Strict Are They with The Package Delivery Driver Road Test And What To Expect

Two questions OP:

1. How much company seniority do you have?

2. What district are you in?

I really want to get a shot at driving, but in my district (Los Angeles) you need at least 13 or 14 years of seniority to go driving. I only have 10. Thinking about moving just so I can go driving.

None. This is for a seasonal/temporary driver. If you go to ups.com, then click on careers, they are looking for temp drivers all over. I happen to be in NYC.

deli12

Re: How Strict Are They with The Package Delivery Driver Road Test And What To Expect

So, no call so no road test! Guess I gotta contact HR.

robbdogg75

I just took the road two months ago and went to school the week after. Out of 5 taking the road test, only two of us passed. They used a point system, something like 125 points and you fail. You get points for infractions etc. going into wrong gear 20 points, stalling 20 points, grinding gears 5 points, improper following distance 10 points and so on. There's a list of about 25 things you can do wrong, so it's easy to fail. I got 85 points, but still passed.
In school we had two out of eleven fail. A lot stricter in school, but you get two practice days on the road before the road test and the instructor explains what needs to be done for you to pass. Nerve racking for sure, but not too bad. You will get paid at school for what postion you will be working. Where I'm at that is $26.66 a hour for cover driver. I waited four years to be one though. Good luck to you, its definately worth it.

preload1

Hey,

I'll be taking my road test on Monday for Package Delivery Driver and want to know what to expect. Oh, I just learned how to drive stick....meaning I will have taken just two 45min classes before the test:surprised: If you stall once is that an automatic failure and how similar are ups trucks to standard cars? What is the max gear drivers usually use on residential streets. How sensitive is the clutch. Do you have to release it alot in order to engage it or not so much?

Thanks!

Deli. If you have to ask that question than you should keep working at the deli. Driving a package car is the easy part. The hard part is learning a route, using proper methods, and keeping yourself and the public safe and staying organized during the delivery and pick-up processes. I have trained many drivers and they were all scared about driving the package car. That's the easy part. And they always came back to me to tell me I was right. Every vehicle is different. That's why the methods require you to do a yard test before you hit the street. You better consentrate too. Just learning to drive a stick now and expecting it to apply to a package car is just plain dumb. You should have learned how to drive a stick years ago. Get rid of the X-Box stuff and enter the real world. Good luck.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Deli. If you have to ask that question than you should keep working at the deli. Driving a package car is the easy part. The hard part is learning a route, using proper methods, and keeping yourself and the public and staying organized during the delivery and pick-up processes. I have trained many drivers and they were all scared about driving the package car. That's the easy part. And they always came back to me to tell me I was right. Every vehicle is different. That's why the methods require you to do a yard test before you hit the street. You better consentrate too. Just learning to drive a stick now and expecting it to apply to a package car is just plain dumb. You should have learned how to drive a stick years ago. Get rid of the X-Box stuff and enter the real world. Good luck.

The word is "concentrate".

moreluck

golden ticket member

A regular Funk & Wagnalls!!

deli12

I just took the road two months ago and went to school the week after. Out of 5 taking the road test, only two of us passed. They used a point system, something like 125 points and you fail. You get points for infractions etc. going into wrong gear 20 points, stalling 20 points, grinding gears 5 points, improper following distance 10 points and so on. There's a list of about 25 things you can do wrong, so it's easy to fail. I got 85 points, but still passed.
In school we had two out of eleven fail. A lot stricter in school, but you get two practice days on the road before the road test and the instructor explains what needs to be done for you to pass. Nerve racking for sure, but not too bad. You will get paid at school for what postion you will be working. Where I'm at that is $26.66 a hour for cover driver. I waited four years to be one though. Good luck to you, its definately worth it.

Thanks so much for the info! That is good to know. Well, the starting pay will only be $16.10. I will be a newbie and temp/seasonal so a layoff is very likely, but I'll take what I can get.

Big Babooba

You have to be able to turn a corner on two wheels in a loaded P1200 and not let a package fall off of the shelf. If you can't do that then you can't drive for UPS.

deli12

So I decided to go back to the hub in order to speak with the person who interviewed me to speak with them about scheduling my road test. First, of course the person wasn't there. Second, I ask the person at the front for their number, he gives it to me, but when I call it it's a non-working number. I go back in to tell them it's the wrong number and the person shrugs and says, it's probably plugged out. I'm like, HUH!!?! I said it's a non-working number meaning it doesn't exist (I used to work at the phone company) and they're just like, I don't know then. Hmmmm, sounds real shady! Anywho, I left my number and a brief note for the HR person. I get a call back about two hours later, couldn't answer because I was driving (of course), saying they called me three times and didn't get me. HUH!!! On the morning of the supposed test, I was up at 7:30am. My phone was on all night and it never rang once. On that same message this hr person also says that they will be conducting road tests on Friday, but didn't say what time. They left me a number to call back to confirm whether I could make it on Friday. I call several times and the phone just rings and rings, no voicemail for me to leave a message. Also, this hr person claims they called me three times and never thought it was a good idea to leave a message?! That's just strange. I called several times today as well and to no avail. The phone just rings and rings. I suppose this person is just yanking my chain and never actually intended to schedule me for a road test in the first place. Well, they have got me beat. I won't be calling back or wasting any more gas and toll money to find out if I can take the road test. :angry:

NY11725

I wonder how often they replace clutches on the trucks. I always see a truck on the road at a light, and I have a stick, so I know how it is to engage first gear, and some of these drivers, you see the whole truck jerk back and forth from such a sloppy engagement. I actually honestly feel bad for the transmissions.

whiskers

That's unfortunate, and I bet very frustrating, that they are giving you the run around. But, if it were me, I'd wake up early and call. And maybe even show up there.