How to become a pilot

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
First of all....thanks.

Like almost all of these threads where I am smeared and attacked, it went far, far off the tracks. This guy is very sensitive about ADD. I get it. He will find out about lying....it always catches up with you. And he wants to be an officer.....

I started flying in my early twenties. I have 4 degrees in aviation like Airport Mgt. and Air Cargo Transportation among a few. I've been flying for almost 40 years. I've been immersed in aviation all of my adult life....transportation too. I work for UPS FFS. I get FAA medicals ALL THE TIME. Being older I have a few "issues"......I stay right on top of those....so I can continue to fly.

Anecdotal story: Both my daughter and her husband take the above psycho active script drugs for ADD and anxiety respectively. They are mid/late 20's. I would love to give them access to my plane and teach them to fly.......as you know it's not really possible. The possibility of them being pilots is about zero. A shame too.

Now about automotive.....as angry as this guy got about ADD, you got about automotive. I have been in automotive and have LOT'S of experience in operations(driving). I'm a Certified Aircraft Mechanic(A&P) and pilot. Do I know everything? No. But then my experiences are my own. I just relate them. Does that mean it didn't happen? Well, I can't make you believe it. But then, why would I make it up?

Generally, I'd love to talk aviation or automotive, feeders or just about anything. But 30 seconds after I post, I'm attacked personally.
I will respond and so it goes. I don't have to take it and won't.

There is a lot of hate and anger on this forum. Why? I'm not sure.

What a blowhard

No anger here just call out the BS as I see it
to bad if it offends you...... serious question

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
First of all....thanks.

Like almost all of these threads where I am smeared and attacked, it went far, far off the tracks. This guy is very sensitive about ADD. I get it. He will find out about lying....it always catches up with you. And he wants to be an officer.....

I started flying in my early twenties. I have 4 degrees in aviation like Airport Mgt. and Air Cargo Transportation among a few. I've been flying for almost 40 years. I've been immersed in aviation all of my adult life....transportation too. I work for UPS FFS. I get FAA medicals ALL THE TIME. Being older I have a few "issues"......I stay right on top of those....so I can continue to fly.

Anecdotal story: Both my daughter and her husband take the above psycho active script drugs for ADD and anxiety respectively. They are mid/late 20's. I would love to give them access to my plane and teach them to fly.......as you know it's not really possible. The possibility of them being pilots is about zero. A shame too.

Now about automotive.....as angry as this guy got about ADD, you got about automotive. I have been in automotive and have LOT'S of experience in operations(driving). I'm a Certified Aircraft Mechanic(A&P) and pilot. Do I know everything? No. But then my experiences are my own. I just relate them. Does that mean it didn't happen? Well, I can't make you believe it. But then, why would I make it up?

Generally, I'd love to talk aviation or automotive, feeders or just about anything. But 30 seconds after I post, I'm attacked personally.
I will respond and so it goes. I don't have to take it and won't.

There is a lot of hate and anger on this forum. Why? I'm not sure.

It's possible that you have some bad shops in your area. I have heard that some places send a lot of work out, we don't do that up here. It is rare anything goes to a dealer, typically only happens for warranty.

Bad mouthing the shop is a sore subject for me. Sure, I won't lie l we don't like seeing feeder drivers come in, but that is because like everyone else at UPS we have unreasonable things expected of us plus being pressured by our management, ops management, and seemingly everyone else and a lot of drivers think we do nothing because we did not get to their non safety issue the day they wrote it up.

These trucks are absolute :censored2: boxes, all the package cars 5 years or older pretty much need a whole body.. some of the trucks in my fleet the workhorses in particular the body is so worn out that the rattles give me a headache in 5 minutes... No clue how anybody drives that for 10 hours a day. We are the ones that get blamed for it. Not management understaffing the shop for years. Give us the space, time and resources to fix the trucks. They should be rotated out with spares and repaired properly, not half assed and mickey mouse repairs done in the few hours before preload.

Last edited:

quad decade guy

It's possible that you have some bad shops in your area. I have heard that some places send a lot of work out, we don't do that up here. It is rare anything goes to a dealer, typically only happens for warranty.

Bad mouthing the shop is a sore subject for me. Sure, I won't lie l we don't like seeing feeder drivers come in, but that is because like everyone else at UPS we have unreasonable things expected of us plus being pressured by our management, ops management, and seemingly everyone else and a lot of drivers think we do nothing because we did not get to their non safety issue the day they wrote it up.

These trucks are absolute * boxes, all the package cars 5 years or older pretty much need a whole body.. some of the trucks in my fleet the workhorses in particular the body is so worn out that the rattles give me a headache in 5 minutes... No clue how anybody drives that for 10 hours a day. We are the ones that get blamed for it. Not management understaffing the shop for years. Give us the space, time and resources to fix the trucks. They should be rotated out with spares and repaired properly, not half assed and mickey mouse repairs done in the few hours before preload.
See, I believe we can have a rational, calm discussion....I appreciate that.

We (you and I ) are both victims of the same circumstance. They give us junk to drive and they don't give you the time nor parts to fix it. I get it.

I drive a brand new Freightliner that has a full electrical melt down about twice a week with every warning light going off for hours. This makes me have to drive without cruise control for about 5 hours. It is very fatiguing. But I don't dare write it up for fear of it disappearing for days or weeks.

I don't know about bad shops.....but more of who mans them or the mgt. Some of the nicest folks you'll ever meet and then there's....

One of the nastiest, worst attitude mechanics I've ever met recently retired around here. He was just hateful and miserable to everyone. Openly hostile.

But then, that describes folks here and feeder drivers to mgt.

You are dreaming about doing things properly....never gonna happen.

quad decade guy

What a blowhard

No anger here just call out the BS as I see it
to bad if it offends you...... serious question
K.

Now exactly.....I'm a blowhard because...? Everything I said was fact.

BS? what part?

See, an attack^. And being smeared. Why?

Why are you so jealous? Why are you offended by folks who have accomplished something? Or actually know what they are talking about?

To quote a movie: "What are you so angry about?"

This behavior makes you look really petty and frankly stupid.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
This thread is hilarious. The OP doesn't seem to know OCS from NROTC; the difference between an FF/Tiger and a Phantom, etc. and then there's the bottom feeding, quad-gender, never-accomplished anything nobody who is even less knowledgeable about any subject except gettin' free :censored2: from UPS defending his skills, knowledge and worldly ways and making more enemies than anyone ever has in the shortest time on BC. "Wanna' talk aviation"?? LOL...Mom taking you to Walmart and riding the airplane outside the door does not qualify as aviation, regardless of your leather helmet and motor noises you make.....Ha Ha!!!

quad decade guy

This thread is hilarious. The OP doesn't seem to know OCS from NROTC; the difference between an FF/Tiger and a Phantom, etc. and then there's the bottom feeding, quad-gender, never-accomplished anything nobody who is even less knowledgeable about any subject except gettin' free * from UPS defending his skills, knowledge and worldly ways and making more enemies than anyone ever has in the shortest time on BC. "Wanna' talk aviation"?? LOL...Mom taking you to Walmart and riding the airplane outside the door does not qualify as aviation, regardless of your leather helmet and motor noises you make.....Ha Ha!!!
K.

Another attack^ and smear.

The "OP" asked about how to become a pilot.

The Marine(who I think you are calling the OP, he isn't) joined in....I don't know what a FF/Tiger is....you mean friend-5 Tiger? See you are so hateful and trying to be a tool....you can't even get that right...

The rest of it really isn't hilarious.....but typical of a wholes on BC like you. Where's all this free stuff? Did I miss something? If I'm bottom feeding....why you down here?

BTW, enemies? Because I want to talk aviation? SO strange....bullying me about my accomplishments just makes you look petty, jealous hateful and just plain stupid. Like the 17 year old 8th grader....

Your credentials......please.

Wanna talk aviation? I'm well qualified. You?

quad decade guy

Flying is a extremely expensive hobby. If quaddecade flys a lot owning maybe cheaper for him and holding an a&p allows him to work on certified aircraft legally.

Renting a 172 wet is around 100-120 a hour around here the last time I checked. Back when I was flying it was a little cheaper, I was single back then and basically lived as dirt cheap as possible in order to fly. If I started up again I would try to purchase a experimental like a vans rv6 so I could work on it myself, but even then you need to fuel it and store it.
Bingo.

Thanks again.

I own an experimental and can inspect(annual/condition inspection) it also. My hangar rent is $150 per month. My plane uses about 7 gallons per hour. I can afford that. I owned a Cardinal 177 for awhile but a few engine scares had me sell it. A new engine is about $50k. I really can't afford that. My plane has the same engine as a Cessna 150. Cheap and reliable. I can't afford an RV6 or such. If I could, I would like an RV8. I like the tandem configuration. My plane is capable of +6/-3 g's aerobatic. I won't tell you what it is for privacy reasons....there's a small fleet and mine is very distinctive in paint. It would give my identity away pretty easily. BTW, I'm pretty conservative(chicken) about aerobatics.

Get back in the saddle and fly....you'll never regret it. You will regret NOT doing it. I made a promise to myself that I'll fly as much as I can while I still can. It took me 40 years to get 500 hours......think about that. And I bought every one of those hours. Btw, when I first started flying, a C152 was about $15 per hour wet. I was making $11.70 as a part-timer. I spent every spare dollar flying. And then some.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
This keeps getting better and better
Lmao
63c82697bbeddf5f65b7ef31f21552ea.jpg

quad decade guy

LOL....I was wrong about CHICKEN (OP) and MISPLACEDRAIL WORKER (who is confused about OCS and NROTC)....Follow along Jack (Quad-Gender) Northrop Jr......

The Freedom Fighter (FF) was basically 1st/2nd Gen of the friend-5A/B; Tiger was 3rd Gen; Tiger II was 4th Gen. friend-5G was the single engine Tigershark developed for foreign markets, but never sold. T-38 was the Trainer, although several friend-5's were fitted with a back seat.
"Free stuff" is what bottom feeders like you survive off of. It's kind of like carrion that you take home and boil for meals...
You have become a laughing stock of BC, probably like your Center where you have no friends.

My credentials have never been questioned, but I paid my dues over and over again; unlike you who is an obvious wannabe and non-achiever.

I think you memorized some Popular Mechanics pages that are not stuck together that you have in your bedroom.

Poor, little non-achieving man...Mom, in her see through, cut you off at 40....Ha Ha Ha!!
Right, you were wrong.....

Thank God for wikipedia...eh? Your description is probably an exact quote.....

Not sure about boiled meats and all.....that's pretty weird......man the rabbit trails you guys go down to smear/bully me....

Now, this free stuff? again please.....huh?

To you: Why are you so angry? Are you ADD/ADHD also? Touch a nerve there? The Marines big brother? Lover?

Tell us about your credentials.....you've paid your dues....in the Cub Scouts? Jelly of the month club? What?

I've been called just a truck driver.....You?

You've bullied me over and over.......how about why?

Chicken

I’d like to thank everyone for responding, it means a lot. Just pondering what I truly want to do with my life. Wish I would have decided sooner haha. Just not sure if I want to spend my life driving a package car.

I believe the military is going to be my only option, with bills and everything I’m going to need some money coming in, as well as getting my college in exchange for service.

The only issue is, I would have to serve 4 years enlisted right? Could I complete college in that time? And then go to Office Candidate school after that, and then serve as a pilot?

Which branch is the best for education? Which branch is the best for a pilot?
Would UPS airlines consider someone who has worked for UPS before, has a college degree, and is a military applicant?

Is there going to be a shortage of pilots in the coming years? So am I choosing a good time to start this journey?

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
I’d like to thank everyone for responding, it means a lot. Just pondering what I truly want to do with my life. Wish I would have decided sooner haha. Just not sure if I want to spend my life driving a package car.

I believe the military is going to be my only option, with bills and everything I’m going to need some money coming in, as well as getting my college in exchange for service.

The only issue is, I would have to serve 4 years enlisted right? Could I complete college in that time? And then go to Office Candidate school after that, and then serve as a pilot?

Would UPS airlines consider someone who has worked for UPS before, has a college degree, and is a military applicant?

Is there going to be a shortage of pilots in the coming years? So am I choosing a good time to start this journey?
God help us...

quad decade guy

S T O P!

Find an FAA approved Doctor for flight physicals. Go have a consultation FIRST. Then see if he thinks you could pass a First Class Flight Physical.

If so, then listen up....

I would encourage you to go to a small airport and talk to the flight school. Ask them all your questions. Then go to a big flight school. Ask them all your questions. Get prices and a realistic time frame for your goals.

I can't tell if you are serious or just a troll....or really young like 13 yo.

Your chance of actually becoming a military pilot(of any kind) is slim to none.....really. This(odds) is for just about everyone.

I'm not sure how old you really are.

If you go into the military, it will take years to get your degree unless you go into an Academy.

Got to a recruiter and ask them all your questions.

Any which way, you are YEARS from flying for UPS.

MisplacedRailWorker

an absolute *ing disgrace of a human being.

You DO NOT have to serve enlisted first that is an obstacle not a stepping stone towards flying.

It is not feasible or necessary, as a matter of fact it is almost frowned upon, to obtain a 4-year degree while being an active-duty enlisted service member. That’s like working a 60-hour work week. It is a full time job.

Go to college and you’ll find the many avenues to becoming a pilot all begin there. Reserves doesn’t pay for college I got mine covered by half by federal loan, and half grant

MisplacedRailWorker

This is a lot of questions but most commercial airline pilots flew in the military. You could find some on LinkedIn that went the civilian route and ask them. UPS is a great place to work but no I don’t believe there are many package or feeder drivers who also obtained the required flight hours to apply for and became pilots for brown. There’s no reason since you can make maybe 60-70% as much by driving.

pkgdriver

This is a lot of questions but most commercial airline pilots flew in the military. You could find some on LinkedIn that went the civilian route and ask them. UPS is a great place to work but no I don’t believe there are many package or feeder drivers who also obtained the required flight hours to apply for and became pilots for brown. There’s no reason since you can make maybe 60-70% as much by driving.
From what Ive read only 1/3 of commercial pilots today are from the military. Same article said it was above 75% in the 60’s (shrugs)
3 preloaders I loaded with are now flying commercial. One is still flying with Brown I believe. The other two with other companies.

MisplacedRailWorker

S T O P!

Find an FAA approved Doctor for flight physicals. Go have a consultation FIRST. Then see if he thinks you could pass a First Class Flight Physical.

If so, then listen up....

I would encourage you to go to a small airport and talk to the flight school. Ask them all your questions. Then go to a big flight school. Ask them all your questions. Get prices and a realistic time frame for your goals.

I can't tell if you are serious or just a troll....or really young like 13 yo.

Your chance of actually becoming a military pilot(of any kind) is slim to none.....really. This(odds) is for just about everyone.

I'm not sure how old you really are.

If you go into the military, it will take years to get your degree unless you go into an Academy.

Got to a recruiter and ask them all your questions.

Any which way, you are YEARS from flying for UPS.
He is years away from flying for UPS, but only 4 years away from flying military fixed-wing aircraft.

We have a system set up called MEPS
(Military Entrance Processing Station)
Where we do physicals

It’s worked for over 100 years
Serious statement