How to become a pilot

quad decade guy

Anything is waiverable. If not for the sole fact that nobody in the military who’s done eight years as an officer, and probably has 100 six-figure job offers being thrown in your face at any given time, wants to do another eight years. Why else would we be offering $200,000 to pilots just to stay a little bit longer
Not anything. Heart attack..... stroke. Lose an eye? lolololol.

MisplacedRailWorker

an absolute *ing disgrace of a human being.
Wow.....

There it is...they say a lot of hot heads and mental cases in the military....I guess it's true.....

Hate......there it is.......

I thought you were a mental case....but admitting it?

But then admit your "girlfriend got denied for my exact statement......but hate me for it...

Say, how many lies have you told your "recruiter"? Is he/she in on this?

Are you a liar? Officer candidate? Private?

Liar?
I know for sure that I’m one of many gentlemen on BC that don’t give a :censored2: who you think I am

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Wow.....

There it is...they say a lot of hot heads and mental cases in the military....I guess it's true.....

Hate......there it is.......

I thought you were a mental case....but admitting it?

But then admit your "girlfriend got denied for my exact statement......but hate me for it...

Say, how many lies have you told your "recruiter"? Is he/she in on this?

Are you a liar? Officer candidate? Private?

Liar?

Why do you ask so many questions...?

Serious question...?

Hot heads are everywhere...! Serious statement....!!!

How is it sleeping in that bunk after another man has sweat all over it
Serious question.........?

MisplacedRailWorker

K.....

Marine reserves....right?

Speaking of sweaty men....lot of "switch hitters" in the Marines....right?

Folks join to be around lots of "guys"? Targets of "opportunity"?

Eh?
Yes sir!
CBC04D2F-12BE-4E04-BE7A-DC6067AFDF1D.jpeg
761D0944-032A-4461-8754-9807E9CF4E32.jpeg

MisplacedRailWorker

I'm sorry.....you have me confused with someone else.....

Are you in one of your "mental states"......perhaps ADD induced?

K.....

Marine reserves....right?

Speaking of sweaty men....lot of "switch hitters" in the Marines....right?

Folks join to be around lots of "guys"? Targets of "opportunity"?

Eh?
You’d be sucking a fat shaft in Japanese if it wasn’t for us.

MisplacedRailWorker

@Chicken
Believe it or not this thread is going to help you in two ways:

1) You can see that it takes thick skin to work in this industry at least from my experience. Notice the lovely personalities that have demonstrated the same for 9 pages now.
2) A lot of useful information directly pertinent to the question at hand has been presented by all. Allow me a few minutes to quote all of it into one neat reply below.

MisplacedRailWorker

Military. Would be almost impossible to get flying hours now with the pandemic as a civilian

Military is the cheapest. Free except for 8 years of your life give or take. How is your health….

…Again, make sure you can qualify first. ADHD and all that can be disqualifying.
Very important side note: Admitted ADHD can be disqualifying. I’m not suggesting you lie about that, but if asked by a recruiter, and you feel at that moment that you do not have a deficit of attention which would disable you from operating an aircraft, then mark NO. Outside of applying for the NSA or something of the like, they do not have a way or desire to investigate every pharmacy or doctor you have ever been to.
Embry-Riddle or the military are your best bets. Best of luck. Real money is made piloting.

Yes. I’m actually in the process of applying for OCS in the USMC, through the PLC program. I just started college for the first time in my life (online) and while it’s an extremely long shot I figured why not at least apply and see if I get picked in the next four years.

We have the same exact vision (can’t see past my nose without glasses) but as long as the military performs the procedure then you’re fine. It’s called PRK but I believe if you get lasik on your own it is disqualifying.

Air Force would be the hardest to be competitive in since they choose most of their pilots from the Air Force Academy (which is like getting into Harvard)

Navy and Marines both fly the same aircraft for the most part, obviously we have less because USMC is the smallest service. Both fly the C-130 Hercules including the gunship and also tanker versions, friend-18s, and a handful of civilian airframes for VIP and various other transport missions. These include the DC-9 (Marines version is called the C-9 Nightingale) and some 727 or 737 variants I believe.

Fun fact: Marines still fly the last remaining friend-5 Phantoms (Top Gun Instructors simulating the enemy)

Oh and all three of the aforementioned services have friend-35s now.

An friend-5
View attachment 328754
A Navy C-40 “Clipper”
View attachment 328755

Military
Fixed wing pilot was my pipe dream senior year of high school
I chose the Marine Corps because I had the brains, and I figured they could give me the braun. I was absolutely correct.
But I went Enlisted (Reservist). Pilots/naval aviators are Officers

Basically, enlisted just work there, officers own the place. The main distinguishing factor is that a 4-year degree is required to become an officer, in any branch.

Your best option, in my opinion, is to apply for OCS (Officer Candidate School). If you were still in high school I would’ve recommended you apply for ROTC, which is the other way of becoming an officer. The main difference is that no money is exchanged if you apply for OCS. As opposed to ROTC which is a full ride scholarship if you graduate.

LinkedIn is a great resource to learn about career paths and communicate with people who are employed in a position you would like to be in. You literally just type whatever keywords you want (I.e. UPS Captain Embry Riddle Los Angeles) and the search results contain members, who only would be on LinkedIn if they created the profile them self and were interested in networking.

Like this guy:
View attachment 328706View attachment 328707

I heard the army has the most pilots. Guy in army reserve flys helicopters. I guess that counts as fixed wing air time. He wanted to become an airline pilot. Army paid for his eye surgery.

MisplacedRailWorker

I think, not 100%, but think that the UPS pilots all have to be based out of Louisville right? Since the main next-day air hub is based there. Something to think about since that would require living in one city for most of your working life.
Regardless of whether this holds true, in the 21st-century you need to be prepared to move to the work location not the other way around. Like hell I would’ve been able to start a career in transportation in Boca Raton Florida.

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
Listen pal, I need you to join quad dick guy and get *ed with the ADHD * OK? I joined the military with 1 million *ing problems, and I left with 1 million *ing more on top of that… Leave it the * alone. If the kid has trouble focusing, maybe he’s horny or growing up or maybe just “Human“

he needs to be competitive, not alter his mental state. * meds * drugs you answer no on the questionnaire. You can take that to the bank, there’s no polygraph, there’s no bull*, and there’s no job unless you answer no to have you ever used drugs… You currently use drugs… Does that and the third you get it? Enough with the * mother*ing touting of how amazing you are for being an * on the Internet because you probably have undiagnosed bipolar pedophilia desires
Wow, calm down....

ADHD and all the meds for it are a automatic disqualification for even a 3rd class medical let alone a first class. You can get the diagnosis reversed but it's a costly process that requires a HIMS certified psychologist. There are tons of threads about this on pilotsofamerica and other pilot message boards. One of the top doctors that helps pilots with difficult medicals frequents that forum in the medical section. You don't have to believe quad decade or myself go ask him. If the OP has any sort of history of mental health drugs being prescribed he needs to consult one of these doctors before he applies. Once he is denied it's much harder road.

Lying on the medical is horrible advice. For a airline pilot that would be huge fines, all endorsements gone and quite possibly jail time. After being caught the HIMS psychologist may not be able to help because the FAA can deny you based on moral character and they would argue that your deception is proof of not being fit to hold a first class medical.

Anyway,

Quaddecade pissed me off with his nonsense about ups automotive but he is 100 percent right on this. I am not active but I have held a medical in the past, they look at everything and there is a paper trail for those drugs.

Last edited:

quad decade guy

Wow, calm down....

ADHD and all the meds for it are a automatic disqualification for even a 3rd class medical let alone a first class. You can get the diagnosis reversed but it's a costly process that requires a HIMS certified psychologist. There are tons of threads about this on pilotsofamerica and other pilot message boards. One of the top doctors that helps pilots with difficult medicals frequents that forum in the medical section. You don't have to believe quad decade or myself go ask him. If the OP has any sort of history of mental health drugs being prescribed he needs to consult one of these doctors before he applies. Once he is denied it's much harder road.

Lying on the medical is horrible advice. For a airline pilot that would be huge fines, all endorsements gone and quite possibly jail time. After being caught the HIMS psychologist may not be able to help because the FAA can deny you based on moral character and they would argue that your deception is proof of not being fit to hold a first class medical.

Anyway,

Quaddecade pissed me off with his nonsense about ups automotive but he is 100 percent right on this. I am not active but I have held a medical in the past, they look at everything and there is a paper trail for those drugs.
First of all....thanks.

Like almost all of these threads where I am smeared and attacked, it went far, far off the tracks. This guy is very sensitive about ADD. I get it. He will find out about lying....it always catches up with you. And he wants to be an officer.....

I started flying in my early twenties. I have 4 degrees in aviation like Airport Mgt. and Air Cargo Transportation among a few. I've been flying for almost 40 years. I've been immersed in aviation all of my adult life....transportation too. I work for UPS FFS. I get FAA medicals ALL THE TIME. Being older I have a few "issues"......I stay right on top of those....so I can continue to fly.

Anecdotal story: Both my daughter and her husband take the above psycho active script drugs for ADD and anxiety respectively. They are mid/late 20's. I would love to give them access to my plane and teach them to fly.......as you know it's not really possible. The possibility of them being pilots is about zero. A shame too.

Now about automotive.....as angry as this guy got about ADD, you got about automotive. I have been in automotive and have LOT'S of experience in operations(driving). I'm a Certified Aircraft Mechanic(A&P) and pilot. Do I know everything? No. But then my experiences are my own. I just relate them. Does that mean it didn't happen? Well, I can't make you believe it. But then, why would I make it up?

Generally, I'd love to talk aviation or automotive, feeders or just about anything. But 30 seconds after I post, I'm attacked personally.
I will respond and so it goes. I don't have to take it and won't.

There is a lot of hate and anger on this forum. Why? I'm not sure.

What'dyabringmetoday???

First of all....thanks.

Like almost all of these threads where I am smeared and attacked, it went far, far off the tracks. This guy is very sensitive about ADD. I get it. He will find out about lying....it always catches up with you. And he wants to be an officer.....

I started flying in my early twenties. I have 4 degrees in aviation like Airport Mgt. and Air Cargo Transportation among a few. I've been flying for almost 40 years. I've been immersed in aviation all of my adult life....transportation too. I work for UPS FFS. I get FAA medicals ALL THE TIME. Being older I have a few "issues"......I stay right on top of those....so I can continue to fly.

Anecdotal story: Both my daughter and her husband take the above psycho active script drugs for ADD and anxiety respectively. They are mid/late 20's. I would love to give them access to my plane and teach them to fly.......as you know it's not really possible. The possibility of them being pilots is about zero. A shame too.

Now about automotive.....as angry as this guy got about ADD, you got about automotive. I have been in automotive and have LOT'S of experience in operations(driving). I'm a Certified Aircraft Mechanic(A&P) and pilot. Do I know everything? No. But then my experiences are my own. I just relate them. Does that mean it didn't happen? Well, I can't make you believe it. But then, why would I make it up?

Generally, I'd love to talk aviation or automotive, feeders or just about anything. But 30 seconds after I post, I'm attacked personally.
I will respond and so it goes. I don't have to take it and won't.

There is a lot of hate and anger on this forum. Why? I'm not sure.
You could always seek therapy. Maybe that will help.

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
Flying and owning a plane is a rather expensive hobby.

Have you ever heard the expression:
If it flies, floats or *ucks you're better off renting it?

Hope this helps.

Flying is a extremely expensive hobby. If quaddecade flys a lot owning maybe cheaper for him and holding an a&p allows him to work on certified aircraft legally.

Renting a 172 wet is around 100-120 a hour around here the last time I checked. Back when I was flying it was a little cheaper, I was single back then and basically lived as dirt cheap as possible in order to fly. If I started up again I would try to purchase a experimental like a vans rv6 so I could work on it myself, but even then you need to fuel it and store it.