How to become a small sort employee

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Smalls isn't the cake job it used to be pre-2008 after they installed the "NextGen" system; average production went from ~250-300 bagged/hour to ~600-850 bagged/hour. In larger hubs, small sort ends up doing 35%+ of the daily sort volume at a minimum.

Still a helluva lot better than loading or unloading trucks, though. And it's not a bad place to "cool your heels" and reduce the wear and tear on your body while you wait for a FT gig to open up. We actually have a ton of slots opening up on my sort and I can't get outbound guys to sign the bid list.

What's the number one reason why they don't want to move?
"I'm afraid I'll get fat," with "It looks really boring," following as a close second.

Ashley22

Hi everyone! I'm very happy to announce that I'M OFFICIALLY GOING TO SMALL SORT!!! Yay!

Very shortly after posting this, I talked to "B". I don't know his job title but it appears he is the "big boss supervisor" of the entire shift. He supervises the supervisors, I guess. I bumped into him and asked him If I could sign the waiting list. He told me, "we'll get you over here."

This was great news because when I had asked my head unload supervisor about moving, he said it wasn't gonna happen.

My unload supervisor pushed back my start date 3 times, would've been in small sort a month ago if he had remembered what he told me. I didn't bother to correct him, I didn't mind staying in the unload for longer because I felt very fortunate.

To those who think hard work is never rewarded, perhaps here is some hope. I don't think I'm special but I do think they valued my work and they wanted to keep me as an employee.

I'm really happy with UPS right now :) Unfortunately not everyone is lucky enough to get what they want at UPS, so I hope this update isn't super annoying for anyone reading.

Ha IF anyone reads this long post. Sorry for any unnecessary details :)

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
To those who think hard work is never rewarded, perhaps here is some hope. I don't think I'm special but I do think they valued my work and they wanted to keep me as an employee.

In all honesty, you were not put in small sort because of your hard work. Hard work is rewarded with more hard work, not the other way around.

The boss man you talked to probably thought you were in the verge of quitting and he wanted to keep employee retention numbers up. Plus you are a girl.

Nonetheless it's good you have a task that is enjoyable to you.

Ashley22

I can understand why you think hard work is only rewarded with hard work but its not always true, unless you're a pushover?

You won't get what you want in life just by working hard. Just because you deserve it, doesn't mean you'll get it. YOU have to tell them what you want, not expect them to offer you something better because you probably deserve it.

If you choose to work like a dog everyday for no reward, I think that's kind of your fault.

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
You're right. Keep working hard, I hope they reward you with a PT sup position.

The people in small sort fall into these categories: injured, women.

Notcool

They won't move people that are good at their job. Been loading for seven years. Been trying to get off the wall for anything but they wont let me move. If I left my belt it would be a disaster.

DTAHONDA

You're right. Keep working hard, I hope they reward you with a PT sup position.

The people in small sort fall into these categories: injured, women.

I agree with you on the hard work thing. Ive been loading trailers by myself since i switched to local sort. Ive been hitting 500 PPH, And when its really slow im around 360-400.

So busting my ass just got me more work

cynic

I can understand why you think hard work is only rewarded with hard work but its not always true, unless you're a pushover?

You won't get what you want in life just by working hard. Just because you deserve it, doesn't mean you'll get it. YOU have to tell them what you want, not expect them to offer you something better because you probably deserve it.

If you choose to work like a dog everyday for no reward, I think that's kind of your fault.

The tone of your posts remind me of when I was young and full of enthusiasm - for that I'll thank you for the memories and wish you the best. Stay positive.

working up a sweat

With all due respect to small sorters. It is where time stands still. Loading trailers and working up a sweat is more fun. Time flies. We call small sort, the hen house. The biggest complainers work there. They all have to go the rest room every 30 minutes. I call that small sortitus. Put any of the small sort hens and roosters on a belt or loading they are useless and complain.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll

Hard work is never rewarded with desirable work at ups. Everyone in small sort is under 5 ' 7 and/or a woman. My pt supervisor always says bad stuff about this small sort guy to me behind his back whenever the other sups put him temporarily in the unload. My sup would say "look at this idiot, see why we need more people like you". I took it as a compliment :). My sup is right, all the other unloaders besides me are lazy/slackers who really suck at unloading. Last week I had to tell one of the small sort worker that he could just go back in the small sort because he's worthless. That's exactly what I said to him. It took him nearly 30 minutes to load a p 67 (or p 57 I think, the smallest package car), meanwhile I was hammering out P 100 (that's pretty filled up) in 6 and 7 minutes and ripping up trailers in 20 minutes and drenching in sweat while there was not a drop of sweat to be found on the slacker's face.

Loyal Teamster

I'm really happy with UPS right now...
Ah the honeymoon stage.. I remember it so well

Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f6/ups-awesome-350444/index2.html#ixzz2bXuBY8AO

You remind me of young Loyal Teamster & my first Post on this Forum.
http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f6/preloader-seems-faster-i-work-more-work-i-get-350249/

Unfortunately for you, your still in phase one of new hires. give it a few more months & you'll eventually reach the phase 4, which is a UPSer.

browntroll

With all due respect to small sorters. It is where time stands still. Loading trailers and working up a sweat is more fun. Time flies. We call small sort, the hen house. The biggest complainers work there. They all have to go the rest room every 30 minutes. I call that small sortitus. Put any of the small sort hens and roosters on a belt or loading they are useless and complain.
samething happens at my hub, any other sup goes to small sort to cover regular sup thats on vacation and tell us how small sorters find anything to complain about. i know a few ppl that were injured and
were put there but couldnt handle boredom. i have been there and didnt mind since it was a nice day for once to not feel like im sweating too much but i still couldnt understand/handle the complainers so i told my
sups to never put me back there again. but then again everyone has their preference and ppl are allowed to complain if they want.

Ashley22

There are uninjured men that work in small sort everyday in my hub. And I gotta say, many of the unloaders and loaders that come to work in small sort towards the end of the sort, are often the weakest links. They think small sort = slow sort. Their area falls behind and eventually supervisors may compensate with another bagger or they bag themselves

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
They won't move people that are good at their job. Been loading for seven years. Been trying to get off the wall for anything but they wont let me move. If I left my belt it would be a disaster.
Exactly!! If i went to my center manager and said either I go to small sort or quit...I'd hear... go back and load. They'll never let me move me until I can't physically do the job anymore. Been loading 6+ years.....

Catatonic

Nine Lives
There are uninjured men that work in small sort everyday in my hub. And I gotta say, many of the unloaders and loaders that come to work in small sort towards the end of the sort, are often the weakest links. They think small sort = slow sort. Their area falls behind and eventually supervisors may compensate with another bagger or they bag themselves

I 40 years, I never bagged myself.