How To get a New union steward ?

Niceride

If we are not satisfied with the job our union steward is doing what is the correct procedure to getting a new election held ?

We have started a petition were more then 51% of the employess have signed requestion a new election.

What should or can we do?

Thanks,

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz
You can have all the union employees vote to oust the current steward in favor of a new one....Your Union BA will be able to give you more info on that :happy2:

backinbrown

respect my authority
If we are not satisfied with the job our union steward is doing what is the correct procedure to getting a new election held ?

We have started a petition were more then 51% of the employess have signed requestion a new election.

What should or can we do?

Thanks,

If your steward is not doing his job then good for you light a match under his ass he works for you.

what has been going on anyway why the interest

and reporting it to B/A should start things rolling try to be calm and explain things rationally no name calling be polite, express your concerns,
and try to have actual events that make you question your steward

Try to keep personal feelings out of it and stick to the facts maybe they will already have had others complain and replace him put your name in the ring if you feel passionate enough about our issues.

good luck:peaceful:

rebel

Have you asked him if he would like to step down? He may be happy to hand this job over to someone else.

Niceride

we have spoken to the B\A and he says that they are there till the end of the contract. doen't matter that we have the 51%. The B\A help put this person in place and doesn't want them removed.. He is fighting us...

backinbrown

respect my authority
we have spoken to the BA and he says that they are there till the end of the contract. doen't matter that we have the 51%. The BA help put this person in place and doesn't want them removed.. He is fighting us...

Tell us what you are un-happy with

what is steward doing or not doing

jimstud

Banned
that is bs you have the right to remove your steward as long as you have the 51%.you should go over the ba's head to the president of your local

Niceride

our steward like to run their mouth and tell everone business thats going on. If your
called into the office everyone knows why by the end of the day...If I want you to know my business I'll tell you....

Our stewards not up on the new contract...letting mangement get away with a lot of stuff the should not be. example " working supensions" what I mean they suspend you for 3 days...but make you work becasues they have no else to fill your position ( this happen on our preload).

705red

Browncafe Steward
I suggest that you document everything that upsets you with your steward. Daily! Keep a running log, and everytime he says something write it down. The more evidence you have the better.

However, is he siding with management over you and your fellow coworkers? Or has he told you something that you dd not like to hear? I have people that do not like me, because i have to tell them its not a grievance or they cant work before start time.

If your agent is not helping you go above him. Bring your log and show the sec/treas or teh president whats going on. Im sure they will address it, if not vote them all out!

backinbrown

respect my authority
"because i have to tell them its not a grievance or they cant work before start time."

Red there seems to be a lot of this, if you tell them to get off truck they think union is hassling them when in reality that is not it at all. and not everything is greivable

rebel

How long has he been a steward? How long have you been employed and what is your position? I would have to have a lot more info before I would agree on voting a steward out especially since your BA is not in agreement.

705red

Browncafe Steward
"because i have to tell them its not a grievance or they cant work before start time."

Red there seems to be a lot of this, if you tell them to get off truck they think union is hassling them when in reality that is not it at all. and not everything is greivable
Back i never tell anyone to get out of the truck, the ptimers come and tell me and i go right to management, if they dont act right away i file on it. Ptimers are starting later and later and getting their hours cut, and we havepackage drivers that want to work for free?????!!!!

backinbrown

respect my authority
Back i never tell anyone to get out of the truck, the ptimers come and tell me and i go right to management, if they dont act right away i file on it. Ptimers are starting later and later and getting their hours cut, and we havepackage drivers that want to work for free?????!!!!

we greived it they had to pay the driver for being on car before start time

now they look for it and driver wont do it again i hope

JonFrum

The IBT Constitution allows Locals to decide if they want stewards elected by the members or appointed by the Principal Officer. Check your Local By-Laws to see which method your Local uses. Either way, ask your Principal Officer what the proceedure is for getting a new steward. Maybe it's in the By-laws, maybe it's written down somewhere else. Find someone who has been around long enough to know how it was done in the past.

If you don't have elected stewards, you can change the By-Laws by submitting a motion at a January monthly meeting, that will be voted on in March.

Red Dawn

step up and become one...we have a lot of stewards..we have one that should have a M on his badge...i tell all my friends to not use him. You can request another.

gandydancer

we have spoken to the BA and he says that they are there till the end of the contract. doen't matter that we have the 51%. The BA help put this person in place and doesn't want them removed.. He is fighting us...

Sucks. Get your bylaws. Sounds like you need a new BA, too, if you've got 51% already and are getting the brushoff. How much have you got at stake?