How to run scratch

DS

Fenderbender
I have found that although I can't equal upstate's 2 hours under,I have some tips to increase your planned day.
1-save deliveries that you have pickups at
2-enter all special counts into the diad,overweights etc
3- get out of the building as fast as you can,it looks like hell,but ignore it till you get your 10:30 commits off
4-don't take shortcuts after this,mileage is the major factor in time allowance
5-whenever possible,get a signature.Every signature you get gives you about 1 minute time allowance.
If you have 100 stops,and you get signatures for half of them,it adds 50 minutes to your planned day.
6-document everything you do in the diad,meet points,late air,time lost etc
7-Take a few minutes to sort after you get your commits off ,sort bulk to the back,and smalls in order.
8-Be aggressive yet friendly,let them know you are on a tight schedule
9-When possible correlate your breaks close to your next stop.
!0-enter leave and return to building times accurately

brown bomber

brown bomber
get serious...I did over half of those suggestions........the result was that a planned 9.5 hr. day turned into a 8.25 hr. day....therefore I went from a scratch driver to one that was over 1 hr. late.......the route didn't change, never got an explanation...........so happy I'm now retitred

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have found that although I can't equal upstate's 2 hours under,I have some tips to increase your planned day.

2 hours under is not the norm--I am usually closer to .75 - 1.00 under.

This will piss off those customers who are used to a morning delivery as they turn them around and send them out in the afternoon.

This would help but I never do this.

3- get out of the building as fast as you can,it looks like hell,but ignore it till you get your 10:30 commits off

I rarely if ever sort during the day.

This is poor advice, especially with Telematics.

5-whenever possible,get a signature.Every signature you get gives you about 1 minute time allowance.

This is also poor advice. Do the job following the methods. The only residential signatures I get are the ones the shippers pay for.

If you have 100 stops,and you get signatures for half of them,it adds 50 minutes to your planned day.

Just do the job the way you are supposed to.

This is good advice although there is no way to document any of these things in the DIAD.

7-Take a few minutes to sort after you get your commits off ,sort bulk to the back,and smalls in order.

This is a waste of time.

It is possible to chat while delivering and maintaining a sense of urgency.

I assume you mean restroom breaks---I try to schedule these when I am at a stop with a public restroom but as I get older I find it is not always that easy.

Well...duh.

DS, if you put as much effort in to your job as you put in to this list you would have no problem running scratch.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It is not that hard to run scratch, follow the methods and have clean Telematics reports.

We have a couple of drivers who are regularly an hour or more over and both have been described as "chatty Cathys"--too much customer contact.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

2 hours under is not the norm--I am usually closer to .75 - 1.00 under.

This will piss off those customers who are used to a morning delivery as they turn them around and send them out in the afternoon.

This would help but I never do this.

I rarely if ever sort during the day.

This is poor advice, especially with Telematics.

This is also poor advice. Do the job following the methods. The only residential signatures I get are the ones the shippers pay for.
This is not any good any more either. We have to get signatures for any high end commodity such as electronics even if the shipper doesn't require it.

Just do the job the way you are supposed to.

This is good advice although there is no way to document any of these things in the DIAD.

This is a waste of time.

It is possible to chat while delivering and maintaining a sense of urgency.

I assume you mean restroom breaks---I try to schedule these when I am at a stop with a public restroom but as I get older I find it is not always that easy.

Well...duh.

DS, if you put as much effort in to your job as you put in to this list you would have no problem running scratch.
Not to mention apts, yada yada yada!

Borderline 9.5

It is not that hard to run scratch, follow the methods and have clean Telematics reports.

We have a couple of drivers who are regularly an hour or more over and both have been described as "chatty Cathys"--too much customer contact.

May I ask what a clean telematics report has to do with running scratch?

gman042

Been around the block a few times
You get 3 minutes for an address correction in the DIAD. Just think of the time made when you have a bulk stop of mis-addressed packages. 10 packages equals 30 minutes minus the 5 to actually make the corrections. Do it every chance you get.

yeldarb

You get 3 minutes for an address correction in the DIAD. Just think of the time made when you have a bulk stop of mis-addressed packages. 10 packages equals 30 minutes minus the 5 to actually make the corrections. Do it every chance you get.

Not true...I had a bulk car of 300 boxes of microwaveable popcorn for a company which was supposed to be addressed to 9602, but instead was 9206. I ran over that day.

yeldarb

If I am waiting at a dock for the door to open, I will sort my car while I am waiting....I usually get half my truck sorted perfect before I start my resis.

DS

Fenderbender
If I am waiting at a dock for the door to open, I will sort my car while I am waiting....I usually get half my truck sorted perfect before I start my resis.
Thanks Darb,my truck is seldom in order,it's a big time saver and not a waste of time

yeldarb

It drives me nuts when I am dispatched to go help someone at 4 oclock, and their truck still looks like crap and they are stepping over things, and they cant even find all the packages that they are going to give to me because they are so unorganized. No wonder they are struggling and need help...