how to sheet up hard to find stops?

tourists24

was just curious how everyone sheets up packages to good addresses that you cannot locate (ie one driveway, 8 mailboxes...lol)... we used to have a "need directions" choice, but now that choice has been taken away.

Some drivers will put in NS#, but then get in trouble when ECES checks and it comes back as good address....

paidslave

was just curious how everyone sheets up packages to good addresses that you cannot locate (ie one driveway, 8 mailboxes...lol)... we used to have a "need directions" choice, but now that choice has been taken away.

Some drivers will put in NS#, but then get in trouble when ECES checks and it comes back as good address....

Put other non delivery: edd/GPS doesn't help out the driver just the bottom line folks!

just kidding.....With these address you are screwed everywitch freakin way. especially if you have a pshyco boss....You will have integridy issues raised if you can't find them...Put in the board MISSED package! Be honest!

Typical manger response, "whats the problem the other driver can find it"! Get real.....

my2cents!

rocket man

Call center tell them they will tell you n s adress give to clerk you will have directions in your crosby cross put need directions on diad n s number

old brown shoe

30 year driver
NS address if they don't have it clearly marked and there is more than one house or your not sure if it is correct. Better than leaving it at the wrong place and getting a follow up on a package customer did not get.

Hangingon

When I used to cover drive, I was lucky. All the addresses that I couldn't find but I knew were good addresses turned out to be rewraps and turned up on the car in time for the regular driver to deliver it.

I record it as NSN, put need directions on the package. When the sup asks me why I put it as NSN, I tell them that because they won't let me be honest by taking away the ND repsonse from the diad, I have to put something on there. Good address or not, I still don't know where it is. The funny thing is, as a swing driver, I probably spend more time trying to find an address than the sup would if he were driving that day. You can never do enough to make 'em happy.

over9five

Staff member
I agree with "missed". Anything else is unethical.

Remember, every package is instantly trackable by the customer. If you put nsn, and the customer tracks it, they will see that we are idiots.

browniehound

What I do is go to the most likely house that it can be. Ring the bell. If they answer I ask if this is such and such and address. If its not, they can usually point me to the correct house.

If they are not home I leave an infonotice and check the "Sign to have packages delivered box" . I sheet the package as NI1. (If they can't clearly mark their house as 12 Maple street, then we shouldn't have to eat the cost of shipping) When I return the next day and the infonotice is signed with the name matching the package, I leave the package.

I alwayswrite on the infonotice "Can't leave package because your house has no number on it and I have no way to be sure the right person is recieveing the package" Hoping that they will put some numbers on their house in the future

Then you must not have delivered a rural route are where people don't put addresses on their houses or the mail boxes. Putting need directions on the package is indeed ethical, however the ever so ethical UP$ doesn't allow that anymore. NSN, while not totally true maybe, gets the package in the system as close as any of the other choices UPS allows.
Remember, every package is instantly trackable by the customer. If you put nsn, and the customer tracks it, they will see that we are idiots.
When you go a mile or more on a dirt road with half a dozen houses, none with addresses, why is it being an idiot to not be able to find the correct house?
Then who is the idiot that doesn't put the address where it can be seen from the road and assume that everyone that works for UP$ knows where they live?

What I do is go to the most likely house that it can be. Ring the bell. If they answer I ask if this is such and such and address. If its not, they can usually point me to the correct house.
I do this too, when possible and feasible.

If they are not home I leave an infonotice and check the "Sign to have packages delivered box" . I sheet the package as NI1. (If they can't clearly mark their house as 12 Maple street, then we shouldn't have to eat the cost of shipping) When I return the next day and the infonotice is signed with the name matching the package, I leave the package.

I've even done this, 90% of the time, the notice is gone and still no idea where the correct house is.

I alwayswrite on the infonotice "Can't leave package because your house has no number on it and I have no way to be sure the right person is recieveing the package" Hoping that they will put some numbers on their house in the future

Has this ever helped?
OK, I've never written that sentence on an infonotice.

browniehound

trplnkl,
No, writting that on an infonotice has never gotten results, LOL. But it at least explains why I didn't leave the package and that we are not the US postal service, who delivers to every house every day.

Over9five said we should sheet the package as missed. If you make the effort to ring a doobell in area with no house numbers, then I think it should be sheeted as "NI1".

How difficult is it to write the number on a piece of paper and tape it to your window? I guess most people assume we can know their address from the addreses before and after it. Problem is, very rarely do the numbers run uniformly on a given street. In a perfect world the odd side would start at 1 and end at 127 with each house two numbers greater than the last.

After working at UPS for so long, I know this rarely happens and we can't assume the number on any house. Once you think the houses increase by 2, the next house jumps up 6 numbers.

People who are not in the delivery don't know this and just assume we can find their house based on their "non lazy" neihbors putting number on their house.

That's the honest truth BH. I have been known to suggest to folks that it would help, not only UPS drivers but EMS and Fire DPT find them. Rarely any help either.
With the implementation of the 911 addressing system, it has helped immensely but there are still many that just won't put the numbers up.
I live in the country, my house number is in three places as well as my name on the mailbox that is directly in front of my house.

The Brown Santa

Ping Pong Ball
I usually play detective and knock on a few doors. If that doesn't work...NSN. And then I write on the package "Please put some numbers on your house". If the customers complains, I ask them kindly to go to Wal Mart and pay the $.97 for some numbers to put ON THE HOUSE!

The Brown Santa

Ping Pong Ball
trplnkl,
Problem is, very rarely do the numbers run uniformly on a given street. In a perfect world the odd side would start at 1 and end at 127 with each house two numbers greater than the last.

After working at UPS for so long, I know this rarely happens and we can't assume the number on any house. Once you think the houses increase by 2, the next house jumps up 6 numbers.

Agreed, on one route that I cover, the houses jump from 1, 5, 37, 45, 57, 61.... I just know them all by the last name now...

barnyard

KTM rider
I usually play detective and knock on a few doors. If that doesn't work...NSN. And then I write on the package "Please put some numbers on your house". If the customers complains, I ask them kindly to go to Wal Mart and pay the $.97 for some numbers to put ON THE HOUSE!

That's what I do, except I do, NI1. I have suggested to people that if someone at their house were to have a heart attack, they could die while the ambulance was looking for the correct house.

I have 2 places on the route that I am on now that I had been guessing incorrectly for over 6 months. The owner of 1 of them confronted me while I was on the metro.
Him: where is 14412-133rd St
Me: last place on 133rd or the left.
Him: Why don't you leave them there?
me: I do.
Him: no you don't, that's my neighbors shop you are leaving them at, mine is the quonset hut with the 2 dogs chained to it.
me: you mean the 2 guard dogs that won't let anyone by them.
Him: They're harmless.
me: I've heard that tune before, everytime I got bit. Maybe you want to put the numbers on your building and tie your dogs on shorter chains. And if you are seeing me put the package at the wrong spot, how about saying something when I am there or walking past the dogs so I don't get bit.
Him: the dogs don't bite. Do I need to call UPS???
me: yep.

I never heard anything about it, so I doubt he called.....

The other one, the neighbor took them to the correct house and they all put numbers on their houses after about 4 months (driveway with 6 houses, but the numbers are all at the end of the driveway.)

TB

Griff

If the person doesn't have their house clearly marked it's pretty obvious that the only option is to sheet it as NSN. You belong in management if you think the words unethical, integrity, honesty even belong in this conversation. The only way management has any case of those things is if you constantly bring back the same ones or just generally bring back tons of NSN's on a route you know. Missed isn't the correct way to sheet it because an attempt was made, you tried to find the place and you could not. This is why we have QC clerks, let them do their job and tell the people to mark their house or give directions.

"they will see that we are idiots." -- Honestly, how hard is it to clearly mark your house with numbers and we are the idiots here?

browniehound

I've posted this before, but I believe its worth mentioning again. On one of my first routes I had a small quiet street with about 10 houses on it. The house numbers went 10, 8, 4, and 2. 2 is a corner house facing another street that I thought had an address on that street. Anyway, number 4 had no number and I thought it was the last house on the street, so I thought it was number 2.

So the owner of number 4 had the audacity to come out and say " I know I don't have a number on my house, but why do you keep leaving packages for number 2 at my house?"

My first thought is"Is this person mentally retarded?" I say this because if I was curious to the fact that I was recieving misdeliveries, I would have to think the obvious thing would be that I have NO ADDRESS NUMBERS on my house??????.

I know I wouldn't confront a UPS driver asking him this question when my own residence is not clearly marked as 4 Maple St, when it could easily be confused with 2 Maple St. because I have no numbers on my house!

rod

Retired 22 years
One thing I learned early on in my 30 at UPS- SOME PEOPLE JUST DON"T WANT TO BE FOUND. Unless it there box of weed coming from California. :happy2: I had many long driveways with a dozen houses hidden at the end . I would try a couple of houses but if no one had heard of the party I was looking for I had no problem taking it back at night for further directions Apparently the old CL 1 and send a postcard for direction don't work anymore. Too bad.

old brown shoe

30 year driver
Not sure what the laws are in other states but here it is a law the you are suppose to have your house marked so emergency services can find you in case of fire or a need for police or ambulance. I tell my customers that and many have put up numbers. So if they complain that they did not get their package the first day it was out for delivery. I will tell them to plan on it happening again especially if I'm not on my route. I do know most of my customers so it is not much of a problem until a cover driver is on it.