how to stop ups from all the bad they do

DSM515

no way man, this is our fight. were not on the playground. none of us are entitled or forced to work for UPS, the company would spin it to make look like a bunch of cry babys. i agree with you on how they treat us is like crap but it would be better to put the heat on the international, we pay them not the public.

purplesky

Wouldn't the easiest way to 'beat' UPS is to not work for them? Not all places at UPS are as bad as you make it seem, and if you think UPS is the exception to the rule, you are delirious. UPS is just becoming part of the norm. Your call to arms isn't going to be telling anyone anything they don't already know.

You need to change America before you worry about UPS.

If you invest years in a company you should have every right to stay and improve the culture. UPS culture has always treated UPSERS like crap. THIS UPS HARASSMENT CULTURE IS NOTHING NEW. UPSERS have always been told they make too much money and that they need to do more work.

The avg. worker in America wouldnt last a week in package car.:wink2:

purplesky

Supposedly the issue of harassment is at the top of the list for this next contract. It sure needs to be because working for UPS has become a sick joke.

ocnewguy

As mentioned previously, you have to think of public perception. Unions are looked at with more disdain every day in this country. The economy hasn't helped either. You really think that saying what will be perceived as "my boss is mean he yells at me and calls me names!" while making $32/hr with free benefits and pension will gain ANY public backing? No. Snowball, hell etc.

AZBrown

Teamster by choice
AZBrown,

I agree employees should be more informed of their rights.

Rights above and beyond contract rights in a union shop.

What do you propose can be done to better inform employees?

Any ideas?

Sincerely,
I
I have a few
First and foremost, I think it should be incumbent upon stewards to welcome new members to the flock, and inform them the benefits of the union, and what individuals can do to educate themselves and empower the workforce. Knowledge is power...An informed employee is a dangerous employee. Case in point--How many times have you been lied to in a disciplinary meeting.
Other ideas I wouldn't discuss on this site for liability reasons.
It's not top secret stuff, but there are many types of UPS employees on this website, and with the whole free speech thing and all, I think the owner of this site has had to deal with some BS from UPS from time to time.

happyboy

I agree they treat us bad and the public has know idea, i'd like to see the union try to Embarrass the company in the media and put some teeth behind the contract language, hey $32 per hour isn't that great of pay for the crap we put up with.

stink219

hey $32 per hour isn't that great of pay for the crap we put up with.

Try telling that to the millions of non-union people that think they work harder for $10/hour.
I agree. And until they can step on the truck for a day, they can never appreciate it. I've worked a lot of jobs before UPS. Construction, jewelry polishing plant, super market, finance, self employed and UPS was by far the most difficult overall. The combination of physicality, mental concentration, management related stress, makes it very difficult. The person that said that we couldn't do Scott Davis job might be partially true. But I guarantee that he would never step foot on a real route. UPS would never be on "undercover boss". Even if they did, they would be fluffed.

packageguy

the company is doing what ever they want to do. harassment, making drivers skip lunch, treating us like poop. filing a grievance that does not get results. walking out members for minor things. disrespecting grown men and women. talking down. well its time to let the public know. since we nor the union has been able to do anything to stop them, i think the media should be involved. contacting all newspaper, large and small. even local ones. tv channels. help me howard, 7 on your side, geraldo etc. let them know what really goes on at ups. also shame on you. bad publicity is the only way to beat ups

there is a process, If you are harassed file a grievance, There is also HR, Then there is corporate, pick one. We are grown men and women. Stop complaining and take action...

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
We dont need to tell the media. We are all big boys and girls. We can use our union rights, against harrassment, over 9.5, and anything else. Remember how much sympathy we got from our strike in 97/ zero. And back then we werent making 32 bucks an hour, so you think we would get more now?
Think about a guy making ten bucks an hour, who would love to be abused for 32. Abuse the heck out of me he would say.
There is no way anyone knows what we do, or how hard it is, without doing it. Most people think we drive around all day and deliver a few pd pkg from QVC. Or wait for a call to go pick up a pkg, and it isnt taped labeled etc. That pkg to that person is oh so important. They do not realize we have 300+ of them.
Just stand your ground, use your union, and if that dont work, keep trying. You do not have to put up with abuse. Of course filing will get you more, so be it. Just do it. You pay 70+ a month for that protection.

ocnewguy

We dont need to tell the media. We are all big boys and girls. We can use our union rights, against harrassment, over 9.5, and anything else. Remember how much sympathy we got from our strike in 97/ zero. And back then we werent making 32 bucks an hour, so you think we would get more now?
Think about a guy making ten bucks an hour, who would love to be abused for 32. Abuse the heck out of me he would say.
There is no way anyone knows what we do, or how hard it is, without doing it. Most people think we drive around all day and deliver a few pd pkg from QVC. Or wait for a call to go pick up a pkg, and it isnt taped labeled etc. That pkg to that person is oh so important. They do not realize we have 300+ of them.
Just stand your ground, use your union, and if that dont work, keep trying. You do not have to put up with abuse. Of course filing will get you more, so be it. Just do it. You pay 70+ a month for that protection.

Agreed. As I've said before a strike would devastatingly bad for PR. NO ONE will have sympathy for the drivers and what they make just because "their boss is mean to them"

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
And actually our boss isnt mean, they are just following direction, as we are, but we have a backing they dont. So when it gets ridiculous we have to call it on paper. Problenm is we all complain but are getting used to those 1200 dollar take homes. minus our 401k contributions.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
And actually our boss isnt mean, they are just following direction, as we are, but we have a backing they dont. So when it gets ridiculous we have to call it on paper. Problenm is we all complain but are getting used to those 1200 dollar take homes. minus our 401k contributions.

but are getting used to those 1200 dollar take homes.minus our 401k contributions.

and its getting harder for me to get you to come home when you are not dispatched with enough work.

basically we/you are at the point you cannot afford to come home...

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
but are getting used to those 1200 dollar take homes.minus our 401k contributions.

and its getting harder for me to get you to come home when you are not dispatched with enough work.

basically we/you are at the point you cannot afford to come home...
Yet swing drivers in my hub hide between belts to avoid being seen by a FT that wants to go home. The people you are describing are the ones that submitted to the long hours and now have designed their lives around it. These people are the exception to the rule, not the majority.

Yet swing drivers in my hub hide between belts to avoid being seen by a FT that wants to go home. The people you are describing are the ones that submitted to the long hours and now have designed their lives around it. These people are the exception to the rule, not the majority.
Hey give me a good dispatch and I will punchout on time!!Screw that 8:30 9:00 P.M. crap If you cant live on 75-80K a year you are living too large!!!