how was your day?

over9five

Staff member
"One of the biggest pissoffs a ups driver has to deal with."

Not really! I use that dup stop every chance I get. It's what the boss wants. (i guess...). I'm sure I over-use it. Who cares?!!! I'm an hourly employee!

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
Four straight days of being over 9.5. I would file a grievance if we weren't shorthanded. Only two extra people and they are both driving. Supervisor even came down to help out the last few days. Christmas ain't looking so good this year.

Dirty Savage

Paranoid Android
Hooray for thread necromancy!

5 a.m. the alarm goes off. I feel as though I'd slept for 13 minutes
5:40 a.m. stumble outside into a frozen car. Listen to Outkast while it warms up
6 a.m. punch in
9:15 a.m. my last stop is loaded into my p5. I have 80 stops. My mind reels as I consider the lunchtime possibilities
9:16 a.m. out of the corner of my eye I see what appears to be another trailer - our 4th - backing up to the door.
9:17 a.m the trailer is opened to reveal its filled to capacity!
10 a.m. leave the building in a blown-out p5. Have no idea how many stops I have. Had packages in my cab.
10:25 a.m. finally complete my first stop of the day
10:31 a.m. my first late air of the day
3:30 p.m find out our one and only night sort person has quit.
4 p.m. come to the realization that I will have missed packages.
6 p.m. deliver my last stop of the day. It was a SAVER!
6:15 p.m. truck is parked
6:40 p.m. punch out

12 hours, 40 minutes. Code 5 (obviously). 102 deliveries, 8 pickups. 12 late air and at least that many missed packages.

Good times

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Get home 9pm.
Drove home in a hellatious white out, but not too much snow, just had to fall on my way home.
Avoided the bambis, since I already totalled one truck, before hunting season.
Get home see one of my trees has fallen across the road. From the wind. Pretend I didnt see it.
Decide to laughingly mention it to my husband, we own 3 chain saws, but I aint into it tonite......
Instead we sit and watch for people trying to get by it, so far one, about 5 foot 95 pd female is the only one, and shes going to try to move it. She gives up and drives over and through it......could have backed up and went up the other road which would have taken her 1/16 of a mile outta her way, but no.
Waiting for the county to come and tell me to move it, but last summer they told me they own 25 ft from the middle of the road, so its their tree!!!!! I planted trees too close to the road, I had to move them.... and I have the letter!!!! Actually I didnt move them, and never heard any more......
They can move it!!!
Other than that just the usual, its the extras that make life grande!!

satellitedriver

Lightest day I have had in three years.
Spooky.
Clear blue skies and 63 degrees.
Double spooky for this time of year.
I got a summons for jury duty in the mail for DEC. 18th.
Triple spooky.
Got home before my wife did.
Very strange and different day.
Sorry to hear about all the crappy weather many are having to deal with.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Satellite.....hubby is in jury duty right now and scheduled to go 'til Jan 11th.....with Christmas week off. It feels like he's back to work again only the hours are shorter....8:30 - 4:30.

rod

Retired 22 years
It didn't take me long to figure out that the jury room of the courthouse is a lot warmer in January than my package car. I loved all 3 times I was called up for jury duty. 1st time UPS let me keep all jury pay but the last 2 times they wanted my daily jury wages but let me keep milage. I even made it a point to go to the Clerk of Courts office and tell them anytime they needed a juror to call me. They couldn't believe it. Most people try everyway they can think of to get out of it..

rushfan

I shifted today for preload. It was fun to see the drivers faces when they found out how much volume was in and around their package cars.

The Brown Santa

Ping Pong Ball
So far this week....
Monday 197 stops, 225 pieces, 131 miles (did 177 stops)
Tuesday 200 stops, 241 pieces, 140 miles (did 181 stops)
Wednesday 200 stops 235 pieces, 130 miles (did 181 stops)

Loaded like an absolute garbage truck...worst preloader in the history of UPS..... 8000 section in the 1000 section bulk stops on the floor AND in the 5000 section etc etc... No need to stress tho...loving the paycheck...

I love being crammed in an 800 :biting:

Was told as long as I'm in before 10 (hrs not pm) it's okay. I start at 0850.....

brownrecluse

Hooray for thread necromancy!

5 a.m. the alarm goes off. I feel as though I'd slept for 13 minutes
5:40 a.m. stumble outside into a frozen car. Listen to Outkast while it warms up
6 a.m. punch in
9:15 a.m. my last stop is loaded into my p5. I have 80 stops. My mind reels as I consider the lunchtime possibilities
9:16 a.m. out of the corner of my eye I see what appears to be another trailer - our 4th - backing up to the door.
9:17 a.m the trailer is opened to reveal its filled to capacity!
10 a.m. leave the building in a blown-out p5. Have no idea how many stops I have. Had packages in my cab.
10:25 a.m. finally complete my first stop of the day
10:31 a.m. my first late air of the day
3:30 p.m find out our one and only night sort person has quit.
4 p.m. come to the realization that I will have missed packages.
6 p.m. deliver my last stop of the day. It was a SAVER!
6:15 p.m. truck is parked
6:40 p.m. punch out

12 hours, 40 minutes. Code 5 (obviously). 102 deliveries, 8 pickups. 12 late air and at least that many missed packages.

Good times

Please forgive the rookie question... what does "Code 5" mean?

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
you get paid for hours worked so if you left early no lunch or work all day no lunch you get paid for what ever hrs put in

Dirty Savage

Paranoid Android
Freezing rain slowed the ground freight right down and also grounded the UPS planes in another city. Didn't get my air until noon. Then another plane landed late in the day and I was handed 18 more stops at 3:30. My pickups were all at dumb commit times and I had to keep breaking trace to do them. I delivered a package to a bedridden and horribly - and I mean HORRIBLY - obese man who insisted I come in to his apartment to hand deliver the package. And let me tell you this gentleman's smell was . . . I don't even know how to describe it! It was so rancid that it got into my clothes and my pores and I think it even infected my soul to be quite honest.

In the end though, sadly, 17 missed packages. 5 more than yesterday.

It's snowballing!!!

DS

Fenderbender
I was an hour late for work today but it didn't matter.Lots of blowing snow and bumper to bumper traffic for 2 1/2 hrs.
Everyone was still sorting and loading the last of the late air shuttle.
On area 10:33AM no commits...delivered an intl' express at 6:20 PM
76 del 30 pu..punched in 9:45 out 8:30 code 05.No missed.Yet.

Dirty Savage

Paranoid Android
100 del, 8 pickups. Not sure of my piece count because I don't check that statistic. Clocked in at 6:30, clocked out at 6:27. Code 5 all the way, but no missed and no late air!