How would you redesign the UPS package scanner?

barnyard

KTM rider
When something new comes out, there will always be those who like it and those who don't.

I would certainly agree with that. I would be will to be that since we got the Diad V we have delivered to room 3 more than the rest of UPS' combined history.

p228

I am probably going with some sort of body-mounted device and am leaning towards a light-weight, touchscreen, fore-arm mounted scanner. I am also considering integrating an RFID scanner to scan multiple boxes at once without the need for direct line-of-sight with all labels.

Liberty Mutual says no dice on forearm mounting.

How many times can it be dropped/tossed/scratched/rained on/gashed/sweat soaked before the screened stops working?

STFXG

Could I update my fantasy football roster on your new touchscreen?

Btw forearm mounted would be incredibly uncomfortable for a 12 hour day...

rkctkc

I believe the buttons on the sides are a complete waste. I have never used these except on accident. left handed people always hit that signature button while they are signing. Touch screen is non responsive at times. Before I went to using the yellow button 5-6 combo for Dr, it seemed like atleast half of my Dr stops had a 6 in the remarks because it didn't register the deliver touch screen button.

BMWMC

B.C. boohoo buster.
X-Ray scanner for those sweet thangs in nighties that "I" absolutely require a signature for delivery and make the whole DIAD out of :censored2:'N rubber while your at it so I can catch it on the bounce when I *cough* accidentally drop it.

149558image7019561.jpg
149558image7019561.jpg

gammonjw

I'm calling BS on they scan the bullseye. Detach the stylus again! Ditch those straps. Shrink it again. Somewhere between the V & a smartphone. All & all, I like the V though. I just started driving in late March of '13. Had the IV 'til the middle of May. What a bulky SOB! I don't think I could've efficiently done my job all the time w/ that thing. I was really struggling w/ it during my qualification period before the switch over. Def. glad it's not the flat iron skillet the 1 was back on the day!

JL 0513

I'm calling BS on they scan the bullseye. Detach the stylus again! Ditch those straps. Shrink it again. Somewhere between the V & a smartphone. All & all, I like the V though. I just started driving in late March of '13. Had the IV 'til the middle of May. What a bulky SOB! I don't think I could've efficiently done my job all the time w/ that thing. I was really struggling w/ it during my qualification period before the switch over. Def. glad it's not the flat iron skillet the 1 was back on the day!

Similar situation for me. Trained on the IV in April and what an archaic giant POS that was. Made learning the job way harder fumbling around with that thing while rushing with my hands full. The DIAD V finally allowed one hand operation. A huge benefit to a job when you're simultaneously carrying a package.

There's still shortcomings. In an age of advanced smartphones, the $6,800 DIAD V still seems old fashioned. It's still bulkier and heavier than it needs to be. Although some of that bulk I understand is for shock absorption. Notice that it can take pretty rough falls and be just fine. I would like to see a much faster typing/texting interface like a smartphone. It takes too long to send a text to the center. And where's the punctuation options? I'm usually asking the center a question when I do text, yet there's no question mark.

I think if the DIAD was a full touch device (eliminate most physical buttons) just as most smartphones eliminated physical keyboards, it would become a faster interface. I would keep just a few physical buttons. The scan button, stop complete button, and arrow up/down buttons. The screen would become twice the size without increasing the over size of the unit. This would allow you to see maybe the next 16 stops instead of 8 at one time.