How's the view???........

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If that is a driveway, I would dr the package right behind that tree on the left. Would even bag it for them since it's summertime. That tree branch is the landowners problem.
If the driveway is 3/4 of a mile long and its dark and the tree is lying between you and the only place to turn the truck around, its YOUR problem. Thats one of the reasons I keep a tow rope in my truck, it can be handy for dragging obstacles out of the way.

oldngray

nowhere special
If the driveway is 3/4 of a mile long and its dark and the tree is lying between you and the only place to turn the truck around, its YOUR problem. Thats one of the reasons I keep a tow rope in my truck, it can be handy for dragging obstacles out of the way.

Plus for when you get stuck yourself of course.

32F driver

No,it's not My problem. If the homeowner wants their package(s) dr'd at their front door, then they are required to provide access. I'm not going to scratch the package car trying to go around. I'm also not going to drive through their grass. Like I said, dr right there, & carry on. Not wasting time to tow the branch aside.

oldngray

nowhere special
I don't know about miles. Most are just going to the next field down the road.

Some farmers have fields miles apart. They will lease land several miles away from the rest of their farm. Or sometimes they might be heading over to work at someone else's farm. However long it takes it still feels like forever when you are creeping along at 20 mph.

soberups

No,it's not My problem. If the homeowner wants their package(s) dr'd at their front door, then they are required to provide access. I'm not going to scratch the package car trying to go around. I'm also not going to drive through their grass. Like I said, dr right there, & carry on. Not wasting time to tow the branch aside.

I had a tree come down behind me on a driveway one night during a storm, it took out the phone and power line on the way down and left me trapped on the customers property. The only way out was thru the tree, and the only one at home was the customers wife, so she let me use their chain saw to cut thru the tree so I could leave. Took me about 20 minutes to get out of there; I limbed it to gain access to the trunk and then made 2 cuts thru the trunk so that I could get a rope around it and pull it out of the way. I got soakng wet and covererd with sawdust and tree sap. Not fun but I didnt really have any other choice.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I had a tree come down behind me on a driveway one night during a storm, it took out the phone and power line on the way down and left me trapped on the customers property. The only way out was thru the tree, and the only one at home was the customers wife, so she let me use their chain saw to cut thru the tree so I could leave. Took me about 20 minutes to get out of there; I limbed it to gain access to the trunk and then made 2 cuts thru the trunk so that I could get a rope around it and pull it out of the way. I got soakng wet and covererd with sawdust and tree sap. Not fun but I didnt really have any other choice.
I'm not trying to be an a*****e...just being curious. What do you think ups would have said had you injured yourself while cutting up or moving the tree while on company time?

soberups

Did you try calling AAA?

Resident know-it-all.

No, the tree took the phone line out and I am not a AAA member. Even if I could have called them, they dont deal with downed trees or UPS vehicles. The only way out was thru the tree and since the customers wife did not know how to use her husbands chain saw there was really no other option.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

No, the tree took the phone line out and I am not a AAA member. Even if I could have called them, they dont deal with downed trees or UPS vehicles. The only way out was thru the tree and since the customers wife did not know how to use her husbands chain saw there was really no other option.

I was being a smart ass.

Resident know-it-all.

soberups

I'm not trying to be an a*****e...just being curious. What do you think ups would have said had you injured yourself while cutting up or moving the tree while on company time?
Thats a good question and I really dont know the answer.

Bear in mind, this happened before cell phones or DIAD communication with the center. Back then you were kind of on your own when it came to making decisions. What I did know at the time was that I didnt want to spend the night out there and I didnt know how far I would have to walk to find a working phone, so cutting thru the tree and finishing the route was the decision that I felt was in the company's best interests.

32F driver

Well, if it falls behind you, leaving you trapped, you have no choice. Good thing she was home to give you a chainsaw. I'm saying, I'm not gonna do tree work to get TO the delivery point.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
received_m_mid_1406058028773_2ca3c942bb52935308_0.jpeg