Hub is pushing misload problem. Help

J

jibbs

Until MY skin thickens? You’re the one jumping my back for telling a loader not to misload. If you can’t take some tough love, UPS ain’t for you. Welcome to UPS, you must be new here.

I think there's a misunderstanding here. Salting the load is not the loader misloading or misrouting.

Salting the load is when a supervisor or manager purposely puts the wrong package on the wrong truck and they make a note of it without telling the preloader. Then the preloader is expected to be aware enough of their work area that they find the misloaded package (the one that they never loaded in the first place). If the loader doesn't find it by the time the driver rolls out (and he/she may not even be aware of the practice), then they're going to get hit with a misload even if they have 100% scans.

You're right about the job being simple. You scan the box, hear the beep, load according to sequence number, adjust to the ground accordingly. Despite that, all the diligence in the world won't help you if you've got a management team encouraging their staff to salt their loader's loads.

Maplewood

My central manager's boss is nuts. They're tossing out suspensions if you miss your salts to everyone to get a point across. I get it, but i like my cheddar. I tried catching everything, but they got me with one that's like a number off from the correct box.

I ain't sweatin it, but after i file my grievance, what do i ask my union?
You need to slow the :censored2: down! Zero misloads. Union cant help you if you cant read. There is no discipline for slowing way down to avoid misloads. UPS has enough money to double up on preloaders.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
My central manager's boss is nuts. They're tossing out suspensions if you miss your salts to everyone to get a point across. I get it, but i like my cheddar. I tried catching everything, but they got me with one that's like a number off from the correct box.

Lbound2

the salt crap is an instant art.37 grievance, only at UPS would they intentionally balloon the missort rate going down.
You get a verbal warning or a warning letter first, they can't suspend you without backpay.
After any step in the didciplinary process you simply slow down and document everything for the next six months lol.
So i have to wait for my letter first before i file a grievance under art. 37?

wayfair

swollen member
I think there's a misunderstanding here. Salting the load is not the loader misloading or misrouting.

Salting the load is when a supervisor or manager purposely puts the wrong package on the wrong truck and they make a note of it without telling the preloader. Then the preloader is expected to be aware enough of their work area that they find the misloaded package (the one that they never loaded in the first place). If the loader doesn't find it by the time the driver rolls out (and he/she may not even be aware of the practice), then they're going to get hit with a misload even if they have 100% scans.

You're right about the job being simple. You scan the box, hear the beep, load according to sequence number, adjust to the ground accordingly. Despite that, all the diligence in the world won't help you if you've got a management team encouraging their staff to salt their loader's loads.

The supe isn't supposed to load the SALT, the preloader is.

Maple Grove MN Driver

Cocaine Mang!
I was a loader for 4 years, a pickoff for 6, and in feeders for 6. I know what the job takes and it isn’t that hard. They even have scanners now that will reject a box if it’s in the wrong truck. I have been with Ups long enough to know the game, so you can stop welcoming me to this site like I don’t know what’s up. Nice to meet you.
You went from being a pickoff to feeders?

I don't believe you

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I was a loader for 14 years on a driver sort and load
I'm confused. How can you be a loader in a driver sort and load center?.. When I started in '76, I was an unloader in a driver sort and load center. I unloaded trailers and the drivers loaded their own package cars. I got a package car job a year later, and loaded my own car for several years till they went to a preload operation.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
You went from being a pickoff to feeders?

I don't believe you

Yup, believe it or not. We do take part timers in as cover drivers until there is a full time opening. I work at a pretty big hub, man. I was actually a shifter for a few months before I went into feeders but I didn’t count that because it wasn’t that long.

RolloTony Brown Town

I wouldn’t sweat it. Teamsters don’t get fired. Only liars and idiots do. So which are you? Lol

For real though you may get put on a notice of term if you screw up enough but lucky for you, teamsters that suck at their jobs have 9 lives also. They’ll give you the benefit of the doubt 100 times.

Not to mention they may trade some of those suspensions for some grievances to go away. Just keep telling your supervisor you’re trying.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
I'm confused. How can you be a loader in a driver sort and load center?.. When I started in '76, I was an unloader in a driver sort and load center. I unloaded trailers and the drivers loaded their own package cars. I got a package car job a year later, and loaded my own car for several years till they went to a preload operation.

Try not to over think it. I was a driver loading my own and 1 other truck.

J

jibbs

The supe isn't supposed to load the SALT, the preloader is.

Really?

My building is either misusing terms or not doing things correctly, and I'm fully willing to believe that we're all just a bunch of :censored2:-ups where I work.

When we're talking about salting the load in my building, it's always when management/supervisors purposely put the wrong package on a truck and expect the preloader to fix the error. I've never understood why they would intentionally sabotage a delivery but I've learned over the years that trying to understand why anyone at UPS does anything is a good way to make your head hurt.

RolloTony Brown Town

Really?

My building is either misusing terms or not doing things correctly, and I'm fully willing to believe that we're all just a bunch of :censored2:-ups where I work.

When we're talking about salting the load in my building, it's always when management/supervisors purposely put the wrong package on a truck and expect the preloader to fix the error. I've never understood why they would intentionally sabotage a delivery but I've learned over the years that trying to understand why anyone at UPS does anything is a good way to make your head hurt.

Does the Pal label match the shipping address? How is it a “salt?” It’s supposed to be a label test to make sure your employees are reading.

As a package supervisor I never salted. I would look for the misloads that were inevitably on car. If there were any I would speak with the employee. If there wasn’t they got a free high five!

tacken

Nothing better then going to work and your management setting you up to fail. Keep throwing those salts in. Thanks UPS ....

J

jibbs

Does the Pal label match the shipping address? How is it a “salt?” It’s supposed to be a label test to make sure your employees are reading.

Ohhhhhh my God, I can see exactly how that got twisted and turned around in my building.

So essentially, you're saying it's just a bad PAL label that a loader's supposed to catch?

[EDIT: To answer your questions, though, yeah, the PAL typically matches the shipping label-- it's just a box that's been intentionally misrouted onto the wrong truck, usually by a PT supervisor.

Now, I might be wrong in calling that salting the load, but I really am just repeating the terms I've heard in my center and tellin' ya what I've seen myself.]

Last edited by a moderator:

RolloTony Brown Town

Ohhhhhh my God, I can see exactly how that got twisted and turned around in my building.

So essentially, you're saying it's just a bad PAL label that a loader's supposed to catch?

[EDIT: To answer your questions, though, yeah, the PAL typically matches the shipping label-- it's just a box that's been intentionally misrouted onto the wrong truck, usually by a PT supervisor.

Now, I might be wrong in calling that salting the load, but I really am just repeating the terms I've heard in my center and tellin' ya what I've seen myself.]

Well let me put it to you this way... if your supervisor is just misloading packages into your truck then he’s an idiot. There’s nothing reachable about that and even if he puts you on super secret double teamster probation he wouldn’t be able to touch you. Just do you job and tell your steward what he’s doing.

J

jibbs

if your supervisor is just misloading packages into your truck then he’s an idiot. There’s nothing reachable about that and even if he puts you on super secret double teamster probation he wouldn’t be able to touch you. Just do you job and tell your steward what he’s doing.

I'm not worried, man, but OP seems to be. You should maybe warn him about super secret double teamster probation, though, that's such a :censored2:ty trap to fall into.

22.34life

Once the new contract is finally implemented the harassment should be kept to a minimum since the penalties are up to 3 times the persons daily guarantee. I'll have article 37 grievances filled out and waiting!
u really believe that,the company has already demonstrated that they are willing to pay the penalty regardless of the price.