Hub is pushing misload problem. Help

542thruNthru

I was a loader for 14 years on a driver sort and load
There were no misloads and there were no little fancy stickers to tell us where on the truck it should go
Dumbing down the job was the first mistake by UPS.
Perfection can be and is a real thing where loading a truck is concerned
When UPS lowered their expectations by creating a thoughtless job they get what they deserve
Seeing it all now with the new drivers
Technology is not the answer
Proper and thorough training is

Try not to over think it. I was a driver loading my own and 1 other truck.

I don't blame the stickers/technology. I blame the amount of work a loader is expected to do in the little time he/she has.

Sorry but loading your truck and your neighbors doesn't compare to being a actual loader that loads 4 sometimes 5 package cars.

I'm a professional driver, doesn't mean I'm a racecar driver. :)

RolloTony Brown Town

I don't blame the stickers/technology. I blame the amount of work a loader is expected to do in the little time he/she has.

Sorry but loading your truck and your neighbors doesn't compare to being a actual loader that loads 4 sometimes 5 package cars.

I'm a professional driver, doesn't mean I'm a racecar driver. :)

4 cars isn’t too bad. 5 cars is dumb and you’re just asking for an injury. I’ve seen employees that struggled to load 3 without misloading. I never blamed the hourly. Supervisor has plenty of time to go through cars. He chose not to. Supervisor should be supporting his people by verifying they’re not misloading.

When working in the Hub, when they SALT you usually means throwing a box with a town that does not go into your trailer onto the belt to see if you catch it or or load it.

Staydryitsraining

I think there's a misunderstanding here. Salting the load is not the loader misloading or misrouting.

Salting the load is when a supervisor or manager purposely puts the wrong package on the wrong truck and they make a note of it without telling the preloader. Then the preloader is expected to be aware enough of their work area that they find the misloaded package (the one that they never loaded in the first place). If the loader doesn't find it by the time the driver rolls out (and he/she may not even be aware of the practice), then they're going to get hit with a misload even if they have 100% scans.

You're right about the job being simple. You scan the box, hear the beep, load according to sequence number, adjust to the ground accordingly. Despite that, all the diligence in the world won't help you if you've got a management team encouraging their staff to salt their loader's loads.
I didnt read everything here but, they can deliberately misload your truck and if you dont find it you can be disciplined?

Brown Wing

Sandbagger
I heard about them doing this not for the preloaders or loaders, but for drivers not attempting misloads. Not only that but no misload message, and no scan just chuck it on the belt upon rtb.

RolloTony Brown Town

I heard about them doing this not for the preloaders or loaders, but for drivers not attempting misloads. Not only that but no misload message, and no scan just chuck it on the belt upon rtb.

Correct. If a supervisor suspects a driver isn’t sending misload messages in and/or not sheeting these packages and they end up as dned (same as missed in basically), then an on road may put a misload strategically in the load.

J

jibbs

I didnt read everything here but, they can deliberately misload your truck and if you dont find it you can be disciplined?

The way I've seen the discipline, it's not direct. A person would get hit with the misload, a PT supe would come around the next day and make them sign a sheet of paper ("This is just acknowledging that I talked to you about it, nothing else.") And then, when/if that preloader becomes problematic and has a legitimately terminable offense, management has a whole history of problems that the employee's acknowledged with a signature. It's more like extra ammunition held in reserve than anything else.

Some supe's are honest about it, though. They let you know that if it keeps happening discipline will start, but I've always thought that discipline is starting the second they come to you and ask for your signature regarding your work performance.

This honestly isn't a frequent practice in my center, but I've seen it happen on occasion. I've also seen PT supe's randomly tossing in packages after they yell "LOAD AND GO" at the end of the sort with no scan, and no concern which truck it's supposed to be on so long as their belt looks clean.

You notice a lot at the bottom of the belt. There's a lot of downtime if you know how to stay ahead of your work and stay until the last package rolls down the belt.

542thruNthru

Like an alligator, baby.
download.gif

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I was a loader for 14 years on a driver sort and load
There were no misloads and there were no little fancy stickers to tell us where on the truck it should go
Dumbing down the job was the first mistake by UPS.
Perfection can be and is a real thing where loading a truck is concerned
When UPS lowered their expectations by creating a thoughtless job they get what they deserve
Seeing it all now with the new drivers
Technology is not the answer
Proper and thorough training is
Don’t forget all of the new drivers with their baggy shorts, hoodies under their shirt-jacs, earbuds in, kinda black sneakers, gauges in both ears and sucking on their vape pen and monster energy drinks all day.. and if you’re quick you can probably catch some of them out in the wild with a backwards ups hat on....hey look, it’s the first group of new 22.4 drivers about ready to go into training.... wearing their street clothes on the first day.....
9D9CE894-7774-49FE-A6B3-4710228B09C9.jpeg
E38A9A66-1DA2-457C-B950-87C1668BEFB5.jpeg
80F8D457-1353-44BC-B619-E620236E749A.jpeg
1B151CAB-E2FB-436A-8621-35DEA1F13F39.jpeg