HUB Mechanics

brostalss

Most common work done by mechanic on your DVIR.

"Adjusted ……"

Didn't know every part on our cars are adjustable.

I'm waiting for a new engine for my package car. Dropped a valve and put a whole in the piston. I'll be lucky if I get it back by peak.

"Adjusted ……"

I'm waiting for a new engine for my package car. Dropped a valve and put a whole in the piston. I'll be lucky if I get it back by peak.

Wow, the whole piston?

Usually problems will show up in the oil at first. What did yours look like?

oldngray

nowhere special
I had a truck out for 3 months for a new engine. The mechanic pulled my truck from the lineup without warning to rebuild the engine because it was getting to the point of low gas mileage and high oil consumption, but it still ran. After he had the engine pulled and torn apart - then he ordered the parts he needed. Or he ordered them a couple of weeks later (I'm not sure). After a month he needed to order more parts so more wait time. And so on. The truck was just sitting behind the shop with nothing being done until I finally got the center manager to pressure the shop to get it finished. And after I had it back for about a week it had to be pulled out of the lineup for a couple of more weeks because the mechanic messed up something. At one time the shop would have parts and spare engines and a car would only be out of the lineup for a couple of days to drop in a new engine. Now "parts on order" is far too common.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Nothing wrong with abusing 1 sip outta a 12 pack.

Just to be clear, I don't work for FedEx. Crazy I know.
Had an uncle that used to say "I'd rather see a church burn down than a beer go to waste!" He was a wise soul.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
The only reason my run exists is to move parts. As such, I have a good rapport with the mechs, and when I have a problem, they fix it. I also only bring them "real problems" not subjective ones like won't pull, or goveneor set to low.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian

"Adjusted ……"

"Adjusted" is what you say when an accurate description of what took place would never fit in the miniscule space on the DVIR.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I had a truck out for 3 months for a new engine. The mechanic pulled my truck from the lineup without warning to rebuild the engine because it was getting to the point of low gas mileage and high oil consumption, but it still ran. After he had the engine pulled and torn apart - then he ordered the parts he needed. Or he ordered them a couple of weeks later (I'm not sure). After a month he needed to order more parts so more wait time. And so on. The truck was just sitting behind the shop with nothing being done until I finally got the center manager to pressure the shop to get it finished. And after I had it back for about a week it had to be pulled out of the lineup for a couple of more weeks because the mechanic messed up something. At one time the shop would have parts and spare engines and a car would only be out of the lineup for a couple of days to drop in a new engine. Now "parts on order" is far too common.
When you are dealing with our in-house parts system, things like this happen. They send the wrong part, they back order it, they don't list it, etc. Then the unexpected is found. Hidden damage, etc. That said, your mechanic should have had the rebuild parts already in hand based on an educated guess before pulling it and dismantling. When you are on a cash-only basis with local vendors, it only complicates matters more needing approval to purchase, and especially if the tab exceeds $1000 (which requires a "highcost" approval from the higher-ups).

browntruckmechanic

Well isn't that special ?????????
What a most of those that are griping about don't understand that. WE are at a loss as well as you, You have stupid and policies that make you jobs difficult, well try some of ours. Here in Mesquite we have 290 package cars and around 330 tractors. 5 yrs ago we had a parts inventory of around 2 mill dollars, today it's somewhere around 600k. We as well as you are set up to fail. Some bean counter has figured that if the car is sitting outside in the red tag area it is not using fuel, and a driver is not working it is saving the company money. To the best that I can understand if that car is not on the highway it is not producing revenue for the company, which seems counter productive, but I don't have a business degree. Currently we have 11% of the package fleet is on red tag either waiting parts, or we are so short handed that we just don't have enough time to do it all. currently we are only allowed 1 hour overtime a day. Any one that has half a brain can figure out that you can not run a fleet on a 9 hr day, and to top it all off we have just been told that we will be working a 6th report till the end of time. Now that's a real morale booster.

wo88upsman

I come into Mesquite hub everynight, most all of the mechanics I have delt with have been happy to help me with anything I need done to my tractor and I thank them for it. I found out a long time ago what ever happens a big Thank you goes a long way next time you need help.

Sent using BrownCafe App

I come into Mesquite hub everynight, most all of the mechanics I have delt with have been happy to help me with anything I need done to my tractor and I thank them for it. I found out a long time ago what ever happens a big Thank you goes a long way next time you need help.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Rule #1

Always be nice to the person who knows how to "fix" your brakes.

feeder05

The mechanic was polite when he said he couldn't fix my problem, as was I when I asked him. Told the mechanic my problem that is assigned my tractor at a out lying HUB and he has ordered me a new seat. I know that mechanics are over worked and under staffed and they have always been very helpful to me in the past. Alls well that ends well.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
.. and the one who has to remember to tighten the lug nuts after changing a tire (I had that problem more than once :halfdead: ).
Had a period of that happening to me. Turns out the duplex socket we had was grabbing the inner nut which was already tight rather than the outer one.

The mechanic was polite when he said he couldn't fix my problem, as was I when I asked him. Told the mechanic my problem that is assigned my tractor at a out lying HUB and he has ordered me a new seat. I know that mechanics are over worked and under staffed and they have always been very helpful to me in the past. Alls well that ends well.

You never did define what your seat problem was.

Alexcross774

Spinning my wheels.
A couple things. Not fixing a tractor because it's not from your center is BS. The cost aspect is doesn't matter either because ultimately the parts are charged to the vehicle, which carries the cost to the home center. Automotive here works on tractors from 2 other districts besides our own, they can select non-domiciled equipment in AIS and put time on tractors within the Region, and any trailer. Either the mechanics don't want to do the work, or the management isn't letting them.

S

selfcancelsignal

Yeah, but you know what happens then. The mechanic gets the DVIR and writes "ok to run."
Or red tags it & gives you a bigger POS. Can you tell I loathe our centers mechanic yet?

Sent while driving from my flip phone via T9 word.