HUB Mechanics

Or red tags it & gives you a bigger POS. Can you tell I loathe our centers mechanic yet?

Sent while driving from my flip phone via T9 word.

Maybe he redtags it because he has drivers nickel and diming him on write ups especially on Fridays. One way to get the point across to a PIA driver is to tag his equipment and let him drive a s-box for a while.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
A couple things. Not fixing a tractor because it's not from your center is BS. The cost aspect is doesn't matter either because ultimately the parts are charged to the vehicle, which carries the cost to the home center. Automotive here works on tractors from 2 other districts besides our own, they can select non-domiciled equipment in AIS and put time on tractors within the Region, and any trailer. Either the mechanics don't want to do the work, or the management isn't letting them.
Good to know. I always had the problem trying to charge time and parts for an out-of-district piece. Nobody told me you could pull up others. Wonder why they try making that distinction in AIS.

S

selfcancelsignal

Maybe he redtags it because he has drivers nickel and diming him on write ups especially on Fridays. One way to get the point across to a PIA driver is to tag his equipment and let him drive a s-box for a while.
No excuse. If Friday is a work day, just do your friend---in' job. I have to.

No excuse. If Friday is a work day, just do your friend---in' job. I have to.

Yea, but when all the drivers hang on to their rigs all week instead of getting them fixed on Monday because they might have to drive a spare , turn them in on Friday then they should shut the friend--- up and not cry when they don't he it back promptly.

I write up issues as they come up but will sometimes save anything major for the day before I go on vacation.

Major as in maybe a new seat, fine. Safety related , you should get it fixed as it happens. Hanging on to equipment till vacation Friday and then dumping it in the shops lap is a good way to get a " waiting for parts " tag put on it till long past your return.

oldngray

nowhere special
Major as in maybe a new seat, fine. Safety related , you should get it fixed as it happens. Hanging on to equipment till vacation Friday and then dumping it in the shops lap is a good way to get a " waiting for parts " tag put on it till long past your return.

Sucky is coming back from vacation and finding out your cover driver had just written up a bunch of stuff on the previous Friday. Usually nothing serious but forced the mechanic to look at a bunch of mostly whiny type issues (this truck is hard to steer/the back door is hard to open/needs new wiper blades/etc.) but means your truck is still in the shop.

Sucky is coming back from vacation and finding out your cover driver had just written up a bunch of stuff on the previous Friday. Usually nothing serious but forced the mechanic to look at a bunch of mostly whiny type issues (this truck is hard to steer/the back door is hard to open/needs new wiper blades/etc.) but means your truck is still in the shop.

A good mechanic will glance at the list, see that it's a cover driver, and sign off on any non-safety issues and give you back your rig with a note telling you to give it a once over and come back if it's truly needed.

When I was on vacation a wrapper fresh newbie redtagged my shifting horse because the hazmat guide book was out dated. He signed off on it and put the tag in the dvir book for me to see for chuckles.

Alexcross774

Spinning my wheels.
Good to know. I always had the problem trying to charge time and parts for an out-of-district piece. Nobody told me you could pull up others. Wonder why they try making that distinction in AIS.
I'm not sure, but I would guess the fact that AIS is about 15 years out of date has something to do with it.

dragracer66

If you're talking the air bag that supports the seat then most defineatly it's safety. If you mean the lumbar , then it's not.
That said, if it's safety then the mechanic HAS to fix it or they need to swap you into another tractor for the trip home. It is a UPS tractor. He is a UPS mechanic. When they perform a repair they take down the tractor number for their records/timecard.
In the future ask the mechanic courteously. If he refuses then go to dispatch and let management solve the issue. Tell them you cannot leave until it's fixed. If that fails call your management team and have them call dispatch where you're at.
If it's a legitimate safety issue that has cropped up you can redtag the equipment regardless of where you're at.
Cach... I totally disagree. The air bag is 100% not safety. The only safety part is the front to back movement the reclining or the seatbelt. Most feeder guys don't even use the air part of the seat. If it was me and the same driver came in I would have looked at it and if it was blown I would have asked him to finish his trip back to his building with it. If he didn't want to drive it that way then no problem he gets a spare. Maybe the mechanic was to busy to fix it. He could have been short handed that night or had a crap load of write up's. He may have not handled it correctly but, not just drivers are the only ones overloaded right now.

Cach... I totally disagree. The air bag is 100% not safety. The only safety part is the front to back movement the reclining or the seatbelt. Most feeder guys don't even use the air part of the seat. If it was me and the same driver came in I would have looked at it and if it was blown I would have asked him to finish his trip back to his building with it. If he didn't want to drive it that way then no problem he gets a spare. Maybe the mechanic was to busy to fix it. He could have been short handed that night or had a crap load of write up's. He may have not handled it correctly but, not just drivers are the only ones overloaded right now.

I'm not talking the lumbar support. I'm talking the airbag in the frame that keeps the seat from bottoming out on the floor which is most DEFINATELY a safety issue as it would prevent the driver from being able to properly reach the controls. EVERY feeder driver uses the air suspension on the seat as it is the ONLY means of setting the seat height as well as the means of preventing back injury on rough roads.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I had a driver at a previous employer who so fat, the only way he could get behind the wheel and drive was to have the bag completely deflated. lol