Hypothetical Question number 2

ups1990

A while back I wrote about how much authority can an on-road supervisor who happens to be on vacation, have on you while on route.

This question deals with a situation that almost took place a few weeks back.

While enjoying a day off here in sunny warm So Cal. I was driving behind our neighborhood Wal Mart, my buddy who delivers to them almost hit me head on at a slow speed. If we were to have had this fender bender and not reported it to management, we know that this would be a terminating offense for the driver but what about me? Could they fire me for dishonesty because it involved one of their vehicles and currently is an employee of UPS?

brownedout

I would have to say that since he would be 100% reporting it or be fired, said report would also include you, being part of the accident.

bbsam

Staff member
Only a guess, but I would say that yes they would have an easy trail to your termination. First it would be termed an "integrity issue" and upon further investigation would find you complicit in the cover-up.

ups1990

Only a guess, but I would say that yes they would have an easy trail to your termination. First it would be termed an "integrity issue" and upon further investigation would find you complicit in the cover-up.
There lies the issue, how much authority does an employer have on an employee off the clock? We know that for failing to inform UPS of a DIU can lead to termination, so our conduct outside of uniform does have bearing on our employment.

Johney

So what your saying is if your car is wrecked by a UPS truck driver being your friend or not you wouldn't want UPS to fix your car? So file a false claim through your insurance? I would tell driver sorry dude you need to call it in. Now if there was no damage I'm not sure what I'd do.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
There lies the issue, how much authority does an employer have on an employee off the clock? We know that for failing to inform UPS of a DIU can lead to termination, so our conduct outside of uniform does have bearing on our employment.

Only if what you do affects your ability to do your job, or for the company to insure you while doing it. Hence the DUI issue.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Are you telling us that in the above scenario if either the driver or the OP, or both, failed to report the accident, that both of them would not be fired?

What I am saying is the person not driving the UPS vehicle and not on the clock, is no different than any other individual driving down the street. What power does UPS have over them?

If the driver of the package car did not report a crash and it was found out by the company they would definately lose their job. No matter who the other person involved is.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
They can fire anybody, for anything, whenever they want.
The real question would be, would it stick?
How long would you be off and would you be awarded back pay at the panel(s) or arbitration hearing?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I've seen a driver off the clock, confront and subsequently beat up another driver who was on route.
They were both fired and both got their jobs back, eventually.
Neither got back pay, including the onduty driver who never threw a punch.

brownedout

I've seen a driver off the clock, confront and subsequently beat up another driver who was on route.
They were both fired and both got their jobs back, eventually.
Neither got back pay, including the onduty driver who never threw a punch.
That's become a monthly, almost teetering on bi-monthly occurrance. No firings, not even warning letters, a couple of sit-downs and finger wagging, thats all.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
They can fire anybody, for anything, whenever they want.The real question would be, would it stick? How long would you be off and would you be awarded back pay at the panel(s) or arbitration hearing?
If the participation of the off duty employee was determined to be the cause of the accident and both cover it up, I would say they could make a case for dishonesty (if the cover up continued in an on the clock interview) and theft if ups had to repair damage to their pc. It sucks, but thats what the question seems to be asking.

ymelord

What the off duty person needs to be careful of is, if UPS finds out about the accident and ask that person any questions about it, that he doesn't lie trying to protect the driver, and himself. At that point he is on the clock, and would be screwed.