I could have sworn I smelled doobage....

W

want to retire

Intellectually vacant??

Yes. Throwing up your hands and saying "at least we will get revenue out of it".....solves nothing. I think(just my opinion) that folks in support of legalization are seeking(in the end) a path to legal usage(for themselves). Not always. I had a relative close to me say "I would if I didn't have to pee in a cup for work". A former user. I believe whatever stimulation attracts in the beginning lies waiting. I'm not trying to sound sinister. Like a sober(former user) cannot ever go there for fear of not stopping. Not always. Look around you. I think, as UPS'ers we live at a different station allowed by a well above average salary and healthcare. And, by the standards we must meet. Not always. It's disappointing(to me) to see mature folks have the attitude of "it's just a little weed". And, "can't wait to retire....smoke a little weed in the afternoon". And, how about our kids, youth-our future? How about your kids? Look around....like what you see? It's just a part of it. Sanctimonious? No. Full disclosure: my view comes from watching addiction destroy family and relatives. Watching kids of relatives underachieve....they all say "it's just a little weed"....cigarettes, alcohol and weed. I'm no Boy Scout. So yeah, when someone says "it's just a little weed, legalize it".......in my opinion, it's pretty hollow.

Indecisi0n

Yes. Throwing up your hands and saying "at least we will get revenue out of it".....solves nothing. I think(just my opinion) that folks in support of legalization are seeking(in the end) a path to legal usage(for themselves). Not always. I had a relative close to me say "I would if I didn't have to pee in a cup for work". A former user. I believe whatever stimulation attracts in the beginning lies waiting. I'm not trying to sound sinister. Like a sober(former user) cannot ever go there for fear of not stopping. Not always. Look around you. I think, as UPS'ers we live at a different station allowed by a well above average salary and healthcare. And, by the standards we must meet. Not always. It's disappointing(to me) to see mature folks have the attitude of "it's just a little weed". And, "can't wait to retire....smoke a little weed in the afternoon". And, how about our kids, youth-our future? How about your kids? Look around....like what you see? It's just a part of it. Sanctimonious? No. Full disclosure: my view comes from watching addiction destroy family and relatives. Watching kids of relatives underachieve....they all say "it's just a little weed"....cigarettes, alcohol and weed. I'm no Boy Scout. So yeah, when someone says "it's just a little weed, legalize it".......in my opinion, it's pretty hollow.

Some people are mature and can handle it. Just like there are millions who drink socially but aren't drunks.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Do you gamble? Do you buy scratch-offs? That's hollow.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Like I said---legalize it and tax it.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Some people are mature and can handle it. Just like there are millions who drink socially but aren't drunks.
Exactly why should I be punished just because other people have an addiction problem. My brother in law is an alcoholic it runs in the family. The thing is its not just alcohol. He has addictive tendices period. He quit drinking and started on soda. That's right 3-4 two liters a days. When he quit that he started working out. Not an hour a day no it was two or three times a day. He does everything in excess. Does that mean I should get punished? No!!!!

PS. I've never smoked weed likely wouldn't if it were legal. With that said it should be legal. I've never heard a decent argument against it.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

You are confusing legalization with promotion.

No one said marijuana is harmless. But if our goal is to minimize the damage that marijuana does to society as a whole, the answer is to legalize and regulate it rather than continuing to prohibit it. The reality is that the war on marijuana does more harm to society than the drug itself. Itis "intellectually vacant" for our government to regulate and tax substances such as tobacco and alcohol that are far more physically and mentally damaging than cannabis. As a taxpayer, I do not want my hard-earned tax dollars being wasted on trying to fight a war that we cannot possibly win. I too have been on the front line of the "war on drugs", and I have experienced firsthand the futility of trying to use our criminal justice system to combat a medical and spiritual problem.

W

want to retire

Exactly why should I be punished just because other people have an addiction problem. My brother in law is an alcoholic it runs in the family. The thing is its not just alcohol. He has addictive tendices period. He quit drinking and started on soda. That's right 3-4 two liters a days. When he quit that he started working out. Not an hour a day no it was two or three times a day. He does everything in excess. Does that mean I should get punished? No!!!!

PS. I've never smoked weed likely wouldn't if it were legal. With that said it should be legal. I've never heard a decent argument against it.

Interesting. Exactly why are you being punished? You don't use. right? In your view, why do think weed is illegal now? What's "decent" to you? And, knowing the effects of drug culture and seeing firsthand addictive behavior.......how low do we go? What's your bar?

Brownsfan

Holy crap! For a minute i thought this pic from Delhi, CA. The weed capital of the world. But then it occoured to me, that cant be delhi, the fence is to nice.

W

want to retire

It would serve to reduce the burden on our judicial system by eliminating petty misdemeanor possesion cases.

And increase the number of "petty" DUI and all the rest of drug culture "cases". Close one door and open another. I'll ask you.......why do you think it's illegal now? Just keep lowering the standard, ever lower....just give in, give up. It's not about money.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
And increase the number of "petty" DUI and all the rest of drug culture "cases". Close one door and open another. I'll ask you.......why do you think it's illegal now? Just keep lowering the standard, ever lower....just give in, give up. It's not about money.

Because there are any number of powerful special interests who seek to maintain the status quo.

One of the original reasons for prohibiting marijuana was that it was perceived by white society back in the 1930's to be a "black" drug.

The timber and newsprint industry was also an early proponent of marijuana prohibition because the hemp plant from which cannabis is derived is a far more efficient and fast-growing source of fiber than timber is. The timber companies did not wish to give up its virtual monopoly on the industrial-scale production of fiber and paper products.

Lets also not overlook the DEA, a government agency whose #1 priority ( like all government agencies) is to perpetuate its own existence and secure a source of funding at the taxpayer trough.

One definition of insanity is to continue the same action over and over while expecting a different result. By this standard, our prohibition of cannabis is quite clearly insane. The billions of dollars we waste annually trying to eradicate, prohibit, prosecute and incarcerate our way out of this "problem" would be far better spent on funding treatment programs for addicts with a sincere desire to quit. Addiction (a topic with which I have a great deal of personal knowledge and experience) is a medical problem not a legal one and it needs to be treated as such.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Interesting. Exactly why are you being punished? You don't use. right? In your view, why do think weed is illegal now? What's "decent" to you? And, knowing the effects of drug culture and seeing firsthand addictive behavior.......how low do we go?
What's your bar?

I'm being punished because your taking away might to choose. Solely based on the fact that a small percentage of the population have addictive tendencies.

Weed is illegal for a few reasons. It still has a stigma attached to it from the 60's. You yourself batch it in with "drug culture". If you had been around many smokers you would know its certainly not the same type of people that do coke or heroin or meth. This is how people think of it and it's just flat not true. I also think its too easy to grow at home and the government thinks it would be too hard to collect tax money.

I'm assuming you think we should go back to prohibition? Look how well that turned out. Many lives would be saved millions of dollars saved and millions more created by tax revenue if we just had the foresight to legalize it.

Oh and the fact that something like 60% of people believe it should be legal is good enough for me.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
My husband is on morphine for pain. It makes him ill, nauseous, tired, and is destroying his body. Without it he will have another heart attack brought on by extreme, excruciating pain.
He had the shots which now are causing meningitis, no wonder, they line those people up like cows to a slaughter, and inject him. Do they help? they helped some, in his case made him worse.
I long for the day when it can be found easily, I for one cannot find it, I know who has it, sells it, But dont feel safe going to get it. When he had it he was much more fun, much more enjoying his life and was a treat to be around.
Instead 400 miles anywhere from where we live, it is available for medicinal use, but not here.

When he broke his back in 85, he was not expected to ever walk again, but he does, and as he ages, the pain gets worse. I guess it is the arthritis from the injury. All I know is if he had it he would enjoy life more,I dont know if it should be illegal, or decriminalized, or what should be done with it. I just think it should be an option in all 57 states, not just in 16.
And no I dont smoke it, probably wouldnt, but just like alcohol, dont drive. Also it is very easy to ticket someone for driving impaired, its in the blood, urine and hair. In my case Im pure as the driven snow in all areas.
Just let people who have problems pick their poison.