I do not care anymore!

Rainman

Its all good.
36 years in. I do what I do for my personal satisfaction, not concerning myself with trying to hit numbers. I used to think the world if my job, now it's a paycheck. I hope to be leaving soon, but started my family late, so I may have to stay longer than I anticipated. The sad thing is, the way the company is set up to operate now, it actually encourages not caring. Do what you do because it's the right thing to do, screw the rest.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
image.jpg

SCV good to go sir.

I am just serving out my time towards my retirement. I do not care about service, quality of work, damage packages, crushed or open packages, dirty packages, or anything to delays me from going home. I DO NOT CARE ANYMORE!

From the perspective of a rookie driver, this is kind of scary to read as it can easily be me 10-20 years from now. Possibly 12 more years before retirement? Obviously you're a seasoned vet OP and I respect that, allow me to be frank. How long before your apathy causes you to make that mistake that makes things worse than they are now?

Even if you decide to serve the rest of your time with absolutely zero emotional investment in this job, there has to be enough of a concern to not have safety incidents and service issues. I'm really reluctant to talk to a more experienced driver like this, nor is it my intent to give out a PCM during our time off. Just understand that from where I am, it really seems like you're on the brink of losing it at any moment and doing something (either intentional or not) that will result in dire consequences. I'm pretty sure none of us want to see that. That's where I'm coming from. However, the amount of seniority that I have with this company is enough to put in a smalls. Feel free to tell me to shove it and I will retract this post.

36 years in. I do what I do for my personal satisfaction, not concerning myself with trying to hit numbers. I used to think the world if my job, now it's a paycheck. I hope to be leaving soon, but started my family late, so I may have to stay longer than I anticipated. The sad thing is, the way the company is set up to operate now, it actually encourages not caring. Do what you do because it's the right thing to do, screw the rest.
Well said

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
From the perspective of a rookie driver, this is kind of scary to read as it can easily be me 10-20 years from now. Possibly 12 more years before retirement? Obviously you're a seasoned vet OP and I respect that, allow me to be frank. How long before your apathy causes you to make that mistake that makes things worse than they are now?

Even if you decide to serve the rest of your time with absolutely zero emotional investment in this job, there has to be enough of a concern to not have safety incidents and service issues. I'm really reluctant to talk to a more experienced driver like this, nor is it my intent to give out a PCM during our time off. Just understand that from where I am, it really seems like you're on the brink of losing it at any moment and doing something (either intentional or not) that will result in dire consequences. I'm pretty sure none of us want to see that. That's where I'm coming from. However, the amount of seniority that I have with this company is enough to put in a smalls. Feel free to tell me to shove it and I will retract this post.
Shove it

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Wut?

rod

Retired 22 years

Almost every driver that I ever knew reached the point of not giving a rats butt about anything anymore at sometime in their career.. Some of them way earlier than others. It all depended on how they were treated/ignored/belittled/ chastised and told daily what a lousy employee they were. A person can only hear about what a POS he is so many times before he says---you know what--its worthless to even try anymore. Once they reach that point there is no going back to becoming an interested/involved employee. For me it was about 20 years into my career that I said to myself--screw it----I ain't working here one day longer than I have to (30 years).

Last edited:

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
27 years in as part time, PT Supervisor, and full time drive. Was gunho for most of my career until we went public. As everyone knows, Service has been down since. I still tried to care and follow the goal that Jim Casey had. But only numbers matter now. So I will ONLY do what I can to go home that day. ONLY what I can do to hit my retirement. Will not rush to meet air commitment, will not retape packages (no allotment), will not wait for packages to shipped, or anything that I do not have a time allowance for. I DO NOT CARE! One stop at a time.
I was gung ho when we went public. The shares I bought earlier quadrupled.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Almost every driver that I ever knew reach the point of not giving a rats butt about anything anymore at sometime in their career.. Some of them way earlier than others. It all depended on how they were treated/ignored/belittled/ chastised and told daily what a lousy employee they were. A person can only hear about what a POS he is so many times before he says---you know what--its worthless to even try anymore. Once they reach that point there is no going back to becoming an interested/involved employee. For me it was about 20 years into my career that I said to myself--screw it----I ain't working here one day longer than I have to (30 years).

It's sad, Rod, that it had to come to that point for so many of us.

I started in 1978 in a center with less than 20 routes. Hired off the street (big expansion in the area), made seniority right away with benefits and they had me hooked.

It was never an easy job, but back then local management ran their show by themselves for the most part. We had a pain-in-the-butt center manager, but if some of stopped after work for a beer and he came in, he was certainly welcome. What happened at work stayed at work.

Over the years, and especially after the 1997 strike and the company going public, everything changed. Production became king at the expense of customer service.

I really feel sorry for the new guys, and even some that were hired 5 or 10 years after me. I would be surprised if many of them can make the long haul nowadays.

SCV good to go sir.

Almost every driver that I ever knew reached the point of not giving a rats butt about anything anymore at sometime in their career.. Some of them way earlier than others. It all depended on how they were treated/ignored/belittled/ chastised and told daily what a lousy employee they were. A person can only hear about what a POS he is so many times before he says---you know what--its worthless to even try anymore. Once they reach that point there is no going back to becoming an interested/involved employee. For me it was about 20 years into my career that I said to myself--screw it----I ain't working here one day longer than I have to (30 years).

So how do they keep their jobs if they have late air or are driving unsafely?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
It's sad, Rod, that it had to come to that point for so many of us.

I started in 1978 in a center with less than 20 routes. Hired off the street (big expansion in the area), made seniority right away with benefits and they had me hooked.

It was never an easy job, but back then local management ran their show by themselves for the most part. We had a pain-in-the-butt center manager, but if some of stopped after work for a beer and he came in, he was certainly welcome. What happened at work stayed at work.

Over the years, and especially after the 1997 strike and the company going public, everything changed. Production became king at the expense of customer service.

I really feel sorry for the new guys, and even some that were hired 5 or 10 years after me. I would be surprised if many of them can make the long haul nowadays.
It's a factory job now.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
First of all you NEVER drive unsafely. Secondly if you are going to have late airs call it in/send them a message---put it in their ballpark. Its their problem.

This. I'd have airs scattered from the start of my route to 50 miles out at the end. I'd point that out, and if they had an air driver, fine. If not, on trace. End of conversation.