I drink your milkshake! a metaphor for capitalism

rickyb

It ebbs and flows. But putting things on credit had been long established, but exploded with the wide use of credit cards. Not Reagan's or any other president's fault.
looking at the graph above it looks like it started under carter. but you can blame economics on political decisions in part. the economy became financialized around then i think. and wages stopped rising in 73, so consumers made up for it with debt.

vantexan

looking at the graph above it looks like it started under carter. but you can blame economics on political decisions in part. the economy became financialized around then i think. and wages stopped rising in 73, so consumers made up for it with debt.
Always looking for someone to blame. Much of it, most of it, is about personal responsibility.

rickyb

Always looking for someone to blame. Much of it, most of it, is about personal responsibility.
BS. personality responsibility is a way of absolving the system of all blame. im in favor of personal responsibility too but not as this all encompassing thing the right wing makes it out to be.

vantexan

BS. personality responsibility is a way of absolving the system of all blame. im in favor of personal responsibility too but not as this all encompassing thing the right wing makes it out to be.
No, folks like you always blame others for your failings. It's a mix. We have to take responsibility for the decisions we make. And at times forces within the economy are beyond our control due to the decisions of those in power. There are a lot of people these days who have left the system, don't try to fight it. They're living on Federal land in old RV's, vans, cars. Or have built small homes that are off grid and they grow their own food. They worked until they could obtain an independent income and are no longer working until they die to keep up appearances and make rich people richer. Quite a few have gone overseas where they can stretch their incomes and be ok on little. The way I see it if the system is failing a large portion of the population then they can choose to be miserable or they can look for alternatives. Ultimately it's taking advantage of the freedom of choice we have in this country. Having some bureaucrat tell me that's not allowed, you must conform to the group isn't freedom. And it's not just bureaucrats. Many a Tom, Dick, and Harry out there who's working hard to have things can't stand if someone isn't playing the same game. More power to them but I'd rather do what I want when I want than hump for things that are always in the distance, made to feel less if I don't meet some standard.

rickyb

No, folks like you always blame others for your failings. It's a mix. We have to take responsibility for the decisions we make. And at times forces within the economy are beyond our control due to the decisions of those in power. There are a lot of people these days who have left the system, don't try to fight it. They're living on Federal land in old RV's, vans, cars. Or have built small homes that are off grid and they grow their own food. They worked until they could obtain an independent income and are no longer working until they die to keep up appearances and make rich people richer. Quite a few have gone overseas where they can stretch their incomes and be ok on little. The way I see it if the system is failing a large portion of the population then they can choose to be miserable or they can look for alternatives. Ultimately it's taking advantage of the freedom of choice we have in this country. Having some bureaucrat tell me that's not allowed, you must conform to the group isn't freedom. And it's not just bureaucrats. Many a Tom, Dick, and Harry out there who's working hard to have things can't stand if someone isn't playing the same game. More power to them but I'd rather do what I want when I want than hump for things that are always in the distance, made to feel less if I don't meet some standard.
yea its a mix of personal responsibility and economic forces. and im not saying its 50/50, i dont know what it is, but im guessing the system has more blame than the person. french cafe guy down the block says they dont have debt out there like they do in canada. i dont think most people can self regulate when it comes to credit cards. i sortve like what you wrote.

rickyb

free van living about to take off:

1595887487039.png