I drink your milkshake! a metaphor for capitalism

rickyb

Stephanie Kelton ‏@StephanieKelton 2h2 hours ago

Remember, 3% growth is unrealistic and unattainable because America's best days are behind her. (Or because politics.)

C45qLyzVUAA87Yq.jpg

rickyb

3 people have now compared trump to boris yeltsin.

boris yeltsin was the US backed russian president who presided over a 4 year drop in life expectancy over a period of 3 years, and mass immigration from russia.

kleptocracies. 1. a government or state in which those in power exploit national resources and steal; rule by a thief or thieves.

in this episode of keiser report, he interviews nomi prins who is the famous former goldman sachs employee turned financial journalist. the trump administration has 5 goldman sach employees in it, including the number 2 goldman executive.

max thinks if trump fails to deliver on his promises for the white under employed voters, then in 1.5 years they will have lost their patience.

max interviews michael hudson who predicted the housing bubble and is one of my favorite economists. hudson also think trump will be america's boris yeltsin.

Last edited:

rickyb

No CEO: The Swedish company where nobody is in charge

Crisp holds four-day meetings for all staff two to three times a year. They are used to making decisions on issues that affect everyone, such as an office move, but workers are encouraged to make decisions themselves at other times.

It also still has a board - a legal requirement - and this can be used as a last resort to resolve issues if something is not working.

Henrik Kniberg, an organisational coach at the firm, argues that not having to ask a boss for decisions on projects or budgets means the firm can respond faster.

"If you want to get something done, you stand up and start driving that," he says.

Yet Mr Kniberg stresses that not having to ask permission does not remove the need for staff to discuss issues or bounce ideas off each other.

Because they are all in charge, workers are more motivated, he argues. Crisp regularly measures staff satisfaction, and the average is about 4.1 out of five.

rickyb

CN and CP rail used to be great companies to work at, and they were unionized. i believe they were privatized and taken over by the americans (see hunter harrison) and now they are pretty bad places to work at, even though they remain unionized. they are so bad these days that the company pays people to write fake glowing reviews on websites where employees review their employers.

im guessing the same can be said for UPS.

which brings me to my point that being unionized is not good enough. labor has to figure out something more to at least protect, and even improve their jobs.

rickyb

i thought this quote was interesting. i heard richard wolff comment on stay at home mothers.

"the essence of labourism was that labour rights – more correctly, entitlements – should be provided to those (mostly men) who performed labour and to their spouse and children. As workers previously had little security, this was a progressive step. But it was inherently sexist and hierarchical, privileging those doing regular paid labour over those doing other forms of work, unpaid and outside the labour market, such as childcare and work in the community."

from wkmac's recent article:
Two-thirds of drug research is funded by taxpayers, while patents add $140 billion to the annual price of drugs in the United States."

i cant remember what some of the other guys say about patents but i know max keiser is quite critical of the patent and copyright system.

rickyb

my coworker is european so i asked him if your asked other europeans should they take not 5 weeks paid vacation per year, but 2 weeks like canada and america, he said most of them would say no. he thought it was strange that people would worry more about employers well being than workers well being.

rickyb

michael hudson talks about the pension looting by wall street, how people have not much money saved, trumps plans for social security. this is in an economic system where a small fraction of hte population has more than enough, and its getting harder for everyone else.

rickyb

Plight of the underclass with Linh Dinh

they talk about the poverty, the economy, politics, and the grim future that lies ahead if we continue to do nothing.

"If we don't take action now
We settle for nothing later
Settle for nothing now
And we'll settle for nothing later
If we don't take action now
We settle for nothing later
We'll settle for nothing now

If we don't take action now
We'll settle for nothing later
We settle for nothing now