I drink your milkshake! a metaphor for capitalism

rickyb

at the ICE raids segment, they have immigrants in for profit detention centers where they are either forced to work all day for $1 / day or go into isolation. i believe a judge called it slavery and told the private prison corporation they cant do that. this is where the economy is headed; these are the most ideal working conditions for capitalists.

another ironic part was what the capitalists / government are doing to puerto rico is going to just savage their economy and cause the puerto ricans to immigrate to the mainland. theres 3.5 million puerto ricans ;)

00:00 - Announcements etc. 09:15 - Intro
10:19
- Why Republicans want to replace Obamacare
17:29
- Caterpillar’s tax evasion
25:25
- ICE raids and illegal slavery enforced on detained immigrants
31:23
- Harvard acknowledges its historical ties to slavery, fails to acknowledge its current ties to corporations and its tax exempt status
42:57
- Greece and Puerto Rico: the people being forced to pay for the actions of politicians and having their countries taken over by outside powers
49:38
- “The Trump Slump”: Trump’s policies harm tourism in the US leading to severe risks to the economy
52:23 - Bill Gates and Carlos Slim: The richest people in the world, income inequality and what counts as a justified reward for contributions to society
59:42
- Why the US keeps increasing its already bloated defense spending
1:05:20
- An increasing number of US citizens over 60 have student loan debt
1:09:16
- Main topics: Women's Day, women's movements, social change and what to learn from the past, is capitalism fading?

rickyb

C.J. Polychroniou: Noam, in several of your writings you question the usual view of the United States as an archetypical capitalist economy. Please explain.

Noam Chomsky: Consider this: Every time there is a crisis, the taxpayer is called on to bail out the banks and the major financial institutions. If you had a real capitalist economy in place, that would not be happening. Capitalists who made risky investments and failed would be wiped out. But the rich and powerful do not want a capitalist system. They want to be able to run the nanny state so when they are in trouble the taxpayer will bail them out. The conventional phrase is "too big to fail.""

he continues: "Today social mobility in the US is below other rich societies."

"Now, the so-called American Dream was always based partly in myth and partly in reality. From the early 19th century onward and up until fairly recently, working-class people, including immigrants, had expectations that their lives would improve in American society through hard work. And that was partly true, although it did not apply for the most part to African Americans and women until much later. This no longer seems to be the case. Stagnating incomes, declining living standards, outrageous student debt levels, and hard-to-come-by decent-paying jobs have created a sense of hopelessness among many Americans, who are beginning to look with certain nostalgia toward the past."

Babagounj

Strength through joy
he should have mentioned the rising levels of students who are currently not even attempting to pay their student loans and think that the gov't should just forgive them .

rickyb

student debt is now another bubble
the canadian dream is a disaster too, costs way to much to go to school, jobs arent so great, and we have a massive housing bubble. i dont think its as bad as the american dream, but it could be that way in the next few decades

Last edited:

Babagounj

Strength through joy
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/20/business/david-rockefeller-dead-chase-manhattan-banker.html
David Rockefeller, Philanthropist and Head of Chase Manhattan, Dies at 101
He was the last surviving grandson of John D. Rockefeller, the tycoon who founded the Standard Oil Company in the 19th century and built a fortune that made him America’s first billionaire and his family one of the richest and most powerful in the nation’s history.

As an heir to that legacy, Mr. Rockefeller lived all his life in baronial splendor and privilege, whether in Manhattan (as a boy he and his brothers would roller-skate along Fifth Avenue trailed by a limousine in case they grew tired) or at his magnificent country estates.

rickyb

im gonna title this post "capitalist mysteries"

theres this guy at my work and he does 10% of the work of everyone else, hes been there for a very long time and im guessing hes been doing this for a long time.

anyways one of the guys who works with him says the bosses dont say anything to him, and when hes around they dont tell the other workers to work faster either. but when hes gone they tell everyone to work faster.

so i cant figure it out, i always thought the capitalists in north america could easily dispose of workers like this even if they were unionized.

on a side note, one of hte bosses pull him into the office a few months ago and apparently he kicked the boss and the boss punched him in the face. i thought they were both fired but i heard from a reputable source that he is on sick leave and will get his job back in the summer. when he comes back im taking him out for lunch. hes like a good terrorist; he metaphorically blew him self up and took out the boss everyone hates.

i was talking to another worker that if everyone acted like this (not the violence but the resistance to capitalism) we would actually be free and not have capitalism. he agreed...

rickyb

i am very optimistic about another massive financial crisis:

they didnt re-regulate the banks
theres a massive student debt bubble
theres an auto loan bubble
stock market bubble
and a commercial real estate sell off.

Last edited:

rickyb

Glenn Greenwald Retweeted
Matthew Zeitlin‏Verified account @MattZeitlin 7h7 hours ago

The white working class is going through a public health reversal with few precedents in US history https://www.buzzfeed.com/matthewzeitlin/deaths-of-despair-white-working-class-americans-are-dying?utm_term=.bsB0nw1vm#.mtG8aZAMK …

C7okeKEXgAEKuoB.jpg

rickyb

you should check out what glenn greenwald says about brazils economy; he lives there.

capitalism is ruining the planet and it has ruined america. well the other thing that ruined america was bad government policy. it never really "freed" people, but they had more freedom than slavery although capitalism is pushing standards of living down now and in the third world capitalist workers have standards of living comparable to slavery.

im reading bio 12 and they mention the coral reefs and rainforests which have been destroyed because of humans. they also mention how we are headed for mass extinction and the number of species lost per day